motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Safety & Race Preparation Roll cages, harnesses, seats, weight reduction, etc. Anything pertaining to taking your car to the highest level of performance.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Safety & Race Preparation

Old 09-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Exclamation The ONLY R56 Bolt-in Harness Bar!

KappaSphere is proud to be the first to develop a bolt-in harness bar for the R56 MINI! The monkeyBAR! We are track enthusiasts at heart and recognized immediately the need for a bolt-in harness bar solution for the R56.

Our parent company, Sector111, is the industry leader in the Lotus Elise/Exige aftermarket performance space. When the Elise first hit our shores in '04/'05, we were the first to sort a harness bar for that car. We've now applied our knowledge and experience from the Lotus to the MINI Cooper. The monkeyBAR has been develop to allow the use of a proper 4-point racing harness safely and easily in your R56 MINI. The bar is made to orient the harness in a safe and fully secure manner.

NO Permanent Modifications Needed!
The monkeyBAR is a bolt-in solution which means there is no cutting or welding required to install it. The mounting points used are all the factory tested seat belt mounts. The initial install of the brackets takes about 2-3 hrs. After that, it'll take you less than 30 min to transform your R56 from a hot hatch to a harnessed racer/canyon carver!

*shown in silver for contrast. Production model is powder coated black
Click the image to open in full size.

The monkeyBAR is IN STOCK & ready to ship!

Last edited by Kappasphere; 09-02-2009 at 04:27 PM..
Old 09-01-2009, 08:02 PM
µ Leadership

wow, very nice
Old 09-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Shouldn't the bar be shoulder height?
Old 09-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlnewby View Post
Shouldn't the bar be shoulder height?
Great question. We were the first company to put a harness in the Lotus Elise when it came to the US. Since then, we've perfected bolt-in harness bars and, for the monkeyBAR, worked with Schroth to get the correct angle for the harness. The monkeyBAR positions the harness at a safe, downward angle following Schroth's guidelines.

We also use all of the stock seat belt mounting points on the car. All of these points have been extensively crash tested by BMW making them the safest place to mount a harness bar.

Thanks for the question rlnewby!
Old 09-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Here is a picture of the black production monkeyBAR installed on a customer's car:
Old 09-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Not bad. I agree it could be a bit higher and closer to the seat. You need to add harness guides on the shoulder harness bar. Most events won't pass it in tech without them, not to mention that they are very necessary.
Biggest issue here is that you are now using a 5-6 point harness as a 4 point (minus the anti-sub strap), which is not such a good thing and would also have tech issues.

Thanks for bringing nice things to the Mini community!

Greg V
Old 09-10-2009, 01:22 PM
μ

Looks like a nice design. As with most products for any car they evolve over time but I don't think any of the suggestions would be too difficult to add for a second version.

Sector111 has some great stuff. I might be getting in touch with you about some of their products and adapting them to MINIs or my current Miata.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by onasled View Post
Not bad. I agree it could be a bit higher and closer to the seat. You need to add harness guides on the shoulder harness bar. Most events won't pass it in tech without them, not to mention that they are very necessary.
Biggest issue here is that you are now using a 5-6 point harness as a 4 point (minus the anti-sub strap), which is not such a good thing and would also have tech issues.

Thanks for bringing nice things to the Mini community!

Greg V
Greg,

Just wanted to address some of your concerns. The monkeyBAR does have harness guides for the shoulder straps. You just cant see them in the picture. I've attached a picture where they are visible.

The harness we have available for the monkeyBAR is the Schroth PROFI II ASM. It isn't a 5/6-point run as a 4-point. Schroth's ASM (or Anti-Submarine) harness utilizes a special "ASM" patch that prevents submarining in the event of a crash. Schroth has designed this technology to allow the safest possible use with a 4-point harness. This is the same 4-point ASM harness used in our Lotus Elise/Exige. We worked closely with Schroth to make sure the monkeyBAR is located in the safest position/angle and run with the safest harness for this application.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

OK, good stuff! I gather the lap belt plugs into the factory lap belt receptacle? I think maybe you mentioned that in an earlier post come to think of it. In that case the recoil of the factory pickup point helps with the anti-subbing.

Nice job.

Oppps, nope, I see that the lap belt, from that last pic, does not use factory recept. Hmmmm, I'm thinking then that maybe the anti sub part you are mentioning is expandable right side shoulder harnes?
Old 09-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by onasled View Post
OK, good stuff! I gather the lap belt plugs into the factory lap belt receptacle? I think maybe you mentioned that in an earlier post come to think of it. In that case the recoil of the factory pickup point helps with the anti-subbing.

Nice job.

Oppps, nope, I see that the lap belt, from that last pic, does not use factory recept. Hmmmm, I'm thinking then that maybe the anti sub part you are mentioning is expandable right side shoulder harnes?
It does not "clip in" into the buckle. The lap belt is bolted onto the factory mounting location for the buckle. Much stronger.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:22 PM
μ

Even better! It's like the second version came out since this morning. So are you operating out of the same facilities as sector111, or are you just a partner company? It would be cool to see some lotus/mini relations.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Even better! It's like the second version came out since this morning. So are you operating out of the same facilities as sector111, or are you just a partner company? It would be cool to see some lotus/mini relations.
Haha We operate out of the same facility. We are Sector111. Kappasphere is a division of S111. The Lotus/MINI relationship is strong here! We like lightweight, fun to drive british cars!....(We also have an Ariel Atom)
Old 09-10-2009, 09:36 PM
μ

Too cool. I'd like to get one of your mirrors for my Miata sometime in the future. Tall guys in little cars need more visibility!
Old 09-10-2009, 10:24 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to TheWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Too cool. I'd like to get one of your mirrors for my Miata sometime in the future. Tall guys in little cars need more visibility!
Try wearing pink
Old 09-10-2009, 10:40 PM
µ Leadership

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
Try wearing pink
Add a rainbow flag to your antenna too.