motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Safety & Race Preparation Roll cages, harnesses, seats, weight reduction, etc. Anything pertaining to taking your car to the highest level of performance.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Safety & Race Preparation

Old 09-29-2007, 07:36 PM
µ Leadership

Default Steering wheel swap

I was just wondering how hard it was to swap steering wheels. Im wanting to go to a momo or sparco, suede steering wheel Kinda like the ones in the mini cooper challenge cars. Any info is good. Thanks
Old 09-29-2007, 09:51 PM
μ

randy from m7 did the conversion. I believe so did gnatster. There is an adapter you can either get or make... don't remember which. It didn't seem any more difficult then a roll cage install if i remember correctly.

brb with linkage.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:15 PM
µ Leadership

yeah ive seen randy's and gnasters. thats why i was asking if anyone had instructions or anything
Old 09-30-2007, 12:07 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Pretty straight forward. Read the airbag info in your shop manual, before you attempt to remove it. Follow it to the letter. If you don't have a Bentley manual, buy one. They are very handy to have. The swap is very easy.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:43 AM
µ Leadership

sweet, will do
Old 09-30-2007, 05:55 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

It's easy if you don't want the turn signals to self cancel or the horn to beep. If you want those features you need to use a certain Momo hub and machine it. Search NAM for 'momo hub' and you should find the tread.

So much has been said by so many people who know so little about what’s going on, that it’s truly breathtaking to contemplate. Peter M. De Lorenzo

Old 09-30-2007, 06:05 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to xxTHIR13ENxx Send a message via MSN to xxTHIR13ENxx Send a message via Yahoo to xxTHIR13ENxx

If you do this, can I have your stock wheel?? I mean, is it a 2-spoke or 3-spoke?? And if it's a 2, does it have the 'sport bumps' at 10/2?? I've been searching for a 2-spoke wheel with bumps since forever now..

Good luck,
Leo.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:11 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to justintime Send a message via Yahoo to justintime

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnatster View Post
It's easy if you don't want the turn signals to self cancel or the horn to beep. If you want those features you need to use a certain Momo hub and machine it. Search NAM for 'momo hub' and you should find the tread.
I remember the horn on the crx was a major PITA. If the wires touched any metal it would sound the horn. but I couldnt do it with the battery undone or I couldn't be certain it worked. And the steering wheel was to much trouble to take back apart just to switch some wires so needless to say the neighbors were not thrilled with that install

omgzz
Old 09-30-2007, 07:46 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
I was just wondering how hard it was to swap steering wheels. Im wanting to go to a momo or sparco, suede steering wheel Kinda like the ones in the mini cooper challenge cars. Any info is good. Thanks
Give BMP a call I just installed a Momo 330mm suede wheel with adapter. The installed was very easy. Make sure you disconnect the battery before messing with the airbag. I love it.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:49 AM
µ Leadership

Well that certain momo hub is gonna also be on the list. haha I want the horn and self cancelling feature. I also want to relocate my cruise control like you did gnaster
Old 09-30-2007, 07:50 AM
µ Leadership

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmturbo View Post
Give BMP a call I just installed a Momo 330mm suede wheel with adapter. The installed was very easy. Make sure you disconnect the battery before messing with the airbag. I love it.
awesome will do
Old 09-30-2007, 08:02 AM
µ Leadership

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxTHIR13ENxx View Post
If you do this, can I have your stock wheel?? I mean, is it a 2-spoke or 3-spoke?? And if it's a 2, does it have the 'sport bumps' at 10/2?? I've been searching for a 2-spoke wheel with bumps since forever now..

Good luck,
Leo.

sorry, ive got the three spoke wheel
Old 01-16-2008, 09:55 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to RFIbanez

I thought about doing something like this also, anyone know which momo hub is needed?

I can get momo products, just wondering which one I'd need.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:00 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFIbanez View Post
I thought about doing something like this also, anyone know which momo hub is needed?

I can get momo products, just wondering which one I'd need.
#2008 Then it needs some machining.

Or there was a thread on NAM recently about a Japanese sourced hub thats looks like it does not need machining.

So much has been said by so many people who know so little about what’s going on, that it’s truly breathtaking to contemplate. Peter M. De Lorenzo

Old 06-23-2008, 04:54 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnatster View Post
#2008 Then it needs some machining.

Or there was a thread on NAM recently about a Japanese sourced hub thats looks like it does not need machining.
Yep the Japanese sourced hub can be ordered from:
http://www.worksbell.co.jp
They have an English site, but it does not give part no. info etc. You have to send in an information query to find out which part you need (and any of the air bag delete options etc) to then place the order. Problem is that both the info request and order pages are in Japanese.
The Japanese are a cagey bunch to order from as well - it seems they do not usually like to ship outside of Japan and so do not tend to take international orders.

On the machining topic - can anyone provide info on what exactly needs to be done to the MOMO hub? Is it just machining to allow fitment of the self cancelling plate etc?

Cheers.