motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 10-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Question r50 oem parts

I have a friend that just got an r50. He is going to autocross it in stock class. I know that alot of suspension parts are shared between r50 and r56.

Is the SS+ sway bar the same as the r56s stock one?

I am pretty sure the r56s springs aren't the same as the SS+ are they?
Old 10-13-2009, 06:19 PM
μ

nope they are different. I am sure that you could get the sway bar to fit, but if he is gonna be in stock class (H-Stock) I'm assuming, in the unlikely chance he gets pinged for it, he'll loose what ever points he has. The SS Plus bar from a R50 or an R53 is easy to find, go that route.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

dammit i thought you was gonna be getting rid of some r50 parts lol i wanna trade my silver S spoiler for a reg cooper spoiler
Old 10-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by R50 Paul View Post
nope they are different. I am sure that you could get the sway bar to fit, but if he is gonna be in stock class (H-Stock) I'm assuming, in the unlikely chance he gets pinged for it, he'll loose what ever points he has. The SS Plus bar from a R50 or an R53 is easy to find, go that route.
Yeah he is going to be running in HS. I figured that was the but never know till you ask.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by imortalsin84 View Post
dammit i thought you was gonna be getting rid of some r50 parts lol i wanna trade my silver S spoiler for a reg cooper spoiler
Sorry and good luck
Old 10-14-2009, 12:02 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Hey guys, I'm the friend! Just got rid of my Z4 to build an H-Stock Mini. Anyways, here's the deal:

It's a pre 03/02 Mini. The suspension to have for Nationals is the SS+ package. I know the springs and shocks on the front end are different from pre 03/02 to post 03/02. That having been said, if I buy SS+ springs and sways, and buy post 03/02 Koni shocks, will they bolt in where the old front suspension went?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on where to get the SS+ parts? I keep hearing they're easy to find, but have yet to find any

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Old 10-14-2009, 12:04 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

welcome to the underground dave
Old 10-14-2009, 12:30 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinbillies40 View Post
Hey guys, I'm the friend! Just got rid of my Z4 to build an H-Stock Mini. Anyways, here's the deal:

It's a pre 03/02 Mini. The suspension to have for Nationals is the SS+ package. I know the springs and shocks on the front end are different from pre 03/02 to post 03/02. That having been said, if I buy SS+ springs and sways, and buy post 03/02 Koni shocks, will they bolt in where the old front suspension went?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on where to get the SS+ parts? I keep hearing they're easy to find, but have yet to find any

Your help is greatly appreciated!
mini junk yards or (hate to bring up this site but) NAM has a lot of stuff for sale should def check over there
Old 10-14-2009, 12:57 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

NAM has been usless so far. Junkyards aren't the best option because it will be hard to verify if they're the SS+ springs or not. Thanks though!
Old 10-14-2009, 12:59 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

oh if you want to find part numbers if it comes to that realoem.com is the place
Old 10-14-2009, 02:15 AM
μ

The pre 03/02 production MINI's had the sway bar endlinks attach under the strut mount base, where as the new style have the endlink attach to the body of the strut. So mixing new with old will not work.

Another way to get SS Plus springs would be to go to your local MINI dealer and give them your VIN and they will provide you with the "proper" part numbers that your MINI would require, as the spring rates are based off of what your MINI is equipped with. The more crap on your car like a sunroof, Harmon Kardon Sound System, Nav, and so on will give you a higher spring rate. Of course you could just walk into the dealer and ask for the springs with the highest rate for a Cooper.

Other than the dealer option, NAM, or MotoringAlliance are your best bets.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:36 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Seriously? They had different spring rates for different cars?? Then yes, highest spring rate would be the best option.

If it's just sway bar mounting points that are different, that's not a big deal. I'll be switching springs and sways with OEM, and if I get post 03/02, I'll just get the correct shocks from Koni. Should work out well.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:40 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to xnotfunkylex

Quote:
Originally Posted by R50 Paul View Post
The pre 03/02 production MINI's had the sway bar endlinks attach under the strut mount base, where as the new style have the endlink attach to the body of the strut. So mixing new with old will not work.

Other than the dealer option, NAM, or MotoringAlliance are your best bets.
Unless you go all new. I have coilovers for a newer model and all I had to change was the enlinks and top hats.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Retired

Send a message via ICQ to Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinbillies40 View Post
Seriously? They had different spring rates for different cars?? Then yes, highest spring rate would be the best option.
Yes, they have like 8 different springs depending on the options built into the MINI.
You could also try to get a used JCW suspension for your MINI, which handles alot better than stock but is hardly recognizable as accessory.

9 of 10 voices inside my head say I'm crazy. One is whistling...
Old 10-14-2009, 11:47 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

Thanks for the advice, guys! I just went to the local dealership today and they were able to give me the part number that would have been the correct SS+ springs for my car, so now I just have to find a place to get them at less than expensive local dealer pricing.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:26 AM
μ

Try Pelican Parts, they sell OEM replacement parts.