motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Gravel & Snow Rally and rallycross talk.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > Gravel & Snow

Old 06-13-2015, 10:55 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via Skype™ to Puma
Default "Rally" mods for R60

Hi all,

Excuse my excitement, but I recently broke my thumb so instead of going outside and doing active things, I'm sitting on my couch thinking about what I want to do to Stella.

So part of what I want to be able to do with the R60 is hammer some dirt roads in Northern California when I'm not tooling around the city of San Francisco. To do that, I'm looking at a few things...

Before we go onto the off road mods, I plan to install an SSK, coilovers, camber plates, rear lower control arms, rear sway bar, CAI, exhaust of some sort, and a BBK. That should allow me the kind of engine and handling performance I'd want before pulling off the pavement. I'll do some reading on Subaru and rally forums to see what they're doing to their cars too, as I'm kind of doing this blindly right now.

Pre-modding necessity: rubber mats. Are the OEM ones the best option, or should I look at Weather Tech instead?

First up, rally lights. I want to run one or more of the following:
- A quad light setup in front of the upper grille. Seen this done, but curious as to what (if any) effect it will have on cooling.
- A 37"-42" (need to measure for fit) LED bar mounted to the roof rack rails. This would need custom mounts made (don't mind doing that), and may not fit the aesthetics of the MINI. It would, however, provide insane light power, which keeps it in contention.
- Dual 8"-10" LED bars mounted in front of or behind the upper grille. This would probably look cool, but I don't know how well the lighting would actually work. It would have to be LED lights instead of halogen to avoid adding heat to the radiator/ intercooler area. This option could be combined with the roof-rack mounted LED bar.

I'd want to be able to toggle the lighting completely independently of the factory lights. Ideally, I'd install an OEM switch in a blank spot in my overhead switch board (by the reading/ mood lights).

Second item: mud flaps. MINI has a factory option, and as long as they work well at keeping stones off the side of the car and other drivers' windshields, I'm game to go that route. Anyone have experience?

Third up: underbody panels. High-strength metal skid plates would be a must for spirited off road driving. Has anyone made them yet? I have plenty of local shops that could help me fabricate something, or I could just grab some 1/8" steel plates and my Dremel and go to town.

Lastly, wheels and tires. I don't plan to run the Rotiforms off road, so I'd need something that'd fit that bill better. Are OZs worth it? Should I be looking for anything in particular when considering wheels and tires? Obviously the tires would need to be more knobby and suited for dirt, but should I go down to 16" rather than 17" for the wheels? How about width? 8"? 8.5"?

This is all kind of a long-term idea, but I figure why not start asking around now? Any feedback would be appreciated!

Old 07-24-2015, 09:31 AM
μ

Rubber mats: I had the OEM rubber mats in mine and they were fantastic. Captured everything and they were easy to wash off. Plus they didn't slide around under my feet.

Lights: LED light bars are the way to go. I have a 32" 180W bar on my truck and it turns night into day. A 42" would be mental on the Mini. Have you considered installing a roof rack and mounting the light bar to the underside of the front rack?

Wheels and tyres: I don't have experience in this, but I would suggest an all terrain tyre fitted to a 16" wheel will give you the grip you need. I would go with the widest footprint you can manage without sacrificing suspension travel or turning.

I've got a 'truck' that came with highway tyres (265 wide on a 17" rim, OD 31") and they provided little traction on gravel roads. I swapped them over to a 285 on a 17" rim (OD 33") and the difference in traction was night and day.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:27 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default R60 Rally stuff

Puma a few things I ran across looking for mods on my R60, thought I'd pass it along.

Rally Lights: on the quad lights R53, I believe NAM , it indicated that very little issues with air flow with Alta lower grill Light bar, I believe VIP is the only quad light bar for R60

http://www.vipcustomparts.com/R60%20parts%20page.htm

Wheels: MINI Countryman Prodrive ATS WRC spec wheels 5x120

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-Country...881906&vxp=mtr

Mud Flaps: JAOS Front + Rear Mud Guard Splash Flap Mini Crossover Countryman R60 11-15

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAOS-Front-R...cb5c57&vxp=mtr

Front Skid Plate : http://www.detroittuned.com/detroit-...an-skid-plate/

2" lift kit : M7 and Crappy

Tags
countryman, dirt, hella, led, lights, off road, r60, rally