motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 07-07-2016, 02:22 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default Is my 2008 mac salvageable?

I have a 2008 Mac desktop that's just garbage now. The IOS is way out of date but the program's we have that used to run fine now do not( illustrator, photo shop, indesign). Nothing has changed on the computer except elapsed time..... We rarely even turn the thing on.

Wife opened a picture in photoshop and did one edit and it took about 15 minutes....

Is it worth/possible to get it running like it used to?
Old 07-07-2016, 03:03 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD

How much RAM, what type of hard drive?

That generation is a capable box in general, but the baseline configs on them are not very good. So, unless you good a build-to-order one, there's likely plenty of stuff to upgrade at a reasonable cost to get more oomph out of it.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:21 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via MSN to beken Send a message via Yahoo to beken Send a message via Skype™ to beken

I have a 2008 iMac updated and maxed out a 6GB of RAM and the harddrive updated to 1TB.
I am running the latest version of OSX (El Capitan) OSX 10.11

If you are still running the original operating system that came with it, Leopard - OSX 10.5, it should still work.

You should probably back up all your data and do a full reload of the OS. Disk Utilities can also scan and see if your machine's harddrive has any defective sectors on it.

The next version of the OS was 10.6 - Snow Leopard and that is a very good upgrade to go to. Subsequent updates tended to slow down the machine a bit. By the time you get to 10.9, it will be almost unuseable unless you install more RAM and perhaps use a Solidstate harddrive. Though EL Capitan 10.11 seems to run a bit better than 10.9, and 10.10

I understand that if you buy a new iPhone and want to sync to your Mac, it requires at the mininum, OSX 10.7 - Lion. Your machine should be able run Lion smoothly.