motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Picture Requests Looking for something? Request it here.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > The Exhibit Hall > Picture Requests

Old 09-09-2008, 05:14 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
high dynamic range its a merge of usually 6-15 photos of every stage of the tonal range of the same object / place it creates a photo that isnt normal possible its why all the colours etc are so over defined and why all the details are visible
Actually High Dynamic Range is a bit more complicated than that. HDR Photography is different than say a TRUE HDR image. I can open an HDR image and stop it up and down at my will for instance.

High dynamic range pixels use floating-point numbers, capable of representing light quantities of one to a million and beyond. Low-dynamic range images usually represent pixels using eight bits per channel, with pixel values ranging as integers between 0 and 255.

This can be done with a HDR camera, but nowadays is done with multiple exposures typically... and started out that way.

Here's more on the subject

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

I have been using HDR images for almost 10 yrs in 3D animation... it's very interesting to see how it's being used now with photographic technology making it available to the laymen.

Last edited by Bombardier; 09-09-2008 at 05:20 PM..
Old 09-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via MSN to Haggis Send a message via Skype™ to Haggis

id love to know how to do proper HDR and 3D animation thanks for all the info will have a proper read up when im not so tired (up too late last night watching firefly for the 10000000th time)
Old 09-09-2008, 05:40 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tüls View Post
Actually High Dynamic Range is a bit more complicated than that. HDR Photography is different than say a TRUE HDR image. I can open an HDR image and stop it up and down at my will for instance.

High dynamic range pixels use floating-point numbers, capable of representing light quantities of one to a million and beyond. Low-dynamic range images usually represent pixels using eight bits per channel, with pixel values ranging as integers between 0 and 255.
Bit depth isn't really the same thing as dynamic range. Dynamic range is a function of exposure, where you can capture a wider range of lighting situations while maintaining detail in each of them in the same photograph. HDR basically makes it so that the detail of an open aperture on dark subjects and of a closed aperture on bright subjects are both shown on the same image. Here's an example of how HDR works:

Click the image to open in full size.

To the left are the bracketed photos. Notice on the bottom one, you have no detail of the objects on the ground. On the top one, you have little detail in the clouds. Combine the images and you end up with detail in the entire photo.

What you're describing is bit depth, not dynamic range. Bit depth defines how much you can differentiate colors from each other, by using a larger number of values for each channel. More on bit depth here: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut.../bit-depth.htm

Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuls
This can be done with a HDR camera, but nowadays is done with multiple exposures typically... and started out that way.

Here's more on the subject

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

I have been using HDR images for almost 10 yrs in 3D animation... it's very interesting to see how it's being used now with photographic technology making it available to the laymen.
The term "HDR" in animation is used a bit differently than in photography. I've noticed that in video games, "HDR" is used to describe an engine that represents light more accurately by simulating an aperture. For example, when you come out of a tunnel in Gran Turismo, everything is momentarily washed out until the engine simulates the closing down of the aperture (or the human pupil). When you first enter a tunnel, everything is too dark and lacks detail, until the engine simulates the opening of an aperture (or the human pupil).
Old 09-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via MSN to Haggis Send a message via Skype™ to Haggis

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDiaz View Post

The term "HDR" in animation is used a bit differently than in photography. I've noticed that in video games, "HDR" is used to describe an engine that represents light more accurately by simulating an aperture. For example, when you come out of a tunnel in Gran Turismo, everything is momentarily washed out until the engine simulates the closing down of the aperture (or the human pupil). When you first enter a tunnel, everything is too dark and lacks detail, until the engine simulates the opening of an aperture (or the human pupil).
like in halo3 when you run out into the open and eveything adjusts
Old 09-09-2008, 06:29 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Is this sort'a what you're referring to, Chris?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenEXR

Storing high dynamic range image data in a single file?
Old 09-09-2008, 06:52 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDiaz View Post
Is this sort'a what you're referring to, Chris?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenEXR

Storing high dynamic range image data in a single file?

yes sorry... my point... was that it's not as simple as just the kewl photos we see, or the games, or the processes used in rendering... it's much more broad was all I was getting at.