motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 10-20-2012, 02:48 PM
μ

Sorry to hear about the foot, Dave. At least you'll have time to recover before Boston.

I had my first post-pneumonia run Tuesday night. Lungs burned in the cold air, but my breathing settled right on time. I only went 3 miles to slowly get my legs used to it again. They were sore for the next few days.

I attempted a long run this morning... shooting for 8-10 miles at below my normal pace. By mile 4 I knew that wasn't going to happen so I reset my goal to 6 miles. Pace and form suffered around mile 4 but I kept pushing. I was able to pick my pace back up the last mile and ended up at 6.32. Not what I wanted but I don't think my expectations were realistic considering my illness. Hope to hit 10 miles again next weekend in Vegas.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:23 PM
μ

I've always hated running. Hated it. I've got bad knees from high school sports injuries so any impact, within a short period of time, became excrutiating. Cheryl and I still weight train, but I absolutely hate to do cardio in the gym. Having several friends that are avid runners and watching them drop some serious weight got me motivated to give it a try. I can't stress enough to beginning runner, like me, to get the right shoe for your foot/stride. It makes all the difference. A local company here called Blue Mile uses a video recording of you running on a treadmill to analyze your gait. I found out that I pronate badly on impact. They recommended a pair of Brooks that had additional support on the outside edges to compensate for that. I haven't had any knee pain yet. Today I ran a full mile and this was my 5th day so far. Sure, a mile isn't much, but I feel darn proud considering I never thought I could run at all due to my knees. We're hoping to work up to a 5k.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:24 PM
μ

That's great Adam. I'm glad the shoes are working for you. I wouldn't stress about pronating. I'm no pro but I believe that its more about form than anything.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:22 PM
μ

Thanks BJ! I wouldn't consider it to be a big deal normally, except that this is the first time since high school that I can run without knee pain. I have a hard time not attributing it to the pronation now that I have shoes that will compensate for it. I by no means know ANYTHING about running at this point, other than the right shoe made a night and day difference for me.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:14 AM
μ

Yep. The great thing is you're running and doing it without pain and that's awesome!.

Got in about 10 miles today on the Las Vegas strip. It felt pretty good too except for all the steps up and down the walkways. Those things suck.
http://instagram.com/p/RS0TVQmDSU/
Old 11-12-2012, 12:37 AM
μ

Today was my half marathon and it was a blast. Before the pneumonia I was shooting for a 10 min/mi avg, but I since lowered it to 11. I ended up at 11:02 with a 2: 24:43. I was steady at just below 10:30 for most of the race until I started getting pain in a hip adductor muscle (I think) at mile 10. My quads started cramping in the last two miles and that killed my time. I can tell missing a month of training really screwed me at the end. Next time...

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Pir8 97; 11-12-2012 at 01:29 AM..
Old 11-12-2012, 01:00 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir8 97 View Post
Today was my half marathon and it was a blast. Before the pneumonia I was shooting for a 10 min/mi avg, but I since lowered it to 11. I ended up at 11:02 with a 2: 24:43. I was steady at just below 10:30 for most of the race until I started getting pain in a hip adductor muscle (I think) at mile 10. My quads started cramping in the last two miles and that killed my time. I can tell missing a month of training really screwed me at the end. Next time...
That's a very good pace for your first time. Cramping is typically a sign of low electrolytes ("What plants crave!" if you've seen Idiocracy) - what'd you have before the run? Asports drink might help with that...
Old 11-12-2012, 02:33 PM
μ

that seems like an excellent time to me, congrats!
Old 11-12-2012, 03:36 PM
μ

Congrats BJ!! Great time!

Did you use any gels or energy blocks during the run? Those really helped us out during ours.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:06 PM
μ

I had a power bar, banana & Gatorade for breakfast. 2 Gu gels, 1 pack of Gu chomps, 2 stops for Gatorade and 2 for water during the race. I also drank 2 bottles of Gatorade per day the 3 days before the race while carbo loading. I've never experienced cramping and spasms like that during a run before. Very strange.

Thanks for all the good words and advice. I'll take all I can get.

I think my next step is to follow training for a full marathon. I'll probably run another half before doing a full.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:29 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir8 97 View Post
I had a power bar, banana & Gatorade for breakfast. 2 Gu gels, 1 pack of Gu chomps, 2 stops for Gatorade and 2 for water during the race. I also drank 2 bottles of Gatorade per day the 3 days before the race while carbo loading. I've never experienced cramping and spasms like that during a run before. Very strange.
Very. I wouldn't expect cramping with that much Gatorade unless you were losing a lot of fluids due to sweating.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:33 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by epb View Post
Very. I wouldn't expect cramping with that much Gatorade unless you were losing a lot of fluids due to sweating.
And that makes it even more strange. The temp was in the low-mid 60's. I was barely sweating at all. Could it have been muscle spasms due to fatigue causing the muscles to over tighten that lead to the cramping? I'm at a loss.

Edit: I may not have had enough fluids the day before. That could have been my downfall. I was out having too much fun with the family.

Last edited by Pir8 97; 11-13-2012 at 03:19 PM..
Old 11-13-2012, 01:39 PM
μ

Send a message via MSN to Captain Claw

They have a run here you might like BJ. It's called the crescent city classic. You get free booze while you run haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by that7guy View Post
I have a strong dislike for small humans
Old 11-13-2012, 10:18 PM
μ

Send a message via ICQ to KiLO Send a message via AIM to KiLO Send a message via MSN to KiLO Send a message via Yahoo to KiLO

Doin' this in February... Anyone done it?

www.toughmudder.com
Old 11-14-2012, 10:21 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLO View Post
Doin' this in February... Anyone done it?

www.toughmudder.com
They've been pushing there thing like crazy on Facebook. I see ads every time I login.