motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 05-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default I need some Legal/moral advice

So I moved into this very large appartment complex in late September of this year. This appartment complex gives us one designated carport and if you have two cars you are free to park one other car in any spot marked "open". I work late nights and when I get back there are absolutely no open spots so my only choice is to park in my designated spot. This would be fine if I drove an suv or something but the parking spot has a large drainage ditch infront of it and when I pull out I scrape so hard it pulls my front bumper off. So I go into my management office and ask them if they can assign me a different spot. They say that they will ask corparate and get back to me. A few weeks later they call me and say that they cannot move my spot or assign me a different one because each appartment is assigned a specific one (which is a load of bullshit). So being the engineering student that I am I build this ramp. It cost me 50 bucks at Lowes and a half an hour to make and I think it looks pretty damn good.

Click the image to open in full size.

Anyways they called me today and they said that the owner saw my ramp and didnt like it, and they are asking me to remove. What the hell am I supposed to do? I asked them to move my spot, they said no, I solved the problem myself so I can park in the spot that I pay for. And they are going to make me remove it. I'm so frustrated at this point I have no Idea what I should do. I dont know if there is any legal action I can take or if I should go to coperate or something. I have no idea.

http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6709&dateline=1335062  411
Old 05-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

IMO, as far as legal recourse you probably don't have much, but I do have one question, is your car lowered or the suspension or tire size different from factory spec.'s in any way?

The reason I ask is because if you do try & fight this, that is probably the first thing they would try and use against you.

The only other thing I could think of would be a major PITA, but you would have to find a way to lock those up in front of your spot & just move them in place every time you use them.

I would think that if you were so inclined you may have a legal arguement for getting out of your lease if it came down to that or you so desired. (of course depending on how your lease is written regarding parking)

My only real advise is to take a bunch of pictures documenting the problem and potential risk of damage to your vehicle, including potential costs of repairing the damage if it should occur. (hell maybe you could use that to sway them? )

Oh...I would start dealing with the owners and/or corporation directly, get rid of the middle man, at least you'll know that management isn't just blowing smoke up your a** as to if your problem is actually being addressed seriously (and let them know your doing so, they just might let you keep the ramps to keep you quiet and themselves out of the corporate radar). And make sure you document every contact ( verbal or written ) in case it gets ugly. (a written chronological record of all the events can only help you.)

Just my $.02, Good Luck.

Just hope the old one dies a fiery death.
But I'm not bitter....

Last edited by BlwnAway; 05-25-2012 at 12:07 PM..
Old 05-25-2012, 02:33 PM
μ

Back the car in.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:13 PM
μ

Find another tenant w a suitable parking spot and negotiate a gentlemans agreement.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:19 PM
μ

You're an engineer, figure out how to make a portable ramp that folds up and fits in your trunk.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr View Post
You're an engineer, figure out how to make a portable ramp that folds up and fits in your trunk.
Or just move the ramps into your parking spot when you're not using them. That way they're away from the road.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:24 PM
μ

Have you talked to the "owner"

Pretty confident they'd be more reasonable that the chodes at the lower level. If not. Talk to corporate your self. Be professional.

As for your car being lowered. They dont need to know that. Also. I really doubt if it is pulling off your bumper stock ride height matters.

I say just leave it. They might remove it but in the mean time. Screw em.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:27 PM
μ

Send a message via Skype™ to CANYON MINI

If no other option presents itself you can try some more creative lumber skills until your lease is up.

Keep 2 pieces of 2x6 wood on the floor of your trunk, and lay them down over the gutter when you come & go.

Or just cut the boards you have now down to trunk/boot size & away you go!
Old 05-25-2012, 03:29 PM
μ

being socal I don't think you're gonna have much luck. Most of the landlords around here are assholes and they can be because the rental market is a sellers market right now. It's not uncommon for most of these apt complexes whether they be single owner or corporatly owned to be total dickwads about uniformity. Typically only when it bests meats them...

other than speaking directly to the property owner you have little to no recourse and stuff like this will be a common problem being a car guy living in a rental. Ask me how I know.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:43 PM
μ

Send a message via Skype™ to CANYON MINI

Lift kit!
Solves the gutter crossing issue & you could crush the managers golf cart!
Old 05-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

If you know how to get hold of "corporate" send them a nice letter explaining the situation and an estimate of the repair costs to your car if you are forced to continue using the carport w/o allowing the ramps.

You could also leave the ramps in your spot and only pull them out when needed. I know it would be a major PITA, but you wouldn't subject your car to the gutter.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Yep...

I say go above their heads and get a real explanation of why they can't move you or why you can't keep the ramp in place.

Other than that, break your lease and cite "Black Mold" as the issue.

Supposedly this can't be touched in a court of law.

Good luck.

I hate it when people ego trip and draw a line in the sand over something stupid.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:19 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm going into the main office today to try and talk to the highest up person I can and get some contacts as to how to talk to corporate. Hopefully they will see my situation and atleast let me keep the ramps.

http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6709&dateline=1335062  411
Old 05-25-2012, 07:02 PM
μ

I think coming up with some portable version would be a good idea if you can. They're probably worried about some idiot not seeing it and tripping on it somehow, getting injured and legal garbage
Old 05-25-2012, 10:25 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryTimeIDie027 View Post
They're probably worried about some idiot not seeing it and tripping on it somehow, getting injured and legal garbage
this is gonna be your problem- liability issues if the ramps stay; like others said, make 'em fit in the car or trade spots if someone is willing