motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 09-09-2012, 01:05 PM
μ

Default The Runners' Corner

I find good motivation reading the experiences of other runners. Share your stories, training, failures and triumphs as well as give encouragement.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:37 PM
μ

Going to summarize the last 6 months ...

I started running around the end of February of this year.. I used a couch to 5k (c25k) app for my phone and ran in the warehouse at work with 2 others.

My first 5k was as the anchor for a triathlon relay team in June. The course was on a lakeside golf course with tons of steep hills and jumps. It wasn't an astonishing time by any means (31:36), but we came home with the silver.

Click the image to open in full size.

After this race I had trouble with shin splints. I decided to start transitioning to minimalist running. I bought a pair of Brooks PureCadence shoes as a transition shoe. After that my shin splints were much better.

My second race was at the end of June and my age group was much more competitive and I finished 16th. My official time was 30:01.

The training at work got stagnant after that. The friends I was running with seemed to lose focus. We'd run different intervals that were never more than 20 minutes. One day I set a goal to beat my distance at the beach and learned how much farther I can go by slowing my pace slightly. Now I understand the science behind it and why we became so stagnant.

Since then I've been training for a half marathon in November. I'm up to 8 miles without stopping and expect to hit 10 next weekend.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:53 PM
μ

I took a week off from my half marathon training to run a 5k that was in my neighborhood. It was cool to be able to pick up my packet and walk it back home to drop off. I haven't done any speed training so I had no idea how I'd perform.

I finished second in my age group (30-39) with a time of 27:09. Not great, but faster than my other races and good considering I've been training for distance not speed.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:02 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to justintime Send a message via Yahoo to justintime

Ive been battling with shin splints after I got really sick over the summer. It's been hard to get back into the flow

omgzz
Old 09-09-2012, 07:29 PM
μ

They suck for sure!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:41 PM
μ

At my previous job I had a lot of free time, which gave me the opportunity to train regularly. I have a nice collection of 2nd place medals (in my age group). **Could never grab that gold!** Then I got a new job which is a 10-hour day on a good day (usu more like 12-14). As we know, it's easy to become lazy. After two-years of slacking, I had enough of being the flabby guy and signed up for my first 10k since 2008- the only way to get me to actually run/train.

Ran it this morning and came in at 54:28. (13th in my age group, 66th overall). Not too shabby for an old man. I'll try another 10k ASAP and then *maybe* a 1/2-marathon before the end of the year.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Just started a couch to 5k program, so only jogging for five minutes at a stretch right now, but that's plenty enough to let me know how far from fit I have got in the last seven years...
Old 09-11-2012, 05:17 PM
μ

I just started running too.

I have terrible knees, and have never been good at long distance running. But my wife (who also has terrible knees) wanted to run a Donate Life 5K in honor of dad who passed away in December.
So we both decided to start with that in April, and did decent with very minimal training.

We were so excited after it, that we immediately signed up for the Disneyland Half Marathon.

We did it 2 weeks ago (with much less training than we hoped and 4.5 mi being the longest run I had done prior), and came in at 3 hours 21 min. My goal was to be under 3:30, so it was exactly what I was hoping for.

Already signed up for the next Half in January

Time to get some real running shoes however. I have been using my old cross trainers, and they just aren't cutting it. My feet were killing me after the Half. Heard great things about Brooks, including from my wife whose feet didn't hurt at all after, so going to look into those.

Just find it so ironic that both my wife and me have the worst knees around, yet are running half marathons.

Also, we used KT tape during the Half which seemed to really help my knees. My wife's best friend also used it for her shin splints, and said they felt great after the race. Maybe you guys with shin splints should try it out.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:10 PM
μ

Atta boy!

The running style that I use takes quite a bit of shock out of the knees too. Your foot lands under your center of gravity which is less stressful than a heel strike. Take a look at the Pose Method.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

With it finally starting to cool down I will probably start running again. Although work has been picking up lately, so I don't really feel like going out when I get home. I need to start getting up earlier and doing a half hour before work, but I am anything but a morning person.

I did sign up for a 5k in November though and I would like to get my time back under 30 min. On exercise runs it looks like my 5k time would be closer to 35 or more which I am not liking.

Still using Vibram KSOs mostly, although I have a pair of vibram bikila(?) and NB minimus that I rotate in every so often.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:48 PM
μ

Krista and I have been running for the past couple of months more just to get exercise than to train, and man it was nice last night. I've been trying to get her pace a little quicker and we knocked 3 minutes off our 5k time just because of the drop in temperature.

It's difficult to really train when it is routinely 85+ degrees and 80%+ humidity every night. So looking forward to fall.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:54 PM
μ

The cooler weather is great. I ran last night and took 10 minutes off my 5 mile time!
Old 09-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Konstantinos

I just started running recently. I have never really been an athletic person, but it's really life changing. Sometimes I'm at work and I get so anxious because I just feel like I need to go out and run. I got a lot of running gear too. New running shoes (asics), nike+ thing for the shoes, and some other stuff for my iPhone. I don't like running with music or water. I run for about an hour and just come home and fall down in the grass. It's amazing.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Anyone ever use Zombies, Run!? Thoughts?

I'm all for anything that helps me stay motivated in a run.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:40 PM
μ

that's brilliant!