motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Braking Clamping the binders.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Braking

Old 09-10-2009, 01:50 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default Rotors and Engine Mount

So I am doing the regular thing with the MINI, and checking out this and that...one thing I have noticed is that my Engine mount has puked black stuff all over the friggn place...I have been looking at the Texas Speedwerks replacement MotorMount:

Click the image to open in full size.

I think it can be done over a weekend but that would depend on whether or not I have the muscle to remove my skidplate...lord knows that is probably seized onto the bottom of my car...

But I digress...

Does anyone else know of others that are on the market that replace the OEM mount? The TSW mount has only been on the market for the past few months but I havent been able to track down a competitor to it.

The other thing that came across the radar was the fact that I am prolly gonna need new Rotors in the next little while...or at least it would be a nice little upgrade. The stock ones I have now will most definitely need replacing sometime, but I figure hell, bite the bullet now and see what is out there...I dunno what I was expecting but Jeebiz! Even Lousy lookin Rotors are steeply priced...anyways, found this Local company called Gforce Brakes. They have a product from Magnum

Click the image to open in full size.

Looks cool, and apparently I can get them in annodized blue.

Thoughts on either of these? What would you recommend?

Ideas of any kind would be helpful.

Adam
Old 09-10-2009, 03:30 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to not-so-rednwhitecooper

Well, I would say the anodizing will last about...... 6 or 7 seconds, then it will be gone from the braking surface area.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:43 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

At this time there is no other competitor to the TSW mount that I've seen. I could be wrong as I don't know all of everyone's catalogs.

So much has been said by so many people who know so little about what’s going on, that it’s truly breathtaking to contemplate. Peter M. De Lorenzo

Old 09-10-2009, 04:39 AM
µ Leadership

I think thats the only one out. Some have posted great results too
Old 09-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper View Post
Well, I would say the anodizing will last about...... 6 or 7 seconds, then it will be gone from the braking surface area.
That was the first thought that ran through my head too...Just wanted to know if anyone had experience with-em...and possibly anodized rotors.

I have had feedback saying that if the cross drilling is not done right then the rotors could crack and warp...I have had rotors warp on my before but it was on an Oldsmobile and I had a sh!t mechanic...but thats a whole different story for a whole nother time...
Old 09-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnatster View Post
At this time there is no other competitor to the TSW mount that I've seen. I could be wrong as I don't know all of everyone's catalogs.

The only other one out there is the OEM mount...the TSW one has only been around since Mid this year! so I was just curious as to whether there was anyone else that has developed one along the same timeline...ya know how these things all seem to come to market at the same time...I'll be dammed if im gonna put another OEM mount into my MINI...Still wondering how im gonna get the Black stuff off the paint without damaging it...the paint, not the sludge
Old 09-30-2009, 04:09 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Can't really say anything one way or the other about the TSW engine mount. But, I do have a few things to say about cross drilled rotors.

If the holes go through, instead of just being dimples, then each one is just a crack waiting to happen. If you attend track days than cross drilled rotors are not for you. Sure, racers use them, but they will change them after each race.

Rotors with grooves, like these TSW ones http://www.autoxcooper.com/tsw_suspension.html#tswcr , offer the same ability to clear any gasses that might be generated by the pads as they heat up. Yet they do not seem to have any problems with cracking when hot. I have been running these at two track days, so far, and they are performing great in combination with some Carbotech pads. No fade what so ever.

If performance is not your concern then just about any kind of rotor will be fine. Just buy the one that looks best to you.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Camaro Send a message via Yahoo to Camaro Send a message via Skype™ to Camaro

I love my TSW Motor Mount
Old 10-03-2009, 12:30 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
Can't really say anything one way or the other about the TSW engine mount. But, I do have a few things to say about cross drilled rotors.

If the holes go through, instead of just being dimples, then each one is just a crack waiting to happen. If you attend track days than cross drilled rotors are not for you. Sure, racers use them, but they will change them after each race.

Rotors with grooves, like these TSW ones http://www.autoxcooper.com/tsw_suspension.html#tswcr , offer the same ability to clear any gasses that might be generated by the pads as they heat up. Yet they do not seem to have any problems with cracking when hot. I have been running these at two track days, so far, and they are performing great in combination with some Carbotech pads. No fade what so ever.

If performance is not your concern then just about any kind of rotor will be fine. Just buy the one that looks best to you.
Man speaks the truth - truly cross drilled is of no use on the average car - do the slotted rotors.