motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Tire & Wheel Without wheels & tires, you're going nowhere!

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Tire & Wheel

Old 02-13-2014, 03:40 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

Uh... I was getting crap from people for looking at Rota's.... and I've already decided as soon as I can find some BBS RS's that I can refinish myself... I'm going to buy them and completely redo them myself. Then by the time June rolls around they will be done and the coil's will be on. I live in Ne Indiana... lol.. idk anywhere around here who cleans up wheels and stuff so I may end up having to hand sand everything if there are any nicks or scratches and all that junk..... I've been talked out of the ESM's don't worry, I was mainly saying I wasn't paying $2,000+ for a set of wheels.. I'd just keep my OEM windmills on my MCS before spending that kind of money on wheels. $800-1000 I would gladly spend though, especially for a non damaged set of wheels.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:42 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

I've painted, and plasti-dipped wheels, entire cars.... ATV's....all that jazz. I'm not worried about the painting of the wheels. I have an HVLP gun, and I use Preval's for my custom colors on wheels.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:28 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

There you go, now you're thinking like a motoring underground member.

http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6709&dateline=1335062  411
Old 02-13-2014, 04:33 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremesota View Post
There you go, now you're thinking like a motoring underground member.
Haha thanks! I enjoy doing thing's myself, it just makes it that much more special. Not to mention the amount they will be worth after me taking the time to do things correctly, if I ever want to sell them. Will be well worth it!
Old 02-13-2014, 04:34 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to glnr13

you should be good then. only thing you might wanna do is send faces out to be media blasted unless you have a blast booth
Old 02-13-2014, 04:47 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by glnr13 View Post
you should be good then. only thing you might wanna do is send faces out to be media blasted unless you have a blast booth
That was my only concern.... if the weaves have curb rash and stuff it would be well worth it to have them blasted. Where ever I get them from I'll likely to check their cost on correcting the wheels of blemishes before they get shipped to me. Should look pretty sweet by the time they are done. The plan is to do the weave's matte black and the barrel and lips the same color I'm painting my car which is a chameleon Caribbean blue/green color. Then the Caliper's will be white to match the roof... or possibly black if i decide to go all matte black/ chameleon and just get rid of the white.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:19 PM
μ

faces rarely have rash, it's the lips that are wrecked usually.
i would go media blast for the faces. those little nooks and crannies are assholes.

and white calipers?! you must like torture.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:24 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by glnr13 View Post
faces rarely have rash, it's the lips that are wrecked usually.
i would go media blast for the faces. those little nooks and crannies are assholes.

and white calipers?! you must like torture.
Lol.... no one does it.... so I seem to be drawn to thing's others don't do.... so in a way yes.. i oddly enough enjoy torturing myself in a way. I just think the contrast of the white/matte black face will make it a nice pop. It's either white... or black... and I don't think gloss black calipers behind matte black weaves would look good sadly.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:50 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

And by white calipers do you mean dirt brown? What about like a nice silver color. Hides dirt well, and won't blend in with your wheel.

http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6709&dateline=1335062  411
Old 02-13-2014, 07:11 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremesota View Post
And by white calipers do you mean dirt brown? What about like a nice silver color. Hides dirt well, and won't blend in with your wheel.
Lol your killing me man.... i clean my wheels once a week min. with break dust pro.... stuff works like a champ for wheels and calipers... plus the wheel kit I've had that was supposed to be used for a customer is an all white kit that he never paid for and never got done so i got stuck with it.

idk I'll have to check it out..... do you think I should stagger the front and rears? I thought at first maybe it would look silly being a fwd car.... but I'm not sure now... lol
Old 02-14-2014, 06:25 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I'm not even going to lie, when I first refinished my RS', I rattle canned them with high heat paint from autozone. Came out just fine though, believe it or not. All I did was scuff up the faces really good with a scotch brite pad, and the paint came out great. I did clear coat them after I painted them though so they would be a little more durable. They never chipped or anything though. But the 2nd time I refinished them, I took them and got them sand blasted and powder coated. The powder coating is a lot more durable and is probably what you would rather want, but if you're trying to save money, nothing wrong with painting them yourself as long as you take your time.

I've attached some pictures of what they looked like after I had painted them myself. They're awful quality but maybe you can at least get an idea...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBS10.jpg (20.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg BBS11.jpg (21.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-14-2014, 06:42 PM
μ

minitron has a spray gun so he's got an advantage over rattle cans already.