motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Accelerating From engines to gearboxes--tuning the parts that make your car go.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Accelerating
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 12-13-2005, 01:40 AM
benthevegan's Avatar
benthevegan benthevegan is offline
Y Rated - 186 mph
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: fullerton, CA (orange county)
Posts: 1,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase
I would like to add onto this if thats ok. I am looking for an exhaust for the performance, but i also want it to be a daily driver. I want one that sounds nice and throaty when i get on it, but if im cruising in town or down the interstate at 80, i want it to sound pretty much stock. Is this a possibility with building one myself? Is there one out there like this ready to buy? etc. But keep going with griffs question too.
From what I've read it seems like the miltek would be good for you. Even though I don't have this system I've heard a lot about it and its big 'claim to fame' is being quiet with no drone until you acually step on it. Oh yeah it's also suppose to make pretty good power and it is one of the leaders in torque too. I'm thinking of getting one and removing the resonator. I'm sure somebody with this system(who obviously knows more about it than me) will respond soon enough.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-13-2005, 05:23 AM
iDiaz's Avatar
iDiaz iDiaz is offline
μ
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Marcos, CA
Posts: 15,873
Send a message via AIM to iDiaz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase
I would like to add onto this if thats ok. I am looking for an exhaust for the performance, but i also want it to be a daily driver. I want one that sounds nice and throaty when i get on it, but if im cruising in town or down the interstate at 80, i want it to sound pretty much stock. Is this a possibility with building one myself? Is there one out there like this ready to buy? etc. But keep going with griffs question too.
My B&B fits the bill perfectly. I'm not sure why Detlman reports that it sounds raspy and harsh--I don't experience this beyond the first couple of minutes after I've started the car up cold. Perhaps an installation issue?

Here's the website for it: http://www.bbexhaust.com/New/auto-ht...nicoopers.html

It comes with three tip options. I opted for the twin 3" elliptical.
__________________
Click the image to open in full size.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-13-2005, 05:44 AM
Chase Chase is offline
µ Leadership
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 13,459
Default

HAHA sweet, thanx Ivan
__________________
“Whatever it is, the car has to look good. If your car doesn’t look good, sound good, and feel good, you’re not going to drive it like you should.” Akira Nakai
Click the image to open in full size.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-13-2005, 05:46 AM
Chase Chase is offline
µ Leadership
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 13,459
Default

Does it have hp, trq gain? Or does it make your car have less power like deltman says?

I am going to check that one out and some others, but i will keep in touch
__________________
“Whatever it is, the car has to look good. If your car doesn’t look good, sound good, and feel good, you’re not going to drive it like you should.” Akira Nakai
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Chase; 12-13-2005 at 05:50 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-13-2005, 05:55 AM
iDiaz's Avatar
iDiaz iDiaz is offline
μ
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Marcos, CA
Posts: 15,873
Send a message via AIM to iDiaz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase
Does it have hp, trq gain? Or does it make your car have less power like deltman says?

I am going to check that one out and some others, but i will keep in touch
Well, an exhaust by itself doesn't really do a whole lot. Maybe 2-3 hp, at the most. However, combine an exhaust with a couple of other mods, like an intake and pulley, and things quickly turn serious.
__________________
Click the image to open in full size.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-13-2005, 11:32 AM
ingsoc ingsoc is offline
Y Rated - 186 mph
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Heaven-bound and Earth swept
Posts: 163
Send a message via AIM to ingsoc
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthevegan
From what I've read it seems like the miltek would be good for you. Even though I don't have this system I've heard a lot about it and its big 'claim to fame' is being quiet with no drone until you acually step on it. Oh yeah it's also suppose to make pretty good power and it is one of the leaders in torque too. I'm thinking of getting one and removing the resonator. I'm sure somebody with this system(who obviously knows more about it than me) will respond soon enough.
Just a word of caution.... There was a thread over on NAM where they took the SPL [dB] level of the various exhausts available [idle/peak/whatever- yes, always from the meter location!], and they found that the Milltek was as loud dB-wise as the Borla Race, I think it was [or the Milltek]. So, yeah, you may want to see it first to get the proper impression....

edit: I think it was the [Myth of the] Dragon Exhaust Shootout. Look it up. It also had sound clips. One more thing: make SURE you get an exhaust without drone. Can't emphasize enough. At the highway, drone is excruciating from my experience. You will go deaf...hehe.

Last edited by ingsoc; 12-13-2005 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-13-2005, 01:29 PM
Brain's Avatar
Brain Brain is offline
μ
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,593
Default

Miltek with no resonator.

I actually started the car with a much smaller resonator, the one I had to add with the B&B and I didnt like the sound so I went ahead and added the rest of the system. I didnt drive the car around but I am betting it will be a little loud since the resonator is really big it is taking alot of the noise out.

I cant really explain the B&B and what my problem was other than I didnt like the way it sounded.

I guess I am used to big V8 cars and the powerfull sound, I dont like a higher pitched sound or a tinny sound. To me the B&B was a higher pitched sound and I just wasnt happy with it. Probable just personal preference on this one, but with the Megan my car definitly had more pull on top and made more power.

Magnaflow with different tips Shouldnt make any difference unless you were to go with a smaller tip than what is already there. Not sure how it will effect sound by removing those trumpets, hopefully it will be a positive improvement.

Last edited by Brain; 12-13-2005 at 02:00 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-13-2005, 03:25 PM
iDiaz's Avatar
iDiaz iDiaz is offline
μ
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Marcos, CA
Posts: 15,873
Send a message via AIM to iDiaz
Default

Hm, you should listen to my car next time we're in the same place and tell me if it sounds the same as yours did. I remember yours sounding totally different with the B&B exhaust. Maybe it was the headers.
__________________
Click the image to open in full size.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-13-2005, 03:41 PM
benthevegan's Avatar
benthevegan benthevegan is offline
Y Rated - 186 mph
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: fullerton, CA (orange county)
Posts: 1,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingsoc
Just a word of caution.... There was a thread over on NAM where they took the SPL [dB] level of the various exhausts available [idle/peak/whatever- yes, always from the meter location!], and they found that the Milltek was as loud dB-wise as the Borla Race, I think it was [or the Milltek]. So, yeah, you may want to see it first to get the proper impression....

edit: I think it was the [Myth of the] Dragon Exhaust Shootout. Look it up. It also had sound clips. One more thing: make SURE you get an exhaust without drone. Can't emphasize enough. At the highway, drone is excruciating from my experience. You will go deaf...hehe.

Yeah, I remember reading that thread. I was so shocked when they said that. I mean I don't really know about db's but I've heard both the miltek and the borla race in person and there is a HUGE differance. The reason I wanted to remove the resonator would be to make it just a little louder. When I heard them in person the miltek was to quiet but I think the borla might have been a little loud for my tastes so I was thinking a miltek-the resonater would be perfect. I remember people in that thread were talking about how some exhaust can make you start to go death or something like that. I'll go read that thread again and I'll look up more aboout db's. I still have a while before I have the $ to do anything anyways(suspension come first ). I just like to do some research before so I'm happy with what I'm buying. Thanks for the tip.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-13-2005, 04:00 PM
Brain's Avatar
Brain Brain is offline
μ
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDiaz
Hm, you should listen to my car next time we're in the same place and tell me if it sounds the same as yours did. I remember yours sounding totally different with the B&B exhaust. Maybe it was the headers.

Yeah, I will have to hear it again. It very well could be the header and the porting making the difference.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-13-2005, 04:14 PM
Chase Chase is offline
µ Leadership
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 13,459
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDiaz
Well, an exhaust by itself doesn't really do a whole lot. Maybe 2-3 hp, at the most. However, combine an exhaust with a couple of other mods, like an intake and pulley, and things quickly turn serious.
Yeah thats what i have in mind, not just an exhaust. Im not looking to get one too soon or anything, since we were on the subject i thought i would find out some info on them before i didn end up getting one. My seuspension comes first. THIS WINTER WOOOOO HOOOO. Anyway, i was also wondering, do you think i could make one (with professional help) that has the sound that i want? Because when i think od exhausts that people make i think of there really loud nasty sounding things. Basically i want to take the same design as like the B&B or the Miltek or something and make it myself so that it would be much cheaper. Do you think that is worth doing, or is that not such a good idea? If not then i will begin saving after my suspension and brakes
__________________
“Whatever it is, the car has to look good. If your car doesn’t look good, sound good, and feel good, you’re not going to drive it like you should.” Akira Nakai
Click the image to open in full size.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-13-2005, 04:36 PM
iDiaz's Avatar
iDiaz iDiaz is offline
μ
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Marcos, CA
Posts: 15,873
Send a message via AIM to iDiaz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase
Yeah thats what i have in mind, not just an exhaust. Im not looking to get one too soon or anything, since we were on the subject i thought i would find out some info on them before i didn end up getting one. My seuspension comes first. THIS WINTER WOOOOO HOOOO. Anyway, i was also wondering, do you think i could make one (with professional help) that has the sound that i want? Because when i think od exhausts that people make i think of there really loud nasty sounding things. Basically i want to take the same design as like the B&B or the Miltek or something and make it myself so that it would be much cheaper. Do you think that is worth doing, or is that not such a good idea? If not then i will begin saving after my suspension and brakes
Well, I think it's a matter of finding the right mufflers. I wouldn't know where to start, but I'm sure Sam and Will have done some research on the subject.
__________________
Click the image to open in full size.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-13-2005, 06:39 PM
Samtrak's Avatar
Samtrak Samtrak is offline
μ
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ventura, CA - Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,857
Send a message via AIM to Samtrak
Default

I built mine, bitches! And it totally pwns all aftermarket systems!
__________________
will and i built it..... and it fuckin rocks..... ive shed 50lbs just in weight alone.
__________________

MINI RSR- 2004 MCS______MINI....FTW !
1990 R32 GTR sedan
1986 Toyota Van
S54/E36/8 2001 M Coupe SOLD
DD Slugbut the WRX Wagon SOLD

seriousrrry
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-13-2005, 06:43 PM
Will's Avatar
Will Will is offline
Y Rated - 186 mph
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtrak
I built mine, bitches! And it totally pwns all aftermarket systems!
__________________
will and i built it..... and it fuckin rocks..... ive shed 50lbs just in weight alone.
That's my dawg! word!

Hey, how much did yours end up weighing in all told? Mine came out to a scant 19.5 lbs complete.
__________________
Let's Motor!
.......... _\_____
.......... /M7|___\__
......... (O)____(O)_\
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-13-2005, 06:59 PM
iDiaz's Avatar
iDiaz iDiaz is offline
μ
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Marcos, CA
Posts: 15,873
Send a message via AIM to iDiaz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtrak
I built mine, bitches! And it totally pwns all aftermarket systems!
__________________
will and i built it..... and it fuckin rocks..... ive shed 50lbs just in weight alone.
You didn't listen to Chase's requirements. He wants something streetable! Your exhaust is awesome until you try to take it to Laguna Seca and they black flag you for excessive dB!
__________________
Click the image to open in full size.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


CURRENT MOON

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:36 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©2005 motoring|underground, all rights reserved.