motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Accelerating From engines to gearboxes--tuning the parts that make your car go.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Accelerating

Old 12-13-2005, 01:40 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase
I would like to add onto this if thats ok. I am looking for an exhaust for the performance, but i also want it to be a daily driver. I want one that sounds nice and throaty when i get on it, but if im cruising in town or down the interstate at 80, i want it to sound pretty much stock. Is this a possibility with building one myself? Is there one out there like this ready to buy? etc. But keep going with griffs question too.
From what I've read it seems like the miltek would be good for you. Even though I don't have this system I've heard a lot about it and its big 'claim to fame' is being quiet with no drone until you acually step on it. Oh yeah it's also suppose to make pretty good power and it is one of the leaders in torque too. I'm thinking of getting one and removing the resonator. I'm sure somebody with this system(who obviously knows more about it than me) will respond soon enough.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:23 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Quote:
I would like to add onto this if thats ok. I am looking for an exhaust for the performance, but i also want it to be a daily driver. I want one that sounds nice and throaty when i get on it, but if im cruising in town or down the interstate at 80, i want it to sound pretty much stock. Is this a possibility with building one myself? Is there one out there like this ready to buy? etc. But keep going with griffs question too.
My B&B fits the bill perfectly. I'm not sure why Detlman reports that it sounds raspy and harsh--I don't experience this beyond the first couple of minutes after I've started the car up cold. Perhaps an installation issue?

Here's the website for it: http://www.bbexhaust.com/New/auto-ht...nicoopers.html

It comes with three tip options. I opted for the twin 3" elliptical.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:44 AM
µ Leadership

HAHA sweet, thanx Ivan
Old 12-13-2005, 05:46 AM
µ Leadership

Does it have hp, trq gain? Or does it make your car have less power like deltman says?

I am going to check that one out and some others, but i will keep in touch

Last edited by Chase; 12-13-2005 at 05:50 AM..
Old 12-13-2005, 05:55 AM
μ

Quote:
Does it have hp, trq gain? Or does it make your car have less power like deltman says?

I am going to check that one out and some others, but i will keep in touch
Well, an exhaust by itself doesn't really do a whole lot. Maybe 2-3 hp, at the most. However, combine an exhaust with a couple of other mods, like an intake and pulley, and things quickly turn serious.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:32 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to ingsoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthevegan
From what I've read it seems like the miltek would be good for you. Even though I don't have this system I've heard a lot about it and its big 'claim to fame' is being quiet with no drone until you acually step on it. Oh yeah it's also suppose to make pretty good power and it is one of the leaders in torque too. I'm thinking of getting one and removing the resonator. I'm sure somebody with this system(who obviously knows more about it than me) will respond soon enough.
Just a word of caution.... There was a thread over on NAM where they took the SPL [dB] level of the various exhausts available [idle/peak/whatever- yes, always from the meter location!], and they found that the Milltek was as loud dB-wise as the Borla Race, I think it was [or the Milltek]. So, yeah, you may want to see it first to get the proper impression....

edit: I think it was the [Myth of the] Dragon Exhaust Shootout. Look it up. It also had sound clips. One more thing: make SURE you get an exhaust without drone. Can't emphasize enough. At the highway, drone is excruciating from my experience. You will go deaf...hehe.

Last edited by ingsoc; 12-13-2005 at 11:34 AM..
Old 12-13-2005, 01:29 PM
μ

Miltek with no resonator.

I actually started the car with a much smaller resonator, the one I had to add with the B&B and I didnt like the sound so I went ahead and added the rest of the system. I didnt drive the car around but I am betting it will be a little loud since the resonator is really big it is taking alot of the noise out.

I cant really explain the B&B and what my problem was other than I didnt like the way it sounded.

I guess I am used to big V8 cars and the powerfull sound, I dont like a higher pitched sound or a tinny sound. To me the B&B was a higher pitched sound and I just wasnt happy with it. Probable just personal preference on this one, but with the Megan my car definitly had more pull on top and made more power.

Magnaflow with different tips Shouldnt make any difference unless you were to go with a smaller tip than what is already there. Not sure how it will effect sound by removing those trumpets, hopefully it will be a positive improvement.

Last edited by Brain; 12-13-2005 at 02:00 PM..
Old 12-13-2005, 03:25 PM
μ

Hm, you should listen to my car next time we're in the same place and tell me if it sounds the same as yours did. I remember yours sounding totally different with the B&B exhaust. Maybe it was the headers.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:41 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingsoc
Just a word of caution.... There was a thread over on NAM where they took the SPL [dB] level of the various exhausts available [idle/peak/whatever- yes, always from the meter location!], and they found that the Milltek was as loud dB-wise as the Borla Race, I think it was [or the Milltek]. So, yeah, you may want to see it first to get the proper impression....

edit: I think it was the [Myth of the] Dragon Exhaust Shootout. Look it up. It also had sound clips. One more thing: make SURE you get an exhaust without drone. Can't emphasize enough. At the highway, drone is excruciating from my experience. You will go deaf...hehe.

Yeah, I remember reading that thread. I was so shocked when they said that. I mean I don't really know about db's but I've heard both the miltek and the borla race in person and there is a HUGE differance. The reason I wanted to remove the resonator would be to make it just a little louder. When I heard them in person the miltek was to quiet but I think the borla might have been a little loud for my tastes so I was thinking a miltek-the resonater would be perfect. I remember people in that thread were talking about how some exhaust can make you start to go death or something like that. I'll go read that thread again and I'll look up more aboout db's. I still have a while before I have the $ to do anything anyways(suspension come first ). I just like to do some research before so I'm happy with what I'm buying. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:00 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDiaz
Hm, you should listen to my car next time we're in the same place and tell me if it sounds the same as yours did. I remember yours sounding totally different with the B&B exhaust. Maybe it was the headers.

Yeah, I will have to hear it again. It very well could be the header and the porting making the difference.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:14 PM
µ Leadership

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDiaz
Well, an exhaust by itself doesn't really do a whole lot. Maybe 2-3 hp, at the most. However, combine an exhaust with a couple of other mods, like an intake and pulley, and things quickly turn serious.
Yeah thats what i have in mind, not just an exhaust. Im not looking to get one too soon or anything, since we were on the subject i thought i would find out some info on them before i didn end up getting one. My seuspension comes first. THIS WINTER WOOOOO HOOOO. Anyway, i was also wondering, do you think i could make one (with professional help) that has the sound that i want? Because when i think od exhausts that people make i think of there really loud nasty sounding things. Basically i want to take the same design as like the B&B or the Miltek or something and make it myself so that it would be much cheaper. Do you think that is worth doing, or is that not such a good idea? If not then i will begin saving after my suspension and brakes
Old 12-13-2005, 04:36 PM
μ

Quote:
Yeah thats what i have in mind, not just an exhaust. Im not looking to get one too soon or anything, since we were on the subject i thought i would find out some info on them before i didn end up getting one. My seuspension comes first. THIS WINTER WOOOOO HOOOO. Anyway, i was also wondering, do you think i could make one (with professional help) that has the sound that i want? Because when i think od exhausts that people make i think of there really loud nasty sounding things. Basically i want to take the same design as like the B&B or the Miltek or something and make it myself so that it would be much cheaper. Do you think that is worth doing, or is that not such a good idea? If not then i will begin saving after my suspension and brakes
Well, I think it's a matter of finding the right mufflers. I wouldn't know where to start, but I'm sure Sam and Will have done some research on the subject.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:39 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Samtrak

I built mine, bitches! And it totally pwns all aftermarket systems!

MINI RSR- 2004 MCS______MINI....FTW !
1990 R32 GTR sedan
1986 Toyota Van
S54/E36/8 2001 M Coupe SOLD
DD Slugbut the WRX Wagon SOLD

seriousrrry
Old 12-13-2005, 06:43 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtrak

Hey, how much did yours end up weighing in all told? Mine came out to a scant 19.5 lbs complete.
......... (O)____(O)_\
Old 12-13-2005, 06:59 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtrak
Click the image to open in full size.