motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Motoring Events Stay informed of upcoming motoring events.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > Motoring Events

Old 08-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Retired

Default MINIs In The Mountains 2008 Pics and stories

OK, I am back, got some laundry going, and need to go to sleep since I have to work tonight, but here are a butt load of my pics that I just uploaded. Only about a quarter of them, but enough for you all to see some of the events.

It all started out with a perfectly clean and shiny car, happy in it's little home, not a speck of dirt anywhere:
Click the image to open in full size.

On the way to start the drive to MITM 2008, I hit a milestone, well, 27,000 miles . Not bad for a 2003 MINI. I know, I know, I need to get out and drive it more, blah, blah, blah, save your comments about driving it more for the peanut gallery, just remember, this is my toy, a hobby to pass the time of day and keep me busy....it's all about the mods

We started at Detailers Paradise here in Denver, nice place to meet and get the drive started. Heather and Nick had this sweet old Jag sitting in their show room. They are such good people, they set us up and got us ready to hit the road for a great drive.

The drive was amazing, we had 6 of us to start, driving up through Morrison, Kittridge, Evergreen, Bergen Park and on to Squaw Pass, also knows as the Western Dragon. As we were coming down, we stopped to get our passes for Mt. Evans. Then we continued on to Idaho Springs and ate lunch at Tommy Knockers, a micro brew pub with some amazing hot wings. Some other MINI folks caught up to us at Tommy Knockers, so they joined us for the rest of the drive up. From there, we headed up I-70 to Loveland Pass and drove over the Continental Divide and down into Arapahoe Basin Ski area. On to Frisco and Copper Mountain via Swan Mountain road on the back side of Lake Dillon for a last few twisties before hitting the resort to check in. It rained about half the drive up, which took about 4 hours total including lunch. I got all settled into my condo:

Not a bad view, eh? . Anyway, others that drove up with me were volunteers and organizers, so they were busy setting up the tents and registration stuff while I chilled out on the other side of the village in my condo. I cruised over there after a bit of unpacking and we headed into Frisco for dinner. Had a nice little meal at the Blue Spruce Inn...we made it just in time for happy hour, had a nice group of about 12 people or so for some good drinks and burgers. Then it was time to head back to Copper and I crashed. Lights out until the next day. On my way back into Copper, I was cruising on I-70 from Frisco and noticed a set of warning lights flashing off in the distance, as I got closer, I saw a small deer in the road, not full grown, but pretty big, well over 200lbs I would guess. Anyway, the flashing lights turned out to be a MINI, I stopped to make sure they were OK. The BRG/B R56 S was pretty much trashed, front and rear quarter panels done in, mirror gone, and the windshield was destroyed with glass inside the cabin an all over the driver. I stayed with them until the police arrived. At first, they were shaken up pretty bad, understandably, but after about 10 minutes, the guy driving seemed to have gotten his wits about him. They were not part of MITM, but were going to swing by. Regardless, it was sad to see them on the side of the road, and that poor deer.

On to day 2, Thursday, started with a good car wash at the Detailers Paradise and Show Car Detailing car wash station. Got all the rain grime off my car. The most rain the car has ever seen ...oh well, it was due for rain I guess after over 5 years.

here are some pics as people arrived on Thursday for more set up and some drives:

Way Motor Works tent and install booth:

Night Fire Red stripes, mirrors, brakes and wheel inserts,

aesthetic Creations install booth:

OOMPAH!!!!!

MINI Beotch booth:

Not sure what Jayde was doing here, she might not be too happy with me when she sees this pic

Registration, and Jonathan in his very, very orange vest, just so we could see him from a distance I guess

My favorite plate from the meet, MINI S upside down, really liked this idea.

Teh president of MINI5280....making sure everything was done right, haha. Chuck is a great guy, and even more obsessed with cleaning his car than I am. Such a great guy to spend time with!!!

Folks from Cali, not sure who this was, but it had M|U stickers on the back of the side skirts, tried to find them to talk to them, but never tracked them down.

Uhmmmm....wait...what? (put in just for Jon V, so I could say it before him, haha.)

:chris farley voice: Biiigggg Dog in a Little Car :/chris farley voice:

Dee has some good plans for this nugget:

When you gotta pee, you gotta Pee. Best action shot I took all weekend.

Car wash on Saturday morning....kinda skipped over the other stories, but I am too tired and want to get this post done, so, there you have it.

Dude, you broke your dad's Ferrari's...the F50 and F40 were broken down, I offered to help, but they had "all the Ferrari tools they needed!!!". So, I took pictures instead. Sounds like there were there for a couple of hours....

Only pic of Jayde I got with her tongue out...not me in the pic, but I had to find a "victim"

The PGT theme gone horribly wrong, this "nice guy", wink, wink, had "Ferrari" alcantara on his dash and front seats. Kinda hurt my eyes, the bright red and black was in a kinda checker board pattern on the seats, and when the sun hit it, it was a little too bright for my old eyes...the lower dash bolsters and glove box were also red alcantara. Should have taken a pic of the interior, but the guy was sooooo friendly, haha, I just had to walk away. His wheels were from a "Bentley", so he says, did not know Bentley made 17" rims. Love those friendly types you meet, they make mini owner ship so special. (note, high level of sarcasm in this description, in case you were wondering)

Riiiiiiiii-cccoooooollllllaaaaaaaaa:

here is a link to the rest of the photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2131411...7606645279466/

Last edited by Dr. Stylo; 08-12-2008 at 05:28 AM..
Old 08-10-2008, 04:27 PM
μ

wow, great report!

ps. there is really no way to embarrass Jayde in any pics... based on what she herself posts...

Old 08-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Retired

Here are some links to more photos from Don....a really cool local guy I meet for lunch every once in a while. He goes by Old81 over on NAM.

http://picasaweb.google.com/don.suiter/MITM3WEDDRIVEUP

http://picasaweb.google.com/don.suiter/MITM3Thursday

http://picasaweb.google.com/don.suit...dayEveWPDinner

http://picasaweb.google.com/don.suit...DAYDayActivity

http://picasaweb.google.com/don.suit...sdayEveRainbow

http://picasaweb.google.com/don.suiter/MITM3SaturdayDay
Old 08-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Retired

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...3&postcount=12

Well, guess he did not take too well to my criticisms of his car

I'm such a dick, haha. Made me and my wife laugh, he thinks my interior was all dirty, cracked, and STOCK. LOL ahhhh....good times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3000spyderman View Post

I have to honestly say you were the only Total F**K Prick I met the whole day on Saturday. Every body was so cool and nice to me especially Ralph Schomp Mini who Invited me to be part of their booth.
I had just got there and you were such a total insecure ass.... the minute you saw my car you got in a Jealous frenzy...Ralph Schomp couldnt believe how you were acting. You didnt even introduce your self...say hi or nothing...your first words were...."I need to show this guy how its done"... and "Im going to get my car"..... Dont you have any Manners?
And I cant even believe it......You ACTUALLY went and got your car...."UNBELIEVABLE".... and pulled it out in the middle and blocked the Schomp Booth... Literally you acted like you were 2 years old. Everybody looked at you like you are making a fool out of yourself.

Ralph Schomp assured me the rest of the Mini owners are not like you...THANK GOD>>>>> And it was TRUE.....

Show me how its done....??????? You have a STOCK INTERIOR!! With the blah -black and blue seats....and the leather is all worn and wrinkled. Not to mention it was filthy.... Your seats..dash...etc are stock and you want to show me how its done????? Non noticible leather on the doors? ok........cf door bars ok....not expensive but ok. You were such a babbling fool....I had to just ignore you before you got any worse..... You were really acting like a Fool....and I wanted nothing to do with it....

You were in such a rage with my car you didnt even care to ask me anything...including verifying the size of the rims????? Duh....

Bottom line...this was my first Mini event.....and you were the first Mini guy I met.....wow.. YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED!

All in all ...a great event and alot of nice people....and alot of nice cars....my favorite was the all pepper white clubman.

And funny enough ...another Mini Cabrio owner family offered me $30K for my car...I might just take it....

Bottom line....the event was great....very well organized and other than this Insecure loser who started my day...it was enjoyable. My 10 year old niece was with me and I hope his actions didn't spoil the day for her...she was literally in shock.

Last edited by Dr. Stylo; 08-10-2008 at 05:47 PM..
Old 08-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Very cool!
Old 08-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Glad I could make it if only for one day. My first MINI event and it was a hoot. I even made it into one of Jon's pic's....captured for prosperity. Here's a few I took almost worthy of posting. I tried to get an action photo of Jon going around a hairpin, but since I was right behind him going around the same hairpin, those didn't come out so well.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:53 AM
Retired

More pics from Vicky.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scribbl...359844/detail/
Old 08-11-2008, 04:19 AM
μ

Looks like you guys had fun. Nice pics!

But you are SUCH a mean guy!

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:31 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Adam Send a message via Skype™ to Adam

Looks like PGT and I both got ripped off, and untastefully outdone by members of this group... as far as I know I was the first person to put "Nightfire Red" mirror caps on an [Astro] Black car, wayyyyy back when it was still called Solar Red.

Quote:
Cool pictures though, looks like an awesome event.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Retired

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I am such a dick....oh well, it is what it is.

Anyway, here are links to more albums from NAM...some AMAZING shots from everyone. I had a great time, it was hard going back to work last night.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kigipho...7606661749280/

http://picasaweb.google.com/marbleboy86/MITMs08

http://johnpaulsen.smugmug.com/galle...48889505_rLymW

http://flickr.com/photos/maybeefamil...7606659730649/
Old 08-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via MSN to F.G.

Nice I'm still really sad that i couldn't make it out for that but all that rain I had to fly through, so i knew it was coming

"The Goofy, slightly misunderstood Cooper"

I Build Jet engines and am a certified level 1 BMW/MINI Tech, so ya I know what I'm talking about...

MOTORING ID ZOOM017
Old 08-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Jayde Send a message via Yahoo to Jayde

Me?? Worried about a pic?? NEVER!! Wait till the hot tub pics make it out...

Heres what ya missed!!

Russel from MINI FINI, Scott and me...

I only got a few pics... My camera battery died, and I have no idea where I put the charger or the replacement battery!! My girl Ali has more on her camera... Most of the scary ones anyway.

My new monster got here just after I got back!!
Old 08-11-2008, 10:28 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Minipenny Send a message via Yahoo to Minipenny

Nice write up and pics! Sounds like it was a lot of fun. And 03Indigo, I agree with you about how that guy's Mini looks--kinda crazy. Great that he was so upset on NAM--wow, someone's feelings got hurt.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Which guy was it? The red interior guy or the classic guy? I'm confused.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:17 AM
Retired

They guy with the "Ferrari" red interior...wearing his nike black jump suit with some goofy german crest badge/patch on his chest. Hang on, I will find some pics of him and his interior.