motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Garage The place to show off your pride and joy. Show us your motoring masterpiece herein!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Garage

Old 04-24-2013, 07:57 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Default The Evolution of Ruffian

I realize it's long overdue that I start a m|u Garage thread for Ruffian, my 2006 S. Over the past 2+ years she's gone from bone-stock to something of a customized ride with my marks all over. I know many other cars lend themselves to modding and have active enthusiast communities, but MINI seems to be a special breed when it comes to you-ification and camaraderie among owners.

The journey started on Sept. 25, 2010 when I adopted Ruffian from an independent user car dealer in Brandon, FL.
Click the image to open in full size.

Original specs:
Sport pkg.
Premium pkg.
Convenience pkg.
Xenons
H/K premium sound w/iPod adapter
17" web spoke wheels
Bonnet stripes
<30K miles

By Boca Ciega Bay

The first customization was adding new stripes

Next up: 20% tint on the windows, 5% on the sunroof

Spring '12 I decided it was time to throw some pep in her step so I ordered a DDMWorks intake and 15% pulley kit from Way Motor Works. To help her footing Ruffian got a 19mm H-sport rear sway bar. For enhanced protection I slapped on a pair of CravenSpeed strut tower Defenders. Wish I'd snapped pics of everything, but now I know better.

I really like the factory web spoke wheels; as heavy as they are they look good. Until I can afford a set of aftermarket wheels I got a few cans of white Plasti-dip and went to work...

Come 2013, I wanted to get Ruffian some bling for the interior, dress her up a bit. So I ordered an engraved shift knob from Whalen Shift Machine and a stainless steel e-brake handle. To complete the project I ordered some matching boots from Redline. Finally got everything installed last weekend. (Close-ups courtesy of Doug Whalen)

And that's where we stand right now. For the future, I'd like to get a header & exhaust to help performance and enhance the auditory experience. I'd love to get her up to 200+ whp but know it'll take more to get there. I really dig the BRG/white theme I have goin', and as much as white wheels are extra work it 1) really ain't that much and 2) is totally worth it. I haven't seen that many white wheels I like, so I'll either wait a bit and see if anything new comes out or powder coat the web spokes. My ideal would be to get a set of Breyton GTS-Rs and powder coat them, but that's more $$$ than I can budget right now.

The beauty of it all is that I fully intend to keep this car forever. The R53s are a special breed of MINI that we'll never see again. I've budgeted for big repairs as they come and am committed to all preventative maintenance to keep Ruffian in tip-top shape and will install upgraded components as repair/replacement is necessary. Knowing I'm in this car for the long-term helps me be patient when I consider future mods and what to do when.

Thanks for takin' the time to look!

'06 R53 | BRG/W | mods underway

Last edited by FridayXIII; 04-25-2013 at 09:41 PM..
Old 04-24-2013, 08:31 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

looks good. welcome to the M|U. i like your ideas for where you're taking the car as you go. and that shift knob is sick!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:15 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Thanks! I look forward to learning much more about my options for performance and aesthetic mods and figuring out what comes next. Seems like M|U is the right place for that

The shift knob came out even better than I had hoped, and with the weight it shifts as good as it looks!

Old 04-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

looks good so far, keep it up!
Old 05-07-2013, 12:34 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Man, when the modding bites, it bites hard. And my wallet is lighter for it.

Last week I started seriously looking at wheels and found a set of OZ Wave 17s that made my heart skip a beat. Ordered. Then I started listening to sound clips of catback exhausts, and found the great-sound of Invidia N1 for the right price. Ordered (along with a 17% SC pulley to swap for my 15%).

The rims were put on the car today and I couldn't be happier! Had to take a few pics for the m|u of course.

Newbie photographer says sorry for the overload of brightness...

The exhaust & pulley go on one week from today - can't wait! After that I'm gonna destripe 'er and see if I look the cleaner look. More pics to come...

Old 05-07-2013, 02:05 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I am familiar with this bug. I can't wait to hear the exhaust. Make sure to report back with audio.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:28 AM
μ

Nice work , welcome to the party

Randy
Old 05-14-2013, 04:29 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

So we spent some time at the shop yesterday getting the next round of mods done. Swapped the S/C pulley...

...and put this on

I know the tips aren't for everyone, but I really like the look:

I didn't realize how heavy the OEM exhaust is - whatta fuckin' hog! Glad to have it off the car. And the sound of the Invidia exhaust is just what I was looking for, music to the ears

I also spent Saturday morning removing the stripes, but she needs a good wash, clay bar, and wax before being photo-ready. I got all the adhesive off but have some ghosting that I hope will disappear with the clay bar and polishing compound. It doesn't look like paint fade-ghosting; I'm hoping it's just the difference between waxed & unwaxed paint, as I don't wanna put more stripes on or think about a respray.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:10 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Looking good! How do you like the shift/ebrake boot? I've been contemplating buying a nice redline one.

Instagram: @spencerbarr
Old 05-14-2013, 07:00 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Thanks!

I really like the shift & e-brake boots from Redline. Materials & workmanship are quality; I thought they were a pretty good value for the price.

Redline offers a lot of choices for fabrics & thread/stitching so you can get something pretty unique. I ended up going with a color combo I saw in their pics but was really tempted to get funky and take advantage of the array of colors & design option.

My only nit-pick is that the installation instructions weren't the best for the e-brake, but it came out well in the end. HUGE upgrade over the stock hardware

Let me know if you get a set too!

Old 05-15-2013, 08:36 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

Just wanted to thank you for posting those pics of the e-brake and shift boot. I'd been looking for those to match the alcantara JCW steering wheel. I ended up ordering both those, and the door pads. I'm really looking forward to getting them installed. So far the Redline folks have been awesome to work with.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:57 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

No worries, glad you enjoyed the pics and got something worthwhile from them. I hope you post some of your own once you get your pieces on. Alcantara will look sharp, and be a nice complement to your steering wheel. Maciek was really responsive to my questions and quick to reply via email. My only gripe is that shipping took almost the full ten business days. Coming from eastern Europe that's probably not bad, I was just as impatient as all hell.

Get yourself some good all-purpose glue for the e-brake. The shifter boot doesn't need it, but the e-brake does. I look forward to seeing how the pieces look in your car.

BTW, you have a great username too!

Old 05-21-2013, 09:36 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Two weekends ago I removed the stripes and last weekend gave Ruffian the full treatment: wash, polishing compound, two coats of wax. I've never seen this car without stripes, but it's growing on me...

Unrelated: I nailed down my reservation at the Fontana Inn for MotD next year. Can't wait for my first trip to the Dragon!

Old 05-23-2013, 07:14 PM
µ Leadership

much nicer without the stripes
Old 05-23-2013, 08:46 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Thanks! I would not have been tempted to keep the simpler, cleaner look had I not seen so many great looking MINIs here at M|U.

Tags
boots, invidia, oz wave, redline, whalen shift machine