motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 01-18-2013, 07:24 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Konstantinos
Default Old suspension

Hey guys. I have a few questions about suspension. My R53 is ten years old. I drove a 2 seater as a loaner for the last 3 weeks and got used to the tight responsive suspension. When I got my R53 back yesterday I felt swaying on the highway at high speeds. My R53 stock suspension used to feel the way the R56 feels. So:

- How do I get my stock suspension to feel new again? Do I get the stock shocks rebuilt?

- Do I skip that and just get a whole new suspension system? If so, what kind of system will allow me to feel the road like I used to feel it and how I felt it in the R56? I like the stiffness and responsiveness of how my system used to feel when it was new.

- What other components would I want to replace to get that feeling back? I am already replacing the control arm bushings with poly ones that I got.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:36 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

One of the main things that needs refreshing will be the bushings....especially the front control arm bushings.

If your struts are getting old, that will effect the way your car handles bumps and such....not so much the wandering/floating feeling that you're experiencing on the highway.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:48 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Rally, thanks for the reply. A few follow up questions:

- What other bushings do I want to replace? I have poly front control arm bushings. Any other ones that need to be done? I just did a rear sway bar as well.

- What would affect the wandering / swaying feeling on the highway? How do I stay more planted at high speeds?

- What kind of suspension system should I be looking into? PSS9? Anything less expensive that will do a great job at keeping me planted and responsive?
Old 01-18-2013, 09:59 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Could you give us a little more background on the symptoms you're noticing?
Old 01-18-2013, 11:40 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

How many miles on the car?
Old 01-19-2013, 04:05 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

If you're ok with your stock ride height, get a set of Koni FSD Shocks and maybe some Ireland Engineering fixed camber plates. Should bring back the feeling you're looking for and probably even better.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:27 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Other coils that are popular for the money you are looking at:

1. H&R Street

2.KW V1 or V2

3. ST coils

I would also look into a nicely matched set of shocks and springs. I am planning to run Koni Sports (Yellows) with my TSW springs within the next week or so, which I have been reading is one of the better combinations for ride and performance out there! Swift also makes an excellent spring to match with Koni Shocks, and I have read great things about the H Sport springs as well. And, if you are not interested in changing ride height, all of these springs give a subtle and presentable drop that is within the effective range of suspension travel for our cars, plus the Koni Yellows would allow you to change the dampening of the shocks. I personally loved my ride height so I opted for that setup with the necessary camber adjusters to make my suspension more compliant for track or street use. I am now just awaiting install.

There are lots of options out there. The only coils I would consider at this point would probably be the H&R RSS (super stiff and not daily drivable from what I have read) and Koni (getting harder to find, are these discontinued?)
Old 01-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
Could you give us a little more background on the symptoms you're noticing?
The general feeling I have is that I don't have precise control of steering at high speeds. The car is not as responsive as I was used to, and I only noticed the huge difference after driving the R56. I think that a lot of this has to do with the control arm bushings and the winter tires I'm using (blizzak). It's almost scary driving at high speeds and not having precise control like I'm used to.

More symptoms include a 'rolling' feeling, like the car leans to the side when I'm lane changing, for example. I'm not talking about 120 mph, but even just 70-90. And at something like 100, forget it. The car feels uncontrollable and unsafe. I remember going 120 back when it was new and feeling like it was so planted. Little by little my speeds have decreased because it started feeling less safe. Another issue I've been having is the car rocking when I press the brakes and stop. It does not sit planted as it used to. The car dips forward and rocks back when I come to a complete stop.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm describing a bunch of various issues. So: poly control arm bushings, the summer tires, and a set of Koni Yellows with lower springs should fix all of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinBend View Post
How many miles on the car?
75,000 -- I'm not missing any zeroes hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2turbo View Post
If you're ok with your stock ride height, get a set of Koni FSD Shocks and maybe some Ireland Engineering fixed camber plates. Should bring back the feeling you're looking for and probably even better.
I do like the stock setup as it was new, but I do not like the height. I could use to lose an inch or so. What's the difference between the FSD and the Yellow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtrout2000 View Post
Other coils that are popular for the money you are looking at:

1. H&R Street

2. KW V1 or V2

3. ST coils

I would also look into a nicely matched set of shocks and springs. I am planning to run Koni Sports (Yellows) with my TSW springs within the next week or so, which I have been reading is one of the better combinations for ride and performance out there! Swift also makes an excellent spring to match with Koni Shocks, and I have read great things about the H Sport springs as well. And, if you are not interested in changing ride height, all of these springs give a subtle and presentable drop that is within the effective range of suspension travel for our cars, plus the Koni Yellows would allow you to change the dampening of the shocks. I personally loved my ride height so I opted for that setup with the necessary camber adjusters to make my suspension more compliant for track or street use. I am now just awaiting install.

There are lots of options out there. The only coils I would consider at this point would probably be the H&R RSS (super stiff and not daily drivable from what I have read) and Koni (getting harder to find, are these discontinued?)
Interesting points of view. I appreciate the input! I will start looking into these combinations. Thank you
Old 01-20-2013, 05:41 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I also just read this on NAM. Is this true?:

If you want looks, go for the Yellows with a lowering spring set.
If you want best handling, go for the Yellows with stock springs.
If you want comfort, go for the FSD with stock springs.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:59 PM
μ

I would have thought the inner and outer ball joints could have some play in them so adding to the loose handling
Old 01-20-2013, 10:00 PM
μ

Also track rod ends could also be on their way out
Old 01-20-2013, 11:47 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantinos View Post
I also just read this on NAM. Is this true?:

If you want looks, go for the Yellows with a lowering spring set.
If you want best handling, go for the Yellows with stock springs.
If you want comfort, go for the FSD with stock springs.
I would say yellows with either Swift, H Sport, or TSW would be the best handling. I have heard great things about Swift, but I own TSW and in the savings of cash, I am thinking of just installing these great existing springs to my Konis, with a few added extras.

I nice balanced spring like the linear rate offered from TSW (softer) should give great handling, predictable and comfortable. I love mine, and the price is great!
Old 01-21-2013, 12:03 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thanks for the really useful and constructive responses, everyone.

Looks like I'll be doing Koni Yellows with TSW springs, polyurethane control arm bushings, and going to try to get the warranty company to cover the ball joints and the rod ends. After putting on the summer tires and a good alignment, I can't see anything else affecting the car's responsiveness. What does everyone think?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:20 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I'm confused? Thought you said you already have poly bushings? Do you have access to a lift? You really need to get it on a lift, then you can check your bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends...ect. You will also be able to grab the wheels and shake them back and forth to check your wheel bearings.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:22 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

jiminni, I have jack stands, so I can check that.

As for the bushings, I have them, but don't have them installed yet. Sorry for the confusion. I physically have them ordered and in my hands, but I still need to put them on.

When I kick the tires as the car is planted on the ground, I see them shake, so I know the bushings are bad for sure.

Other than that, I guess I would need someone with me who knows what they are looking for in terms of what parts are loose under there.