motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Garage The place to show off your pride and joy. Show us your motoring masterpiece herein!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Garage

Old 09-24-2013, 06:45 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Default Neil- getting an R53 the love it so desperately needs and deserves.

Hello MU!

My name is Kyle, and this is a place where I intend to share the journey my r53 is about to undertake to become as pristine a mini as I can make it.

Neil is a 2004 R53, sporting a pure silver body with black roof and mirrors. I am the second owner. The first is an astrophysics professor, hence why I named it after Neil DeGrasse Tyson. My MINI is currently bone stock, and has 68 thousand miles at the time of me writing this post.

I'm looking to accomplish three things with writing this thread. Firstly, Neil needs to be restored to a state of 0 issues. By listing what's wrong with the car/what needs fixing, I aim to put it in a public spotlight and remind myself to address the flaws. I have a bad habit of losing motivation. Secondly, I aim to keep a list of work and mods done to the car, so I can gather feedback about ideas and see what the community thinks. Thirdly, and finally, I aim to show off my car. My mini is a source of pride for me. And while it may not be much right now, I'd like to make it something special by the time I'm done with it.

Current Issues to be Addressed:

•rear wheel noise: a kind of thudding noise, relative to speed, that reminds me of the sound if a flat tire. All four wheels are at the correct pressure, but my TPMS light is on. Knowing how the r53 bases TPMS off of relative wheel speed, I suspect something with a bearing or maybe a frozen caliper.

•when letting off the throttle, there is a metallic rattle from under the car. I suspect catalytic converter heat shield, but will need to get the car on a lift to verify.

•bearing noise from accessory belt- I suspect idler pulley

•intermittent rough idle- I suspect coil pack/#3 cylinder, as this seems to be common

•front control arm bushing is torn, plan to replace with Alta PSRS (feedback appreciated)

•Power steering pump cooling fan needs to be replaced, but I'm not overly concerned as it is warrantied

•cracked windshield. Again, easy.

•air conditioning doesn't work. Habberstadt MINI of Huntington, NY told me it needs a new compressor. I'm never bringing my car back to the stealership if I can avoid it, but I believe they are right in their diagnosis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (96.5 KB, 108 views)
Old 09-24-2013, 11:00 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Welcome to m|u

Here's Neil....

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:31 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

The taylorcraft is missing from this photo

I like the sexy justa on the left

Could your rear wheel noise, tpm light, and rear pads being eaten alive all coincide?
Old 10-04-2013, 06:55 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Konstantinos

Hey bud. Just saw your post. I had the PSRS, but never installed, got the Powerflex bushings instead. I heard the PSRS makes too much noise.

And yay, I got my MINI at Habberstad a little over 11 years ago
Old 10-05-2013, 03:09 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

You can get just the magnetic clutch for the ac compressor off eBay. For 100 bucks and an hour to put it in you get your ac back. You don't need new freon or anything. You access the ac from the wheel well. You will meet to remove the belt. And then the fender liner.pull the pulley from the ac and remove and replace the clutch. It will save you hundreds.