motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Checkered Flag Track-related discussion, including both racing and high-performance driving events.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > Checkered Flag

Old 09-11-2013, 11:26 PM
μ

LONDON, Sept 11 (Reuters) - Lotus can take time to announce a replacement for Kimi Raikkonen because they are now the Formula One team with the most sought after driver vacancy, team principal Eric Boullier said on Wednesday.

Champions Red Bull and their main rivals Mercedes and Ferrari have now finalised their 2014 lineups, with the latter team announcing Raikkonen had signed a two-year deal to replace Brazilian Felipe Massa.

Lotus are the fourth most competitive outfit this season.

"We are currently in discussion with a few people and will make a decision shortly," Boullier told the team website (www.lotusf1team.com).

"We are in the privileged position of being the most desirable team on the grid with a seat available, so we are therefore in no rush to announce anyone without establishing what will be the best for our team and the future."

Germany's Nico Hulkenberg, the Sauber driver who had been tipped to join Ferrari when it seemed Raikkonen could be headed for Red Bull, looks an early front-runner but Massa could be another option.

Boullier said there was no bitterness about the Finn's decision to join Ferrari, the team with which he won the 2007 championship, alongside double world champion Fernando Alonso.

"Two years ago, when we decided to sign him, quite a few people thought we were crazy," said the Frenchman of a racer who had spent 2010 and 2011 competing in the world rally championship and NASCAR.

"And what happened in the end? We've been working with an amazing racer, who scored points for the team 27 times in a row, won two races, put motivation at a very high level at Enstone, and got on very well with his team mate.

"Now, it's time to think about the future. We remain a medium-sized team and there are some areas in which we're not in a position to fight against the other top teams just yet."

Lotus had hoped to retain Raikkonen and greeted Ferrari's announcement with a Twitter posting declaring "So #Kimi is off to #Ferrari for 2014; it hurts a little bit..." along with a photograph of two rabbits mating. (Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Ed Osmond)

Old 09-12-2013, 12:01 AM
μ

that's F1.
Nothing against Kimi or Alonso but I do hope Ferrari keeps struggling next year with their car, and that star lineup.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:51 AM
μ

I think the Alonso-Raikkonen pairing will be good for both of them as drivers and for Ferrari as a team. Although both drivers have a tendency to bad mouth their cars when they are not performing, their maturity levels are the highest of the entire grid. If they can work together, and the car is good in 2014, then I believe they have a pretty good chance and taking home both the drivers and constructors championships next year.

My money is on Hamilton or Rosburg next year though. With the rule changes I believe that the MBZ bankroll will tip the engine development their way. One thing is for sure, it'll be a clean slate when it comes to the cars next year. That combined with all the team swapping silliness will make for a good season.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:50 PM
μ

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com...for-2014-2015/

No GP for Baltimore

Old 09-14-2013, 12:42 AM
Leadership

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCountry S View Post
That's the IndyCar race.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:24 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamez View Post
That's the IndyCar race.
true, I guess I should've put it in the LeMans/IMSA/ALMS thread, sorry

Old 09-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to oreo Send a message via Yahoo to oreo

I'm looking forward to ABV next year.

Maybe with Honda power, Macca will have something that Jenson can put on a podium or three. Not sure how Alonso/Kimi will work. History doesn't look good when two WDCs are on the same team.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:26 PM
μ

Sounds like a good shakup within F1. I was hoping to see Kimi in a Red Bull car, but Ferrari will do. I love Lotus, but they can't seem to hold the same pace as Ferrari and Red Bull, and even Mercedes recently.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:43 PM
μ

Quite the interesting article posted on wired.com about Sebastian Vettel's dominance.

Quote:
But Vettel, speaking after his dominant performance in Singapore, tilted his hand when asked whether the accusations of traction control use bothered him.

We were playing around quite a lot with it in practice, but the first time it worked was in the race, Vettel said. I was quite confident other people would never figure out how we did it. We are pretty proud of the system we have because other people will never figure out how weve done it.
It sure would be interesting if it was found that Red Bull and Vettel were cheating or otherwise skirting the rules and regulations. And it is a little suspect that Vettel's car is so much quicker than not only the rest of the field but also Webber's car, which should basically be identical.

Read the full article and be sure to watch the short videos.
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/10...ction-control/
Old 10-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipgrafx View Post
It sure would be interesting if it was found that Red Bull and Vettel were cheating or otherwise skirting the rules and regulations.
Interesting? Yes. Surprising? No.

Remember recently (was it last year) that they found something illegal with the floor of that car?

Maybe all of Webber's horrid launches were them testing out their new system... Not to mention all his KERS troubles. Hmmmm...
Old 10-12-2013, 06:08 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

There's a video somewhere with the sound of vettels car under load coming out of a corner that sounded exactly the same as the cars with TC, he was also on the gas a lot sooner then any if the others. I'll try and find it
Old 10-12-2013, 09:59 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMatt View Post
There's a video somewhere with the sound of vettels car under load coming out of a corner that sounded exactly the same as the cars with TC, he was also on the gas a lot sooner then any if the others. I'll try and find it
Here is the video and a very interesting article .

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/10...ction-control/

The way Vettle can skate away on cold tires each time certainly points to something that no one else seems to have at their disposal. You have to love it when Adrian claims that their success is based only on their driver being at the top of his game and then the same driver says basically , Ya we have a system its going to be fun watching everyone e3lse try to figure it out .

Randy
Old 10-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Is it just my imagination, or does Vettel lose a LOT more time than Webber when his KERS has problems? I remember a few times this season when Webber went a tiny but slower without KERS, but in Japan quali, a Vettel with no KERS ends up behind Webber.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:29 PM
μ

It almost seemed to me like they provided just enough of a "problem" for him to not run away with another win and fall under additional negative press about his car. I'll give it to the guy, he's got a ton of talent, but there has to be some sort of an unfair advantage (cheating?) that is taking place with his car. His ability on previous races to gain 2+ seconds on the opening lap from the rest of the field, and to continue to pull away just isn't normal.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

^^ agree 100%