motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Braking Clamping the binders.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Braking

Old 07-12-2006, 01:31 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Default How hard is it really....

To change brakes? I'm a smart guy. I think in 3D pretty well. Honestly I've never tried however.

With some directions I think I could do it. What's your thoughts on my doing my own brakes.

I just need to know what tools to buy really and the directions and I'll be good to go.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:36 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

My firend did his mini's brakes before... and i heard words come out of his mouth that i've never heard in my life..

there's a tool that the dealer has to compress the brake so you can get the pads on. and Luckly he knew he guy at the dealer and they let him take in home so he can finish up.

u might be able to rent the tool at autozone or some parts place
Old 07-12-2006, 01:38 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

REAR BRAKE CALIPER RETRACTION TOOL - MINI COOPER & S for $200 on minimania.

I'm assuming that's what your talking about.

"When replacing the rear brake pads, it is necessary to retract the piston in the caliper to make room for the new pads. The piston in the rear caliper on the MINI needs to be 'rotated' as it is retracted - which is easily accomplished with this special factory tool. This tool ensures the right amount of turn as the piston gets retracted."
Old 07-12-2006, 01:39 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
REAR BRAKE CALIPER RETRACTION TOOL - MINI COOPER & S for $200 on minimania.

I'm assuming that's what your talking about.

"When replacing the rear brake pads, it is necessary to retract the piston in the caliper to make room for the new pads. The piston in the rear caliper on the MINI needs to be 'rotated' as it is retracted - which is easily accomplished with this special factory tool. This tool ensures the right amount of turn as the piston gets retracted."

ya.. but i bet you can rent one for like 20 bucks some where
Old 07-12-2006, 02:00 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa
ya.. but i bet you can rent one for like 20 bucks some where
Indeed Auto Source ( or Parts Source Does rent it ) and I picked on up for our club for $ 70 that has a whole bunch of sizes...
If you have a C-Clamp where the end does not slip well it works - it worked on mine - before i got the tool.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:44 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to RFIbanez

A C-clamp should work well enough.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:49 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Everything except the rear brake piston retraction is easy as cake, if you're just talking pads.

If you're talking rotors, and you live in a place that causes things to rust, the "fifth" bolt that holds the rotor to the hub will be rusted and will be pretty much impossible to remove with normal hand tools - you need to force a bolt to turn, but that bolt is attached to a piece that will be free to turn itself, so it's impossible to get any torque on it without an impact driver.

Most of the MINI folk up here with replacement rotors have that "fifth bolt" broken off because it just cannot be removed anywhere near easily.

On the other hand, I can change front brake pads in 15 minutes or so, and have started doing that as part of my at the track preparation routine. Get to the track, change four wheels and front brake pads, drive for the day, change front pads and wheels back for the drive home.

An allen headed socket thingy that's the right size for the caliper bolts will make life easier.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:44 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

brownMINI...Why can't you live in UT instead of VT.

I don't need my breaks replaced just yet but at least for my Accord they wanted $200 for the front and $210 for the rear. The people that know how to do breaks say it's not so hard and if your swapping yours out in 15 min. then it can't be too hard.

Do I need the caliper tool/c clamp to do the front as well or only the back?

I'm thinking if I pick up a car manual and the right tools it should be so bad.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:04 AM
μ

Send a message via ICQ to KiLO Send a message via AIM to KiLO Send a message via MSN to KiLO Send a message via Yahoo to KiLO

Thumper... I did it with a friend in the garage (that sounds dirty), and it was easy enough... a few hours and it was done.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:23 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

We'll yea the title of this thread sounds bad too. I'll give it a run when my breaks need done.

How bout' changing the oil? Most cars are pretty easy. How's the mini?
Old 07-12-2006, 06:25 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to RFIbanez

Changing the oil is pretty easy with the Mini as well.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:29 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I'll try to remember what tools are needed for brake pads...

You gotta get the wheels off, so that means a jack, a 17mm socket, and preferrably a breaker bar and torque wrench.

Then, to remove the sliders / pins / whatever they are called you need an 7mm allen wrench, or preferrably a 7mm allen socket on a small socket wrench with a short extension.

A pair of pliers to remove the retaining clip.

Now half of the caliper will come off and you can swap pads.

To retract the front piston, I use one of these:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes. Many people just push by hand instead of using a tool. And I have no idea if this spreader will work for the rear caliper or not, I haven't tried myself yet.

Then, you just put everything back together again.

For rotors, more tools and more work are needed. This howto is pretty good:
http://store.webbmotorsports.com/for...wtopic.php?t=5
Old 07-12-2006, 01:54 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via Yahoo to theroyalwe

the current issue of MC2 has a whole write up with pictures of how to change brake pads. check that out as a guide.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:59 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Yeah, I just use a large C-clamp to retract the rear pistons. Here's a quick step-by-step:

- Loosen the wheel bolts on the corner you want to work on.
- Jack the car up, and set it on jack-stands or some other secure means of holding the car up.
- Remove the wheel bolts and the wheel.
- Remove the retaining clip with a pair of pliers. It looks like a bent coat-hanger, and sits on the outside of the caliper.
- Reach around the back of the caliper and you'll feel (and see) two cylindrical rubber stubs sticking out, with plastic caps on the end. Remove the plastic caps with your fingernail.
- Using a 7mm allen wrench (pain in the ass) or 7mm allen socket (easier), remove the pins that are inside of the rubber stubs you just uncapped. They won't back all the way out, so once you've backed them out to the point that turning them is no longer productive, look between the two parts of the caliper and you'll see threads. Use your fingernail or a screwdriver to carefully back the pin out further.
- Wiggle the caliper off of the rotor, being careful to support the caliper at all times, not placing any stress on the brake line.
- Remove the brake pads. The fronts pull right out, and the rears slide off laterally.
- Using a large C-clamp, place the stationary C-part on the back of the caliper, and the end of the threaded shaft on the piston that protrudes from the inside of the caliper. The front pistons will push in directly, and can actually be compressed by hand. The rear pistons need to turn clockwise as they're pushed in, so this is where the C-clamp comes in handy. Turn the C-clamp until the swively end of the clamp shaft binds up, which will force the rear caliper piston to turn as you turn the C-clamp shaft. This may take some force, but be careful not to apply too much force! As you push the piston in, be very careful not to damage the rubber boot that surrounds it.
- Once the piston is compressed, put on the new brake pads. The fronts are pretty self-explanatory, while the rears need to slide onto the groove on the circumference of the piston.
- Place the outside pad on the caliper carrier, and slide the caliper back onto the carrier.
- Push the pins back into the holes in the caliper carrier, and thread them in just a little past snug. Not sure what the torque rating is, so use your own judgment to make 'em "good and tight".
- Place the caps back on the rubber stubs.
- Put the retaining clip back onto the outside of the caliper. This can be kind'a tricky, so take your time and try a few different methods!
- Before you go on your test drive, PUMP THE BRAKES UP! The pedal will go to the floor the first time you apply it, so it's important that you do this before you move the car.

Let us know if you have any questions! It sounds complicated, but it's actually pretty simple, and all four corners can be done in 1.5-2 hours.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:56 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Nice. I'm actually excited to change my pads now. heheh...I starting to sound like a woman.

bad pun....sorry