motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 08-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Leadership

Default Abandoned to time...

Personally, I love buildings & other property that are abandoned. They are like time capsules that show us things we either didn't know or had forgotten to time. They never fail to leave me with feelings of wonder, sadness & nostalgia.

When I read the following link it made me think of others:
Quote:
In the small town of Oakville, Ontario there sits a BMW dealership, abandoned for almost a decade. Inside the doors sit, frozen in time, two 20-year-old BMWs in seemingly mint condition. What happened?

There's something about abandoned car dealerships that fascinate us as car enthusiasts. With over 1,500 car dealerships closing their doors since the Carpocalypse, abandoned dealerships have become a modern version of the decades-old barn find fantasy.

All car guys fervently hope to one day find our car of our dreams secretly sitting somewhere — hidden away from prying eyes, safe from weather and time, just waiting for us to save it and make it our own. And it is dealerships like this one that help make us believe this secret car fantasy can someday become a reality.
More of the story here: http://jalopnik.com/5829911/the-myst...bmw-dealership

Last edited by Flamez; 08-11-2011 at 08:41 PM..
Old 08-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Leadership

Quote:
Somewhere in Ohio sits an abandoned Chrysler dealership with old cars parked on the showroom floor, like a prop leftover from a nuclear bomb test. The only evidence of its existence were a set of eerie Flickr photos. Until now.

The first photo of this abandoned dealership actually hit the Flickr photo sharing site in 2004. There's no name on the building or doors, just "Chrysler Plymouth Dodge Jeep" in a font that went out of style around the time Ronald Reagan became president. But the reason this dealership even hits our radar are the two Plymouth Fury sedans seen behind the bird-stained plate glass, tires sagging under rust.

Flash forward six years later and the scene looks much the same, evoking the preservation through neglect that suffocates much of Detroit and Rust Belt America. The weeds block some photos and are shorn in others; clearly the building is still standing and occasionally maintained, but otherwise it's an automotive time capsule. But where is this located? What happened? How did two mighty Mopar classics get here — and why did nobody care enough to move them?

We decided, after stumbling across the photos in a random Flickr search a few months ago, to find out.
More of the story here: http://jalopnik.com/5632032/the-myst...mment=28860808
Old 08-11-2011, 07:05 PM
μ

I want to go find this place
Old 08-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Leadership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukifer View Post
I want to go find this place
Me too.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

love this
Old 08-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Leadership

The Ghost Fleet of Suisun Bay...
Quote:
Stephen Freskos and I were standing half a mile from the Suisun Bay shoreline with binoculars in hand. The sun was sinking into the western horizon, silhouetting the ships that stood before us. It had long been a plan of ours to visit these ships, but we knew getting on them with permission wouldn’t be the right way to shoot them.

“The security boat goes by once every thirty minutes,” Stephen mused. “We’ll need to time our exit from the slough right. We can’t waste time.”

The slough was a long finger of water that would serve as our sole route in and out of the Mothball Fleet. On our walk out, we surmised that it was as deep as six feet and as shallow as six inches. A trail followed the length of the slough for approximately a half-mile. After that, we reached an impenetrable blanket of reeds, moats, and muddy quicksand that extended another half mile to open water.

“We’ll have to time the tides,” I added. I knew that a fully loaded boat would drag bottom at six inches. Anything shallower and the boat wouldn’t move at all. Between our gear and our body weight, the boat would be carrying a cargo of about 700 lbs.
More of the story here: http://www.terrastories.com/bearings/abandoned-ships
Old 08-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Leadership

Six Flags New Orleans...
Quote:
Interstate 10 curves up and out of New Orleans, looping out of the Big Easy and chasing the Gulf Coast towards points east. About thirty minutes outside the city, just after the I-510 interchange, a set of faded blue structures rises on the southern horizon. These are the derelict roller coasters of Six Flags New Orleans, which closed in advance of Hurricane Katrina and has yet to reopen.

The park was not so much shut down as abandoned—sacrificed, almost, to the encroaching storm. Merchandise stayed on shelves, electronics remained in place, and the logs in the flume ride were left stuck halfway up their plastic hills. The sole preparation for Katrina seems to be a message on the park’s signboard, still visible more than three years later: CLOSED FOR STORM.
http://www.terrastories.com/bearings...-flags-orleans
Old 08-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Leadership

Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch...
Quote:
I wanted to make this post, not simply to jump on the bandwagon of the media outpouring for Michael Jackson. I’m not here to judge his life or talk about his finances, or his troubled past, or the allegations, or even Bubbles. I’m writing this simply to tell a story. It’s a story that I didn’t really have the inclination to say before. Now that Michael’s “Ranch” no longer exists, and — rides dismantled — it simply stands as a bank-owned shadow of its former self, I wanted say a few things about my experience at Neverland, and the truth behind how I was able to get in.

In many ways, I feel this is sort of a confession. I never saw Neverland as an interesting place. At first, I didn’t understood its potential to tell a photographic story. As someone who finds significance in historic architecture, I neither saw Neverland as significant, nor historic. All of that changed.

In December of 2007, I was on my way down to Ventura for the Holidays. I had taken multiple trips down the 101 before. Each trip, I made it a point to stop at a roadside abandonment to photograph at night. As it invariably is every December, just prior to Christmas, the radios are filled with the repetitious yuletide jingles of yore. Usually, the six-hour drive is bearable if I switch from one station to the next – between commercials. This particular drive down, I grew weary of the music. I’m not exactly sure why Michael came to mind. Part of it probably had to do with the silence and the habit of mine to imagine music in my head in such moments. It’s also possible that I passed the off-ramp for Los Olivos and thought of the place, only to think of it more and more. Whatever it was, the idea of then-abandoned Neverland began to roll around in my mind. The radio was off, and I began mentally turning over rocks in the process. What did Neverland mean about Michael? Then the big one loomed: Why couldn’t Neverland be “historic” in my mind?
http://www.terrastories.com/bearings...ichael-jackson
Old 08-11-2011, 08:22 PM
μ

damn a 67 Fury, (sigh), you guys should find that place!

Old 08-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Leadership

Abandoned Soviet Bomber Base: http://iliketowastemytime.com/abando...omber-regiment
Old 08-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Shanaynay Send a message via Yahoo to Shanaynay

That is cool. Car Timecapsules.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Location just established for Ken Block's next Gymkhana.

Great set of images!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamez View Post
Old 08-11-2011, 08:49 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to not-so-rednwhitecooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamez View Post
Been there, its in Liverpool.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Urban Explorer Resource

Group of people that like to explore abandoned buildings and take pictures. There is an Atlanta chapter and I really want to meet up with them, but I am getting old and the idea of being charged with trespassing is less appealing.

Still love looking at pics though.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:17 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

That one posted by midnitecoop looks exactly like where TopGear did their crappy russian car challenge! Even the brick bunker....