motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Motoring Events Stay informed of upcoming motoring events.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > Motoring Events

Old 02-21-2013, 06:39 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Default MINIS Hunt For A Cure 2013 (Oyster Bay Cove, NY L.I.)

JOIN US APRIL 28TH 2013

MINIs Hunt for a Cure to Lou Gehirig's Disease

Join us as we help find a cure for ALS! This first ever Mini Cooper run benefits Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis ( Lou Gehrig's disease), a disease of the nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord that control voluntary muscle movement. Most commonly, the disease strikes people between the ages of 40 and 70, and as many as 30,000 Americans have the disease at any given time. Unfortunately, there is no known cure for ALS. All proceeds from this event will be donated to the ALS Association.

Registration will take place between 11am and 12pm at Theodore Roosevelt's Home, the Sagamore Hill National Historic Site (Subject to change-Alternate location Youngs memorial Cemetary). The registration fee will be a $20 donation per car load. Extra money will be needed for raffles during dinner. Any Additional donations are deeply appreciated.

Please sign up for the event beforehand, either here or on the FB group (make sure to mention the number of people in your car) or email Andrew or Sam at minishuntforacure2013@gmail.com

This will be a Scavenger Hunt style event, participants will be supplied with an information packet at registration consisting of a map with marked locations (and address for use with gps), instructions on how to execute required tasks as well a question sheets. Each car will perform the event independently, (or in small, self-organized teams if desired). Prizes will be awarded on the basis of a combination of lowest mileage and most questions/tasks performed correctly. The last stop will be Habberstad Mini, where we will announce winners, enjoy a catered dinner, and draw raffles.

Please bring a digital camera or cell phone with the ability to download pictures to a laptop, a gps (this will help navigate the shortest route), and a walkie talkie to communicate with your fellow motorists

This will be a fun day filled with scenic routes and historic locations!

How to Donate...
The ALS Association is a national non-profit organization fighting Lou Gehrig’s Disease on every front. By leading the way in global research, providing assistance for people with ALS through a nationwide network of chapters, coordinating multidisciplinary care through certified clinical care centers, and fostering government partnerships, the association builds hope and enhances quality of life while aggressively searching for new treatments and a cure. Not only is this organization the only one of it’s kind in the country, it is also one of the least funded.

If you can not attend but would like to make a donation you can wire it to me via paypal @ andrewbatson92@gmail.com

Every Dollar helps!

Anthony lluminato 5/24/55-12/5/10
I have organized this fundraiser in Honor of my Uncle, Anthony Illuminato, who passed away from ALS just over two years ago. I regret that it was only in the last few years of Tony’s life that I really got to know him as the man that he truly was, a comical and dedicated man who was willing to help any of his acquaintances when possible. Having owned his own roofing busi-ness for over 20 years Anthony had met many customers and made innumerable friends, every one of which could tell a uniquely different story of Anthony’s sense of comedy and eccentric antics. He did not fail at living up to his last name (illuminato meaning illuminated in Italian) by brightening up a room with his positive presence and light hearted conversations. I have yet to meet someone who knew my Uncle and does not speak of him while fighting a reminiscent grin.

Having been blessed with having such an in-spiring figure in my life I feel it is my obligation to keep Anthony’s influence alive by raising money to combat ALS. Every dollar raised is a step closer to preventing this physically paralyz-ing disease from affecting another parent, son, wife, or friend. Please join us for a day of auto-motive fun in memory of a fellow car enthusiast

Special thanks to Habberstad Mini for Providing their showroom, food, and prizes.

FB page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/485061078198314/