motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Style Share your automotive styles, both inside and out.

Go Back   motoring|underground > Showoffs > Style

Old 09-13-2009, 04:45 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Moxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tüls View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I cant wait till this fad passes... and people stop calling it "dry carbon wrap" I mean for god sake it's a vinyl sticker imprinted with marks to emulate carbon. Not dry carbon.
Awww... it's not real? I didn't catch that.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:51 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

First, let me apologize for continuing the Jack of this thread.

I think this is indicative of why I personally feel "left out" of the club here. Not everyone has the means or ability to do some of the awesome work some of you have been able to do to your MINIs. Me, I love the car but don't have the expendable cash to do certain things "the best way". I have invested in my kids and my house, which doesn't leave a whole lot for "professional Mods" to my car.

I plasti-dipped my light rings, grill surround, scoop and gas cap. Sure, vinyl wrap is nicer, may last longer and is more expensive. But I wanted a look that would fit in my budget.

Tuls, Rally, your cars are simply awesome. Congrats on having the means, know how and ability to do what you do and you deserve all of the respect you get from your work. But how you put down those that go a different route is disappointing and excluding.

I'm only speaking for myself here and basing it on the responses or lack thereof considering my vehicle. I know my car's not slammed, and I know you all may not like my graphics and work. But I do, and the lack of support for others individuality is odd in a car forum. It seems if one doesn't do it like you do, then it's cheap and not deserving of your respect. Even if it comes down to the means of the individual.

I do however appreciate the fact that the material here is not Dry Carbon Wrap, but a vinyl sticker. I agree that it should be named properly, but to bash those that go that route is a little out of bounds IMO.

Again, nothing personal and I love your cars. But some like different things and everyone should be open to different ideas and visions.

/off my soap box, thanks for letting me contribute.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:04 PM
μ

Ok first off, it wasnt putting anything down. I was simply trying to make the point again to stop calling it "dry carbon wrap"

the comment about the laminate in a trailer being cheezy was simply because Justin and others just didnt seem to get the point.

I dont care what it is. Plastidip, vinyl, CHROME.. even real non functional Carbon fiber, too much of anything is BAD. It doesnt mean because you have a little of any of these things or have done it that you suck at life.

You are getting WAY off base saying we are bashing. We LOVE fresh unique ideas. However, somethings just get played. I even reconsidered my paint scheme cause it's seems like EVERYONE is doing satin. Especially since it's so easy with vinyl. Oh well. It happens. This is a bit different.

This isnt NAM or any other forum. It's MU. We have been called many names because people are too sensitive and cannot understand that just be cause we are willing to point things out doesnt mean it's bashing.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:12 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Firstly...sorry about coming off rude in any way. It's just my personal view on things. I only initially compared this fabric to plasti-dip to relate their popularity due to price/ease. I feel that you will start seeing this pop up more and more on the MINI forums. The same happened to plasti-dip a few months back. I simply meant to point out the inevitable popularity that it was gaining.

I didn't intend to come off as bashing. You can check back and read my posts. I didn't make any personal statements directed at anyone. I never even said that I didn't like how it looks. I simply stated that I feel that it's gonna be another fad that quickly gets "played out" and that's something that bums me out. Sorry if it came off otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC55MINI View Post
Not everyone has the means or ability to do some of the awesome work some of you have been able to do to your MINIs.
Honestly, laying actual carbon wouldn't take THAT much more money to accomplish. It's a little more expensive than $5/yd , but it's not something a little saving couldn't easily overcome. Especially when it comes to smaller parts like interior bits.

And skills/ability....that's why the internet is great. Half the time when I take on a project, I have no idea what I'm doing. I spend a week or two reading up on it and then I use the project as a means of learning. The internet is packed with DIY's, how-to's, and articles.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:15 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Got it, and I'm not calling names or being too sensitive. I'm looking for someplace to talk cars and talk individuality without negativity. This may be it, may not.

And options, looking for those too. Some that I'll save for, some that I can do today that will suffice until the another option is available.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2009, 05:19 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC55MINI View Post
I'm looking for someplace to talk cars and talk individuality without negativity. This may be it, may not.
Tuls is right. We're not trying to be negative for the sake of negativity. I think many of us here come from some sort of artistic background where critiques are very commonplace. You share your opinions, positive or negative, when talking among friends and colleagues. The other person takes it for what it's worth and continue to do what they feel is best. Critiques help people grow and learn. They aren't meant to discourage or put anyone down .

Anyway, I hope you stick around. Our opinions are just opinions. We just share them as part of the discussion.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:22 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
Firstly...sorry about coming off rude in any way. It's just my personal view on things. I only initially compared this fabric to plasti-dip to relate their popularity due to price/ease. I feel that you will start seeing this pop up more and more on the MINI forums. The same happened to plasti-dip a few months back. I simply meant to point out the inevitable popularity that it was gaining.

I didn't intend to come off as bashing. You can check back and read my posts. I didn't make any personal statements directed at anyone. I never even said that I didn't like how it looks. I simply stated that I feel that it's gonna be another fad that quickly gets "played out" and that's something that bums me out. Sorry if it came off otherwise.

Honestly, laying actual carbon wouldn't take THAT much more money to accomplish. It's a little more expensive than $5/yd , but it's not something a little saving couldn't easily overcome. Especially when it comes to smaller parts like interior bits.

And skills/ability....that's why the internet is great. Half the time when I take on a project, I have no idea what I'm doing. I spend a week or two reading up on it and then I use the project as a means of learning. The internet is packed with DIY's, how-to's, and articles.
Much respect to you Rally. Thanks! And I see where you're coming from.

I get the DIY thing, which is why I'm here. I'm learning so much here just by reading posts like your garage, Tuls and many others. I've got my performance wants and those will not be compromised by the cheap route. The easy stuff, I'm ok with a little dip on the grill and rings to get a look that I want. Spend $5 on a can of dip will help me save for the right performance parts.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:30 PM
μ

Quote:
Tuls is right. We're not trying to be negative for the sake of negativity. I think many of us here come from some sort of artistic background where critiques are very commonplace. You share your opinions, positive or negative, when talking among friends and colleagues. The other person takes it for what it's worth and continue to do what they feel is best. Critiques help people grow and learn. They aren't meant to discourage or put anyone down .

Anyway, I hope you stick around. Our opinions are just opinions. We just share them as part of the discussion.
/\This.

JC55MINI if it helps, I have two cans of plastidip. I was just as interested in what it was all about.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:35 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tüls View Post
/\This.

JC55MINI if it helps, I have two cans of plastidip. I was just as interested in what it was all about.
Yeah, I get it. Maybe I was being a little sensitive

You guys cleared it up and sorry for jumping to conclusions.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:37 PM
μ

It's all good. Sometimes we all need a check. I tend to just post things here cause I am comfy. Forgetting not everyone knows me as well or how I am. Etc.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:32 PM
µ Leadership

Quote:
. I think many of us here come from some sort of artistic background where critiques are very commonplace. You share your opinions, positive or negative, when talking among friends and colleagues. The other person takes it for what it's worth and continue to do what they feel is best. Critiques help people grow and learn. :

EXACTLY
Old 09-13-2009, 10:04 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to glnr13

nice textured vinyl wrap
Old 09-14-2009, 12:55 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to jbell

If you don't like it. cool.

many people do, many dont.

i don't understand you're problem with the name though. it's just a name.
if you're gonna be that much of stickler, you might as well not call a carbon fiber hood, a carbon fiber hood.
they're like 15 layers of fiberglass, and one of carbon. really, its a fiberglass hood with a top layer of carbon to make it pretty.

anyway- i just install vinyl. this happens to be the new cool thing.
i like it- i use it a bit on my car. I usually pull it back off, and get bored quickly- but that comes with the artsy views and ADD.
I'm a fan of plasti-dip too. It's more or less a better black spray paint.

I agree about the DIYs, the cheap tastes, over-doing things... all that.
but then again- it's just a car. and everyone does something different.

Last edited by jbell; 09-14-2009 at 01:06 AM..
Old 09-14-2009, 12:59 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to glnr13

hey man, don't get me wrong I dig it.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:26 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to jbell

not my car, but heres some more word i did:

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.