motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Style Share your automotive styles, both inside and out.

Go Back   motoring|underground > Showoffs > Style

Old 11-21-2006, 05:17 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally
Default wide arches

I Am looking for the following:

-Simply wider arches. Take the design of the current ones, stretch them outwards....don't make them a new shape or anything.

-Don't touch the front lip, rear lip, or sideskirts

-Make it out of black plastic JUST like the factory. It would be a simple bolt-on no paint-required mod.

-You could easily offer smooth paint-ready versions as well...but the black plastic version is required IMO

-nothing too wide....just enough to get some fatter wheels/tires under there

I will get a p-shop ready soon....DISCUSS!
Old 11-21-2006, 05:31 AM
μ

bad p-shop...but meh

Notice it still goes inwards at the bottom. That's important.

I also like it to not dive down as much at the top...it kinda goes straight out

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:41 AM
μ

kinda like the arches on the front of this car (in black plastic and obviously not molded )

Old 11-21-2006, 05:45 AM
μ

and these are a nice shape as well in black plastic:

Old 11-21-2006, 05:49 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I dunno... I have seen a few custom wide body kits and they look good. It could be that I am just not seeing it, but to me it kinda jacks with the Mini's lines.

I like the ZEEMAX kit, but not the bumpers.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:51 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I remember Mini-Mania having something like that. Don't know if they still do, or not.
Jim
Old 11-21-2006, 05:51 AM
μ

Ralley you and I are on the same page regarding shape and the ability to stand alone as a seperate entity . The key is going to be how wide to make them. If we establish that we do not want to have to resort to wider wheels or spacers to fill the new arch I think we are going to be suprised as to how small of a arch will be required for the job. For example with the photo shop pic that you did , and I know it was a quick one ,I would think that you would have to go with a much wider wheel as well as maby a 245 series tire to fill that wheel well. Now for those that want to incur that extra expense and go for that look it would be fine but I do not think the average mini guy is going for that. On another note I have dirven a Mini with a wide tire and wheel package and in one word it was EVIL in the handling dept. Thoughts ?

Randy
M7 Tuning
Old 11-21-2006, 05:52 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimz68 View Post
I remember Mini-Mania having something like that. Don't know if they still do, or not.
Jim
it was breyton and as far as i know it was discontinued. I have hunted for a little over a year
Old 11-21-2006, 05:55 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimz68 View Post
Jim
Mini Mani had those in the catalog way back in 02.They were from a German company ( breyton was it ) and were only for the mini . They never seemed to have had them in stock. They might have been just put up to gage the market interest.

randy
M7 tuning
Old 11-21-2006, 05:59 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmini View Post
Ralley you and I are on the same page regarding shape and the ability to stand alone as a seperate entity . The key is going to be how wide to make them. If we establish that we do not want to have to resort to wider wheels or spacers to fill the new arch I think we are going to be suprised as to how small of a arch will be required for the job. For example with the photo shop pic that you did , and I know it was a quick one ,I would think that you would have to go with a much wider wheel as well as maby a 245 series tire to fill that wheel well. Now for those that want to incur that extra expense and go for that look it would be fine but I do not think the average mini guy is going for that. On another note I have dirven a Mini with a wide tire and wheel package and in one word it was EVIL in the handling dept. Thoughts ?

Randy
M7 Tuning
Hmmmm it all comes down to the user i guess

I will start off by saying that the p-shop i did was too wide. It was more meant to emphasize shape.

I would widen it like .5 inches maybe 1 inch if you really want to make it a wiiiide arch kit. To me it would be more about the shape change than anything else. Maybe help people avoid having to shave their arches by making just a little more clearance in there? I think by making the arches slope less, you wouldn't have that annoying little lip in there that rubs on the tire. I'm sure you know which little lip I'm talking about with your hamanns.

I plan to be running 16x9's either with the OEM arches or with the new wide arch kit....even giving .5 inches to the arches would be amazing.

I honestly think that if you are just extending them .5 inches, it would be an easy job to find someone willing to make the molds. After that, you could get them molded in plastic and sell them as simple bolt-on parts that dont even need to be painted. Since they are just plastic they would be pretty cheap to make and i think they would sell like hot-cakes
Old 11-21-2006, 06:29 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
Hmmmm it all comes down to the user i guess

I will start off by saying that the p-shop i did was too wide. It was more meant to emphasize shape.

I would widen it like .5 inches maybe 1 inch if you really want to make it a wiiiide arch kit. To me it would be more about the shape change than anything else. Maybe help people avoid having to shave their arches by making just a little more clearance in there? I think by making the arches slope less, you wouldn't have that annoying little lip in there that rubs on the tire. I'm sure you know which little lip I'm talking about with your hamanns.

I plan to be running 16x9's either with the OEM arches or with the new wide arch kit....even giving .5 inches to the arches would be amazing.

I honestly think that if you are just extending them .5 inches, it would be an easy job to find someone willing to make the molds. After that, you could get them molded in plastic and sell them as simple bolt-on parts that dont even need to be painted. Since they are just plastic they would be pretty cheap to make and i think they would sell like hot-cakes

I agree regarding the size. When I first thought about wider arches Aug 22 2002 ( i took delivery Aug 21 2002 ) I was thinking maby 3/4 inch at most. Keep the shape and forgo the squared off portion if possible. As for construction it is a really tough decision Mfg wise. Yes plastic would be much cheeper to produce once you have the molds. The killer is the cost of those molds to produce . It is like the chicken or the egg, which comes first. If you go hand lay up over a buck the costs are down for the initial start up but each individual piece is more expensive. I can look into these questions and get some answers from the experts but for now I am just working with what limited knowledge I have with regards to these processes.

Randy
m7 Tuning
Old 11-21-2006, 07:19 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Strom Send a message via MSN to Strom

I agree on the 1/2" size increase - that would be enough to cover wider tires/wheels, but wouldn't be to the point that you'd need really extreme offsets or large spacers. From what I've heard, a wider front track on the Mini REALLY helps with stability in sweepers.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:07 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Konky

I'm down!

Old 11-21-2006, 03:22 PM
μ

I like the 1/2" and factory look - make it happen

Old 11-21-2006, 03:32 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via ICQ to fj0 Send a message via AIM to fj0 Send a message via MSN to fj0

I've thought about this as well and as you say Mini Mania had what looked like an LSB(BMW Laguna Seca Blue) MINI with wide arches, I believe they were made by Pilo racing?

EDIT:
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...ht=wide+arches

MCS '03 JB/B - Black, LOUD and loow!

Alta CAI | 3" Custom cat-back | Checkered Roof | H&R Coilovers | 20% Tint all-around | Hawk HPS Pads | Alta 15%
Rota Sub Zero 18x7.5"(ET45) Royal Gunmetal | "Bodykit", grill and headlight rings painted bodycolor | Debadged
Tinted Rearlights and front indicators | Alpine CDA-9853R | Alpine KCA-420i | iPod 60GB | Toyo Proxes T1-R 215/35/18

BLOG → www.fj0.se ← BLOG