motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Paddocks General automotive banter, covering any make and model.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Paddocks

Old 07-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default R53 LIGHTING questions

Hey everyone, I did a search on here and couldn't really find the specifics on where to find exactly what I was looking for, so I decided to post a thread to see if you guys new the best sources to find lighting that would be comparable to the attached pic. I found this pic on newminiclub.nl, but couldn't find the info on there either. I'm basically just looking for the bulbs for everything except the headlights, for I already have the xeon ones. Any help would be appreciated as always.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:15 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to glnr13

the markers in the bumper are halo turn signals. i tried to do a quick google search for them but it doesn't seem like many people carry them any more.

the fog lights are regular but it sounds like you're looking for the blue tone.
The key is to make sure all the lights you buy are the same temp. When you purchase the bulb it will say their kelvin rating in the details. If it doesn't they suck.
Here's a simple guide:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:05 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thanks a million, I'll look more into it, but this info helped a lot
Old 07-30-2014, 05:51 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Hi guys,

I hope its okay to hijack the thread but I figured it would be better than starting a new thread for a similar subject.

I've been looking for a new headlight solution over my current stock halogen setup. I see a lot of people getting the xenon headlights. But after searching I haven't really found what exactly people are buying. Are you guys buying the ebay HID conversion?

Like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-Cooper-...5ea9cb&vxp=mtr

I was looking at the helix/depo projector lenses that just came out.

http://www.parts4euro.com/helix-blac...er-p-3378.html

They say they are projectors that use the halogen bulbs. And they are much cheaper. I know they arent HID's but I am pretty happy with how much light my halogens through out so thats not an issue. Therefore I think this is the way I would like to go. Does anyone have any experience with these types of projectors? Do they actually improve anything? Sorry if this has been posted before but I have been searching this forum and others and I havent really found too much info on these projectors.

http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6709&dateline=1335062  411
Old 07-31-2014, 01:00 AM
μ

if you're happy with what your light output is now with OEM than there is no reason to upgrade to projectors, especially aftermarket.

If you're planning on putting in the hella's in the first link i think you're going to need the ballasts to ignite the xenon and you might want to think about the self leveling bits and pieces so they go up and down otherwise they'll just point at the ground.

in regards to the aftermarket, well, some say depo's suck. i am one of those that has had a few depo lights on different cars but never on a MINI. they worked great on my other cars but they were late gen after a lot of complaints from unsatisfied customers. You'll be first gen for the MINI ones, not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:15 AM
μ

I'll just say this. Most aftermarket projectors that you can buy on ebay are complete tirds. MOST. I don't have experience with the setup you're looking at getting, but there is a LOT of research that goes into amplifying and directing a beam of light through a projector. That's why there really are only a few major players in the game.

The hella kit will require you to get new bulbs and ballasts. You can probably get an entire kit from theretrofitsource.com for a pretty good deal.

But let me just tell you from experience that the world of upgraded lighting is one of the true definitions of "you pay to play". The really good stuff is rather expensive. There's a reason the Bi-Xenon headlight upgrades for your car from the dealer is about $500... because that's about what it costs for OEM stuff.

Glen also brought up a good point. Self Leveling kits are not a requirement in the US, but there have been numerous studies done on how much it would improve safety.

Bottom line, if you're looking to increase light output safely and not just looking for some kind of "style" or pretty blue/purple lights, then a proper projector housing and HID bulb is really the next logical step up from an OEM halogen setup.

This is just my opinion, but I've completed 3 HID projector retrofits and used pretty much every aftermarket halogen bulb on the market. haha.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:56 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Awesome guys, thanks for the great responses.

Yeah so the main objective is to get a new lens (mine are all yellow, and even when you buff them out they become yellow in a month). I am personally not that interested in HIDs. I know they are brighter, but I cant afford them right now so I am not even going to worry about it. Since lighting is the purest form of you get what you pay for, what is the most legit halogen system I could get? If possible, I would rather have the best halogen system vs a sub par hid kit. I also like the idea of not having to install any ballasts or autoleveling systems. Id just have to pop these guys in and put in my standard halogen bulbs and Ill be good right? I cant seem to find any reviews on the halogen projectors that I linked since I think they are new, but are there any others from a reputable company?

http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6709&dateline=1335062  411
Old 07-31-2014, 04:57 PM
μ

Quote:
HELIX / Depo Projector Headlights
Type: Projector Headlights
Color: Clear Lens / Black Housing
Lens: Plastic
Bulbs Included: No
Bulb Specifications: H7 High, H7 Low
Perfect replacement for your stock headlights. Give your vehicle an upgraded look with projectors. DOT & SAE approved.
Use stock connector = Plug & Play.
Only for models with stock halogen headlights. Please note that this version does not have headlight washers.
Leveling motors are included.
Comes in a pair.
you're still in the same boat with the halogen projectors in regards to the leveling.
you NEED the leveling or they'll point at the ground. OR you adjust them so they point up but that's not the "right" way to do it.

a new set of OEM headlights i think are the safest bet.
in regards to the lens yellowing, have you done a port and polish on them + wax and sealer?
Old 07-31-2014, 05:55 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Hmm, okay. Makes sense that it doesn't matter whether its HID or halogen, as long as they are projectors they will need auto leveling. But it does say they are included so thats a good thing. Just checked, it looks like OEM headlamp assemblies are about 400 for the pair. gln13, you were saying that you've had both bad and good experiences w/ Depo? Helix is a somewhat reputable brand right? As it seems like no ones really tried these and written a review on them, I'm willing to be the guinea pig on this one, and write up a review on how they look/work.

As far as polishing the headlights, Ive taken it to a body shop and they buffed it and they looked amazing. I then went and bought some headlight sealant and followed the directions but they still became hazy again in a month. I think its a losing battle, and that id rather just start w/ some new lenses.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:59 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Another perk, is that these are already Joey modded. Im thinking it would be a subdle upgrade to the lookk of the front end. Not sure how they look in person though.

Chrome, with Black Chrome inside (the one I would get):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-06-MINI-C...6f1449&vxp=mtr

Black:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-06-MINI-C...16d25c&vxp=mtr

OEM Look:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-06-MINI-C...8a0d95&vxp=mtr

Old 07-31-2014, 06:08 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

For a simple solution, replace the stock 55W H7 bulbs with the Osram Rallye 64217 65W H7 bulb.
It's only 10W more, but much more efficient (2100 lumens vs 1400-1500 stock). It's actually
an H9 bulb on a H7 base. The lifespan is similar to the OEM ones, and the color is 3200K.
I have 4 in my 2003 MINI R50 and 4 in my wife's 2001 VW Cabrio, for both regular and high beams.

Here's a link:

http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html

DanielSternLighting has them, too, 2/3 of the way down on this link:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html
Old 08-01-2014, 09:47 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremesota View Post
Hmm, okay. Makes sense that it doesn't matter whether its HID or halogen, as long as they are projectors they will need auto leveling. But it does say they are included so thats a good thing. Just checked, it looks like OEM headlamp assemblies are about 400 for the pair. gln13, you were saying that you've had both bad and good experiences w/ Depo? Helix is a somewhat reputable brand right? As it seems like no ones really tried these and written a review on them, I'm willing to be the guinea pig on this one, and write up a review on how they look/work.

As far as polishing the headlights, Ive taken it to a body shop and they buffed it and they looked amazing. I then went and bought some headlight sealant and followed the directions but they still became hazy again in a month. I think its a losing battle, and that id rather just start w/ some new lenses.
self leveling motors are included but no sensors. you'll need to get that worked out and somehow tell the lights to level when they need to.

DEPO has been making knock off OEM lights for a long while now. The ones i've used were for e34 and e30 BMW's. All sets I've had worked great but some early adopters found that the manufacturer did not seal them properly and they would fog up.