motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 09-12-2006, 06:18 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD

Things I remember from 9-11:

- My father, a stoic character, had tears in his eyes for the first time I know of in the 32 years I'd been alive up to that point.
- My mother, a tad aloof of any news or external contact, had no idea WTF was going on even at 6:00 that night. Mmmmkay, mom's in her own little world. Gotta' get her out more...
- I errantly ran a red light for the first time as I tried to adjust my stereo in disbelief over what I was hearing moments before the second tower impact. Barely missed another car at that moment.
- My office watched the feed in disbelief and relative silence before shutting down early to go home.
- I watched my office (that celebrates Halloween but has a Winter vs. a Christmas Party) come together to pray in a massive group. Muslim, Christian, Jewish, agnostic, unknown. Somehow everybody transgressed into a level/type of religious American that day.
- I searched for a best friend working and living in the general vicinity. He was okay. He left NY shortly thereafter.
- I wore the psychologist's hat and attempted to temper and support several of my employees freaking out over the event.
- I went home and put my flag up on the pole.
- I wondered what would come next.

It was a day of many firsts, countless questions, few answers, and hopefully many lasts never to be repeated.

It was a day that proved how little we've progressed as humans in spite of our best intentions, convictions, and inventions.

It was a day of sorrow that underscored the importance of freedom and just how precious that commodity is.

It was a day I was more proud to be an American in spite of the risks.

It was a day I'll never forget.

That's what I remember.

Click the image to open in full size.
image here

Last edited by werD; 09-12-2006 at 06:35 AM..
Old 09-12-2006, 06:19 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via MSN to MINInurse

We just went when we were in JC with MTTS. I never expected that the Path Train would go THROUGH the shells. It was very surreal, and very emotional. I am really glad that I got the opportunity to visit. That was my first time back since I was in high school. I hope this picture shows up. Ssallykat took this of me and Scavenger (NAM names..DCMMers) from G0. I had a really tough time holding back the tears. What a place..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th_DSCF0896.jpg (3.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-12-2006, 07:33 AM
μ

I just finished watching a show on Discovery Channel about the second plane (United flight 175) to hit the Trade Center. They interviewed/talked with some people that were actually on the phone with their loved ones on the plane when it hit the building. I can't even begin to image the pain and emotional hell they must have went through and continue to go through every time the videos are shown.

Back in August my wife and I visited a travelling 9/11 memorial here in San Diego. It was pretty amazing to see some of what was recovered and put on display. I wanted to take pictures of everything I saw but it was just too emotional or overwhelming, not sure how to describe it. I did manage to take a few. Click on them to see the rest of my 9/11 photos.

Be sure to see the larger version of this photo.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:53 PM
μ

Bump for the 7 year anniversary and since there are so many new members.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:03 PM
µ Retired

I hadn't seen this thread before. Thanks for the bump. Just looked through your photo album from the exhibit you saw....I am speechless.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:19 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Adam Send a message via Skype™ to Adam

Pretty deep stuff, I was in high school, in history class, when it happened. Living about three hours from there and having been there many times before and since really makes it hit home. This is one of the first years that it hasn't been a big deal 'round these parts, even though I'm about three more hours away (seven total) now.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:22 PM
µ Retired

I was actually at work, leaving work that is, saw it happen on a patient's television. My wife was on her way to school, everything was canceled. It was such a strange feeling, how everything just stopped. Both our classes were canceled for a full week...
Old 09-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to NikiMae31

i was in my junior year in high school..i was leaving my algebra class and someone said "a plane hit the wtc" i thought it was some stupid rumor thing..went to my next class..we turned on the tv just to see...and just sat for the next couple hours watching it all unfold in horror..my teacher was even crying..we didnt even change classes..no one did...i remember what i was wearing that day...i had a field hockey game that got canceled because of it..the next game we had both teams sang the national anthem...it was just so weird..like everyone said...a nightmare...
Old 09-12-2008, 02:49 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to TheWanderer

I didn't see this thread last year. Here's my story.

I grew up on Long Island about an hour or so from downtown Manhatten. My dad worked 30 years on the Long Island Railroad and thankfully wasn't in NYC that day. He was however in Long Island City and saw the second plane hit. I still live on Long Island, a little further east now but I'll never leave.

Anyway, I was in study hall napping in my senior year of high school. I was awoken by a PA announcement from my principal stating "Will anyone who has any family members who work in or near the World Trade Center please come to the auditorium." Odd, I though to myself.

The bell rang. I headed to my next class, AP Gov't. I heard some talk in the hallways about a plane hitting the Twin Towers. I brushed it off. Got to my next class a few minutes later. My teacher had the radio on (against school policy). There was some more serious talk about what we thought was going on for about a minute and then over the radio we heard that a second plane just hit the WTC. There was dead silence. I mean in the entire school. No one moved. No one spoke. We just listened. After about 15 minutes the teacher turned the radio off and let us go. As it turned out a bunch of other students left class as well. I went to go find my sister, my friends, and my girlfriend to make sure everyone was ok that they knew. I called my parents to make sure they were ok and if I had any relatives downtown. I didn't, thankfully. The rest of the day was alot of watching CNN, crying, being close to family, etc.

Some people I knew lost people they knew. Thankfully no one close to me lost anyone close to them. It was one of the strangest days I've ever had. So many emotions.

Now I'm part of an ambulance corps that responded on 9/11/01. We didn't lose anyone since we were mostly helping with the aftermath not so much first reponse. I gotta say that it is part of the reason I decided to join earlier this year. So many people gave their lives trying to save others. It was the community helping the community. There isn't much better than that. That is the type of stuff I try to get out of that day. The good. The silver lining. The anger and revenge doesn't help anything.

This is always a surreal day.

Last edited by TheWanderer; 09-12-2008 at 02:54 AM..
Old 09-12-2008, 03:19 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I was still in the Philippines when this absolute tragedy took place. I was at my girlfriend (now wife's) house when the 1st plane hit the tower.

Our local news was initially reporting that it was an accident but I knew in my gut that there was no doubt in my mind it was bin laden who was the mastermind. From the 1st twin tower attack to the USS Cole, this just reaked bin laden's MO.

When the second plane hit, I knew that the world as we knew it was never going to be the same. I stayed up for 2 straight days watching CNN. Hoping and praying for the victims and survivors.

Everything stopped in time as well which was surreal as we were millions of miles away from this tragedy. Although we were oceans apart we all cried together, we all prayed together, we all stood together.

We will never forget!!
Old 09-12-2008, 03:22 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tüls View Post
This event has always stuck out to me cause growing up my dad always told me about what it was like when Kennedy was shot.... He could remember every moment of the day... where he was what he was doing everything... and that he hoped I would never have such a day....
I used to hear people talk about where they were and what they were doing when Kenedy was shot but i could never relate - I guess I was too young at the time.

The events that took place on 9/11 are "The defining event for this Generation"
For month after it happened there were times when i would close my eye and could still see the images that were on tv for days and weeks afterwards...
I would never have imagined that something so far removed from where my situation could have such a dramatic impact on me...
Old 09-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I was in the Pentagon...

2006 MCS HB/W / LSD / Sport / Convenience
Custom Stripes and Trim
JCW Exhaust, Alta CAI, 15% pulley
H-Sport Springs and Rear Sway Bar
Rota Subzero's, Aero Grill
Alta/IPF driving lights
"Oogah" Horn (using toggle bank)
Old 09-12-2008, 08:53 AM
μ

I was standing Shutdown Reactor Operator on the USS Oklahoma City(SSN-723). Thought it was all one of my bud's tasteless jokes until we heard about the second plane. Definitely the worst day I've ever had in the Navy.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:59 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin MINI View Post
I was in the Pentagon...
Wow-e!!!!! that's friggin crazy! Must have been surreal to be in there!

I was unemployed at the time and was woken up by my mom at like 6:30 in the morning with her saying "we are under attack!" I bounced outta bed and went to see what my crazy mother was talking about, thinking it had something to do with her birthday which is 9/11....I was wrong....needless to say it was a very different birthday for my mom that year.....
Old 09-12-2008, 09:29 AM
µ Retired

some very interesting stories. I knew we were under a heightened level of security, but I honestly never thought how much of a nightmare it must have been for people like Ash that were in active duty at that time. Also for Sin...actually being in the Pentagon, that is just unreal on so many levels.