motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs Troubleshooting your car's woes.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs

Old 02-05-2013, 02:02 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to justintime Send a message via Yahoo to justintime

Redline shock proof oil has never let me down

omgzz
Old 02-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I think you guys need to check out the spec's on the oem stuff.........

http://www.cepsa.com/stfls/CepsaCom/...20MTF%2094.pdf
Old 02-05-2013, 04:44 PM
μ

I'm actually not against oem for the mini, but redline is pretty sweet

omgzz
Old 02-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I just found it way to thin. Made the car more "notchy" feeling. Not as smooth as the oem stuff. And I have a local shop that can get me any quantity I need if I bring my own container.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:41 PM
μ

I had gear put a hole in my case at TSW and all the fluid dumped out. After 45 laps they were still lubricated from the redline oil. pretty cool.

omgzz
Old 02-06-2013, 02:17 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Camaro Send a message via Yahoo to Camaro Send a message via Skype™ to Camaro

This is the proper Redline that won't be too thin it binds just as Justin has experienced it stays on the parts under the hardest abuse.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

The shock proof stuff is not suggested for synchro applications. If you want to use it, fine. But I would never suggest using a product that is not approved for that use.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:26 PM
μ

I would try mt90 first

I have used heavy shockproof in the mini for a while just cause I have so much of it, and my synchro are fine with 100k miles on the gearbox. But I wouldn't go heavy if you don't need too

omgzz
Old 02-06-2013, 04:30 PM
μ

Forgot to add, motul makes good gear oil as well

omgzz
Old 02-07-2013, 01:05 AM
μ

I tried redline oils in my trans and diff and they both failed a blackstone oil analysis after just 4 track days. Some of this can be chalked up to the fact that the miata transmission and diff run temps north of 250-300 degrees in the hot socal sun which stresses the sheer qualities of gl4-gl5 redline... however I have enough friends that have had the same experience with redline in other cars where I can say with confidence that you should avoid it.

I have now switched over to amsoil products as their sheer strength is significantly improved over redline. I'm running mobil 1 10/30 full synth in the crank case but even that is testing out significantly thinner than the stated viscosity. The blackstone UOA testing I've done suggests that the Mobil 1 holds up well to sheer but it is rather inconsistent with their labeled viscosity. Blackstone has confirmed that the oil is good for about 5-7 track hours before it starts to breakdown and become shit.

So... what does all the mumbo jumbo above mean... It means that the only way for you to have any idea what you need to do to keep your motor healthy on track is to spend the money to do oil analysis. Any speculation without the proper testing is just that... speculation. Blackstone testing is rather cheap in the grand scheme of things and I pull a sample from ever other oil change. I know that from my car (which only see's track use) that essentially every 6-8 hours on the motor oil and 10-15 hours on the trans/diff fluid is the limits I can hit. FWIW with regards to engine wear 10 track hours equals about 5k street miles.

On brake fluid I fully flush and re-bleed every 3 track days. That being said my miata is 650 lbs lighter than my mini and I almost never have any issues with brake fade on the miata. With the r53 that I had I'd get a soft pedal in at least 1 session each day. I can usually gauge how beat the brake fluid is going to get by how many times I totally overheat the fluid.

As far as other wear items... you have to pull the parts from the car to check... however if you're doing regular track days you should have a checklist that you run through. I literally take the brakes fully apart after each track day to inspect the calipers, pads, pistons, rotors and slider pin grease. I have seen plenty of incidents on track with failed brakes... Don't be that guy.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:17 AM
μ

I wouldn't run trans oil more than 2 track days, like I said people dont realize that it needs to be changed pretty much every hard trackday/race. also if you have a tranny running hot like above, a heavy oil like redline is not advisable.

omgzz
Old 02-07-2013, 01:28 AM
μ

Also not disagreeing with getting an analysis, but gotta start somewhere.

omgzz
Old 02-07-2013, 01:30 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Camaro Send a message via Yahoo to Camaro Send a message via Skype™ to Camaro

Having a diff cooler could help with temps and break-down from the heat Erik.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:17 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintime View Post
I wouldn't run trans oil more than 2 track days, like I said people dont realize that it needs to be changed pretty much every hard trackday/race. also if you have a tranny running hot like above, a heavy oil like redline is not advisable.
Redline actually tests too thin for high stress use. The miata is especially hard on gear oils. Amsoil SVG is far thicker and more up to the task. Honestly I'm not trying to be an asshat but I wouldn't put redline in anything I own. It's sorta comical how bad it fails oil analysis after taken out of the car. It's not even in the ball park of where it needs to be for a trans that requires gl4.

Imo it could possibly be argued that redline is ok if you combine it with GM syncho modifier. I've also had good luck with ford motorcraft GL-4 manual trans oil. The Motorcraft stuff makes the MT's in all 3 of the cars I've run it in shift like butter... but even then, this oil did not pass UOA.

Regarding oil... the only way to know is oil analysis. From the testing that I have commissioned it appears that a quality modern full synthetic actually lasts longer than you're suggesting.

To the OP and all of those reading I implore you to use a laboratory to do your tests. I use http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ for mine because I have a rapport with them and I have a history of analysis built up that they can reference. Each engine, ambient conditions and each metal compound is different. None of us are smart enough to make any sort of determinations unless we have an oil analysis lab of our own. I certainly don't.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:22 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro View Post
Having a diff cooler could help with temps and break-down from the heat Erik.
For sure... The thing is that the spec miata guys aren't allowed to run diff/trans coolers and they run a full season on an oem quality 6 speed rebuild if not more. This essentially equates to 100 track hours. My car only sees about 25 track hours per year (that's a shit load for an amateur) so I should be able to get 4 years or so out of a fresh 6 speed rebuild. Good enough for me... especially considering a fresh rebuild is 750 bucks. For me that means that the 350-400 dollar trans cooler just doesn't make fiscal sense.

That being said... Next year, once this car has 50% more whp than it it does now... I think that math might change.

Tags
autocross, built, r53, track