motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Garage The place to show off your pride and joy. Show us your motoring masterpiece herein!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Garage

Old 04-30-2014, 04:28 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Default Brian's Royal Gray R53

Purchased in August of 2013 from the second owner with 102k miles on it here is my 2006 6 speed Cooper S.

Click the image to open in full size.

The plan for this car was to take over daily duties from my 92x. I was tired of beating it up on errands for work and road trips. That being said, it was supposed to stay stock and I would just "upgrade" things when maintenance was needed.

That plan was kind of ruined when I sold an old Passat and took partial payment in the form of a set of Megan Racing coilovers for the Mini. They went in very easily and I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of them.

Well seeing as how I now had some suspension in the car I might as well make it look a bit more presentable. I had an old set of BBS RS033's laying around from an old mk1. I thought to myself why not; they are 4x100. Big tires were needed though, since they were 15's and 8 inches wide.

Don't mind the IG filter please. lol

The offsets on them aren't very Mini friendly (about an et-4) but I made due with what I had. I liked it still. Tires are 205/55-15 Yokohama S Drives.

From the first night I put them on.

Dialed in a bit.

During this time I also pulled the back seats from the car. At times I need to haul a decent amount of equipment for my job and I found myself always folding down the back seats anyway. A friend of mine builds seat deletes for VW's as a side business so he offered to build one for the Mini. I think it came out great.

Then the cold weather came. Found a set of OEM steelies on Craigslist for $60 and got some cheapie snows for it. Winter mode engaged.

Fast forward to nowish. I made another Craigslist find for some new wheels. 16's for this season. $150 e38 Style 5's. Dropped them off with the machine shop for a fill and redrill along with some other surprises and powdercoat.

I also decided to DIY a subframe removal for new balljoints, CAB's, inner and outer tie rods and ends, PS line repair kit, new DSS axles, wheel bearings and a steering repair kit. Boy was this fun.

While I was getting all of this done I found out that my Style 5's wouldn't be ready in time for my trip to SOWO like we planned on. So i scrambled to find an interim set that i could make work with the 215/45-16 Falken Azenis that i had already acquired. I sourced a set of 16x8 and 16x9 Porsche Design 90's for a good price and ordered a set of easy to obtain adapters. However they are only 20mm thick all around I am worried about inner clearances. I'll find out if they fit when the adapters arrive in a day or two and the wheels com back from powdercoat. Here is a shot of they looked when I picked them up.

They are being powdercoated silver. Once they are done and hopefully clear everything I will dial the car in by the weekend with the use of some adjustable rear control arms and lowering the coils a bit. I am also waiting on a Ireland Engineering catback to arrive and to install my 15% reduction pulley. Needless to say I am scrambling a bit last minute here before I make a 3000+ mile trek south and back. Wish me luck!

Ivy League East
Old 04-30-2014, 04:50 PM
μ

Nice! I once ran the exact same set of D90's on an R53 and liked the look. I still have my adapters sitting around if you're interested.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:13 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Nice! I once ran the exact same set of D90's on an R53 and liked the look. I still have my adapters sitting around if you're interested.
Thanks! I just sent you a PM.

Ivy League East
Old 04-30-2014, 06:55 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I see you were rocking that vanilla pride, Me To

sweet r53!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:28 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Good stuff man! Those Style 5's will look good! Couldnt find a cheap set of those to save my life.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:21 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole9953 View Post
I see you were rocking that vanilla pride, Me To

sweet r53!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyr53 View Post
Good stuff man! Those Style 5's will look good! Couldnt find a cheap set of those to save my life.
Thanks guys!

So the D90's are back from powder. I test fitted the rears without tires. The inner barrel clears the trailing arm by the thickness of a business card using the 20mm adapter. So a 9 16x9 et 32 JUST clears it. I may stack a 3mm spacer behind the adapter to be safe but that in itself seems a but sketchy as well. I have done worse in my past though. Haha.

Anyway, so what remains to be seen is the clearance to the inner fenderwell in the rear and the coilover in the front with the tires mounted. I had them put on a couple hours ago and i plan to test fit after work.

They are 215/45-16 Falken Azenis. The fronts fit nicely and rears have a very slight stretch. Plenty of sidewall on these things though. I think they look great.

Front

Rear

Front Profile

Ivy League East
Old 05-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Interesting to know. I almost bought this really cool pair of work wheels that were 4x100 17x9 +35. Maybe I should have bought them.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:42 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Wheels are on! The ride height need to be dialed in still (lowered) but I think the wheels suit the car well. The fronts seem to fit well with enough clearance both inside and out. The rears are rubbing the inner fender liner at the moment though. All of this may get worse when I lower it more. I will find out in a few hours. I am going to throw a 3mm spacer behind the adapter on the rears and see if it gives me the little bit that i need.

Ivy League East
Old 05-02-2014, 03:32 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

That rsd is

Instagram: @spencerbarr
Old 05-02-2014, 09:45 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Clean car man; d90's really fit minis well imho
Old 05-03-2014, 12:14 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I feel it. Looks great can't wait for more lowz
Old 05-04-2014, 12:17 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Car is lowered and aligned. Clearance in the rear with the 9's and the 215's is tight but isn't rubbing. These wheels have grown on me. I think they fit the car very well. Just waiting on centercaps now.

More photos to come soon.

Ivy League East
Old 05-04-2014, 04:40 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Old 05-05-2014, 12:09 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Konstantinos

Damn man. This is one of the best first posts I've seen yet!
Old 05-05-2014, 03:11 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Thanks for all of the positive feedback guys. I'm not sure if I have mentioned this but I have been scrambling the past couple of weeks bc I am taking the car on a road trip south. I'll be leaving this Friday from Long Island to head down to Florida.

The car has been to Virginia several times already but this full stretch on the east coast will be it's longest trip yet. Hopefully everything goes as planned!

Ivy League East