motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Trees & Twisties Canyon carving, touge, tarmac rally... whatever you call it, this is the place to discuss it.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > Trees & Twisties

Old 03-02-2007, 09:13 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to justintime Send a message via Yahoo to justintime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
95% of tight turn issues are driving skill. I know that after learning about my lack of knowledge concerning tight turns on the auto-x. Despite having a pretty good suspension set up i was pushing through the U-turns. After having someone explain to me the braking and accelerating procedure of such tight turns, i had no problems..

100% agree like I said I have no problem with the tight stuff. its the long fast sweepers I can feel the limits of the car. I would like to fix that. naturally im sure putting the rear sway at maybe the middle setting would help alot but I love how it handles through the tight stuff right now.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:14 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintime View Post
100% agree
What problems are you having in the turns? Are you pushing or is the rear coming around?

Again, do you have brake upgrades? If you can get on the brakes late but still slow down enough for the tight turns, it will do WONDERS. Brakes are my next "handling" upgrade

Check out this thread....this is when i went to an auto-x and thought my problems in tight turns were setup oriented. There is lots of good info in this thread: http://www.motoringunderground.com/f...ght=understeer
Old 03-02-2007, 09:19 PM
μ

well, the tight stuff I really dont have a problem with.. I wouldnt mind having the car alittle more planted around the corners but right now the tight stuff feels really good. I had the car set up for my likings in autocross.. but theres some faster stuff in the twisties than in autocross and the car doesnt handle as well at fast speeds.I would like it to be alittle more planted above 60 with about the same handling at 15-55 brake pads/rotors are what im gonna do next with the brakes. just out of curiosity how much does brake fluid help??? and what does everyone use?
Old 03-02-2007, 09:37 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to hollis3

Quote:
and thanks alot for this! very insightful. also, what is the ireland engeneering website? Ive looked but cant find it.. I was looking at the NON-adjustable front camber plates for price issues.. but I lost all my bookmarks

there are some dangerous bookmarks above - the yellow pages... here is ireland: http://www.motoringunderground.com/y...ink.php?id=425
Old 03-02-2007, 10:02 PM
μ

when I wach the tarmac rally racing videos thats how I want my car to handle. not much body roll. great in the corners and at highwpeed handling.

here is what I was thinking.. what do yall think

ireland fixed camber plates
tsw engine dampner
koni yellows
(and then what?)
the alignment Ill do after everything
Old 03-03-2007, 01:18 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

I have some used koni yellows if you want them
Old 03-03-2007, 05:57 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to RFIbanez

Quote:
it feels alittle unstable on the long fast sweepers... tight turns its a killer.. I would also still like to take alittle more understeer away without having to left foot brake, or scandanavian flick that would be niceee. but I want it alittle more stable at highspeeds too
I suck at left foot braking so I never do it, when I find myself in understeer situations I instinctively do a lil Scandinavian flick...with my set up (22mm solid rear sway bar and stiffer rear springs) the back end could come out very easily so I try to not cause too much oversteer if I can help it. I'd much rather have some understeer as opposed to oversteer at the limit.

With the proper alignment settings you should be more stable in the long sweepers.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:13 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Quote:
when I wach the tarmac rally racing videos thats how I want my car to handle. not much body roll. great in the corners and at highwpeed handling.

here is what I was thinking.. what do yall think

ireland fixed camber plates
tsw engine dampner
koni yellows
(and then what?)
the alignment Ill do after everything
Hm... You seriously underestimate the power of a solid alignment. Especially considering the medium-speed stability problems, none of that will help you out more than the right alignment.

My advice is to get the camber plates and lower control arms first. These two parts, combined with the toe adjustment all cars already have, will net you the biggest gains in exit speed and stability.

Koni's might help with stability, but I think you'll experience that more at the track with that type of shock (twin-tube). If you want better stability in the canyons, I'd probably lean towards the Bilstein SP's, moreso. I have PSS9's, and I've driven canyons with some pretty broken pavement with the stock suspension and the Bilsteins, and I definitely felt much more confident and safe on the Bilsteins than on the stock twin-tubes.

Engine damper will help you feel a little more connected to the car, but I'm gonna upgrade the engine and gearbox bushings before I resort to a bolt-on engine damper. It just seems like a better idea to me, but it's up to you.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:17 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to RFIbanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDiaz View Post
Hm... You seriously underestimate the power of a solid alignment. Especially considering the medium-speed stability problems, none of that will help you out more than the right alignment.

My advice is to get the camber plates and lower control arms first. These two parts, combined with the toe adjustment all cars already have, will net you the biggest gains in exit speed and stability.

Engine damper will help you feel a little more connected to the car, but I'm gonna upgrade the engine and gearbox bushings before I resort to a bolt-on engine damper. It just seems like a better idea to me, but it's up to you.
True, I've driven iDiaz's MCS in the canyons and it handles superbly. What a difference an alignment makes! My car is pretty unstable right now because I have yet to get a proper alignment and I never adjusted my front camber

I use an engine damper I think its a good bolt on mod to help you feel connected with the car and to help smooth things out. Plus it's easily reversible!
Old 03-03-2007, 09:33 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
I have some used koni yellows if you want them
how much

thanks everyone very very helpful. Im thinking I will try out the konis and front camber plates w/ an alignment and then work off of that I kinda would like to see how much play I can get with adjusting the rear control arms stock with the alignment before I invest in new ones.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:15 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Alignment is huge. Of course, to get a good alignment you might need to add some parts. Like front camber plates, and rear control arms. Since my car isn't lowered much (JCW suspension), my rear camber was fine with just the stock control arms. If you're lowered, you'll probably need control arms in the back to lose some camber.

If you're running lowering springs on the stock struts, get some new struts that are designed for lowering springs. It'll make a big difference. I always shake my head when I see cars that are slammed, but pogo-stick over the bumps because they're so under-damped. Usually it's a Honda, but I have seen a few MINIs do it too.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:34 AM
μ

Though I haven't personally tested them yet, a lot of people have had good results in helping high-speed stability problems by reinforcing the big bushings on the rear trailing arms w/ polyurethane inserts, such as those made by Powerflex. Those rear bushings flex a lot, so they can make the back end feel a little squirrely. I'd also suggest replacing the front control arm bushings, as a lot of people report that they've experienced much better feedback through the steering wheel with the Powerflex replacements.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:29 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownMINI View Post
Alignment is huge. Of course, to get a good alignment you might need to add some parts. Like front camber plates, and rear control arms. Since my car isn't lowered much (JCW suspension), my rear camber was fine with just the stock control arms. If you're lowered, you'll probably need control arms in the back to lose some camber.

If you're running lowering springs on the stock struts, get some new struts that are designed for lowering springs. It'll make a big difference. I always shake my head when I see cars that are slammed, but pogo-stick over the bumps because they're so under-damped. Usually it's a Honda, but I have seen a few MINIs do it too.
the koni yellows will work with my koni lowering springs right? arnt they the shocks that come with the lowering springs in their little kit?

my car isnt slammed, only about an inch mabye alittle more.. I can tell the car has more negative camber in the back, not so much the front at all.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:31 AM
μ

Yeah, Koni Yellow and Bilstein SP are the two standalone dampers on the market that are designed for use with lowering springs.

The front is a MacPherson strut design, so it does not generate additional negative camber as it compresses. This sucks for handling, as you ride more and more on the outside of the tire as the body of the car rolls in a corner. The rears are multi-link, so they do generate camber as they compress, keeping the tire flat on the pavement even if there's any body roll.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:08 PM
μ

which offers you better performance? Ive drove a cooper s with the koni and didn't feel a huge difference but there was enough to make me want to trade shocks. do most people go koni or bilstein?