motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Chalk & Cones Autocross, what else?

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > Chalk & Cones

Old 06-22-2006, 07:24 PM
Retired

Default San Diego BMWCCA Autocross - November 4th

TIMES: gates open at 6:30, registration closes at 8:30.
FIRST COME FIRST SERVED. 80 car limit

The one day SD BMWCCA events have a history of filling up early. Plan on arriving before the 7 AM registration formally opens to get a number at the gate.

You must be a BMWCCA member ($40 and totally worth it for the Roundel magazine and the chapter newsletters)

Cost for one day is $45 per day.

CLASSING: the San Diego chapter has one MINI COOPER class, so all the MINIs are thrown into the mix against each other (supercharger or not).

See the main thread on NAM for the most current information

Justapooper

I'm not lurking. I'm controlling the action.

Last edited by Dave; 09-19-2006 at 10:44 PM..
Old 09-15-2006, 05:55 AM
OG Bitches

YEAH! 50 and a wake up.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:15 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaljnky
YEAH! 50 and a wake up.
HAHA.......he's starting already!!!!! Well being that this will be my next event as the October event coinsides with ALMS at Laguna Seca...I got some time to get some more mods......I gotta do better than last time!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2006, 04:10 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
YEAH! 50 and a wake up.
Look out Jinky! I should have new camber plates and Koni FSD's installed for this event (and my OEM runflats!!! )

Joe
Old 09-15-2006, 04:17 PM
Retired

As much as I love my FSD's (and they are fantastic around town), I don't think they are any kind of a +/- for autocross.

Those camber plates will help, and help decrease your tire wear. Makes me think you want to keep the run-flats.

BTW, by the October Hollywood park event, I'm going to be swapping out the stock springs on my FSD's for h-sport springs.

Justapooper

Old 09-15-2006, 04:52 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
As much as I love my FSD's (and they are fantastic around town), I don't think they are any kind of a +/- for autocross.

Those camber plates will help, and help decrease your tire wear. Makes me think you want to keep the run-flats.

BTW, by the October Hollywood park event, I'm going to be swapping out the stock springs on my FSD's for h-sport springs.
Yeah, from what I've read too, the FSD's performance should be about the same as the stock struts when auto-xing. Just trying to get the best of both worlds.

But the camber plates, can't wait to test those out! And as far as the runflats, this will probably be my last time on them . I figured since I've already worn the outside edge, I might as well use up some of the inside edge of the tires with the camber plates installed

Joe
Old 09-15-2006, 04:58 PM
OG Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by curv872
Look out Jinky! I should have new camber plates and Koni FSD's installed for this event (and my OEM runflats!!! )

Joe
Yep, I am looking to get some FSD's on also, but it won't happen by November. Tomorrow I will see if I can get my camber plates fixed as I wasn't able to use them to the full potential at the last event (accidently stripped one of the bolts head and wasn't able to loosen it up) So I was running with -1.8 camber. If I was able to drop it, I would have had -3 which is what the Hoosiers prefer.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:07 PM
Retired

Jerry: does egguinn have camber plates too?

Justapooper

Old 09-15-2006, 05:15 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Yep, I am looking to get some FSD's on also, but it won't happen by November. Tomorrow I will see if I can get my camber plates fixed as I wasn't able to use them to the full potential at the last event (accidently stripped one of the bolts head and wasn't able to loosen it up) So I was running with -1.8 camber. If I was able to drop it, I would have had -3 which is what the Hoosiers prefer.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought -3 is only possible with smaller diameter coil over springs. The stock springs as well as the H-sports will start to rub the fender past -2deg.

Joe
Old 09-15-2006, 05:24 PM
OG Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Jerry: does egguinn have camber plates too?
No, Egguinn only has springs. But, I just had it on an alignment machine at Steve's (I thought it was off) and because of the severe drop with H-Sports on the Cabrio the camber was about what I have on Angelina. Don't remmber the numbers exactly, so don't ask.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:27 PM
OG Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by curv872
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought -3 is only possible with smaller diameter coil over springs. The stock springs as well as the H-sports will start to rub the fender past -2deg.

Joe
Not sure, but Steve from Steve's Auto Clinic swears there shouldn't be a problem and I trust him. Plus I think Ireland actually claims that -3 should work with H-sports. But I would have to check that.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:18 PM
Retired

I'm sure I'll be going - I had fun my first time guys... (those 2 hour work shifts gotta go though)
Old 09-15-2006, 09:53 PM
OG Bitches

Joe, here is what Central Coast Coopers say about the Ireleand Camber plates on their website:

" New Product- Adjustable camber plates for the Mini Cooper. These allow well over 3 degrees of negative camber for the front suspension. These plates have sperical bearings encased in urethane to offer some cushioning. The bearings are replacable unlike other similar brands. These are for dual purpose car that are street driven but are also used for track days and autocross. You can add negative camber for the track and adjust it back for street driving. They do not require drilling any holes and your strut brace will still fit. The bearings are easily replacable. Ride height will be approximately same as with the factory bearing. These will work with factory type springs or 2.5" ID springs and adjustable coil over systems like the Bilstein PSS9. Factory diameter springs will not allow full camber adjustment as they will contact the inner fender at around 2 to 2.5 degrees camber. Priced per pair
Note: Based on customer input and testing we have made a design change that will allow 3 degrees of camber before the bolts contact the strut tower sheet metal."

I will check what springs I have tomorrow. I always get confused between H&R and H-sport.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Joe, here is what Central Coast Coopers say about the Ireleand Camber plates on their website:

" New Product- Adjustable camber plates for the Mini Cooper. These allow well over 3 degrees of negative camber for the front suspension. These plates have sperical bearings encased in urethane to offer some cushioning. The bearings are replacable unlike other similar brands. These are for dual purpose car that are street driven but are also used for track days and autocross. You can add negative camber for the track and adjust it back for street driving. They do not require drilling any holes and your strut brace will still fit. The bearings are easily replacable. Ride height will be approximately same as with the factory bearing. These will work with factory type springs or 2.5" ID springs and adjustable coil over systems like the Bilstein PSS9. Factory diameter springs will not allow full camber adjustment as they will contact the inner fender at around 2 to 2.5 degrees camber. Priced per pair
Note: Based on customer input and testing we have made a design change that will allow 3 degrees of camber before the bolts contact the strut tower sheet metal."

I will check what springs I have tomorrow. I always get confused between H&R and H-sport.
It is my understanding that H&R, H-Sport, OEM are considered factory type springs. 2.5" ID are coil over and allow you to achieve -3deg.

I ordered the Ireland Engineering plates as well.
Can't wait.

Joe
Old 09-21-2006, 07:32 AM
μ

Hey Dave... add me to the list. And one of these times I'll make it up to LA.

Any interest in doing The Corvette Diner after the autocross, like at the beginning of September? With plenty more time to organize it, the parking situation may be a lot different. Or, if no one is really interested in that, we could try a different place. I'll keep my eyes open for someplace fun.