motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Trees & Twisties Canyon carving, touge, tarmac rally... whatever you call it, this is the place to discuss it.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > Trees & Twisties

Old 03-06-2007, 05:18 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintime View Post
which offers you better performance? Ive drove a cooper s with the koni and didn't feel a huge difference but there was enough to make me want to trade shocks. do most people go koni or bilstein?
Most people seem to go the Koni route, but it seems like that's just because they're adjustable for rebound. The Bilsteins are not adjustable, but of all companies, I would think Bilstein would have a good idea of what valving to use. Bilsteins are a monotube, gas-charged design, as opposed to the twin-tube (factory-style) dampers from Koni. Monotube gas-charged dampers generally provide a longer life, less chance of damper fade, and better control thanks to having larger valving.

Honestly though, most people in the MINI community that are pretty hardcore about driving just go straight to the coilover route. There are some reasonably affordable coilovers on the market, and that way, you get a damper that's matched to the spring rate that comes with the package.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:55 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to justintime Send a message via Yahoo to justintime

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDiaz View Post
Most people seem to go the Koni route, but it seems like that's just because they're adjustable for rebound. The Bilsteins are not adjustable, but of all companies, I would think Bilstein would have a good idea of what valving to use. Bilsteins are a monotube, gas-charged design, as opposed to the twin-tube (factory-style) dampers from Koni. Monotube gas-charged dampers generally provide a longer life, less chance of damper fade, and better control thanks to having larger valving.

Honestly though, most people in the MINI community that are pretty hardcore about driving just go straight to the coilover route. There are some reasonably affordable coilovers on the market, and that way, you get a damper that's matched to the spring rate that comes with the package.
well im 17 I make 7 an hour so it takes me about a month to rack up 1k. and I have a small budget set aside for suspension, the rest is for my head and turbo so if I go spend 1k on coilovers when I could probably get almost as good handling from shocks and my lowering springs Id rather do that over putting a dent in my savings for big power. suspension is fairly cheap, just coilovers are like the mountain of it all it seems. atleast for that amount I make
Old 03-06-2007, 05:57 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Quote:
well im 17 I make 7 an hour so it takes me about a month to rack up 1k. and I have a small budget set aside for suspension, the rest is for my head and turbo so if I go spend 1k on coilovers when I could probably get almost as good handling from shocks and my lowering springs Id rather do that over putting a dent in my savings for big power. suspension is fairly cheap, just coilovers are like the mountain of it all it seems. atleast for that amount I make
If you're serious about driving in a canyon, autocross, track, etc, and you have big plans for big power, I would probably invest in brakes and sticky tires before you drop the money on coilovers. All of that power is useless if you have to brake way earlier to make the corner.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Im in the same boat you are, Im 18 and I dont even have a steady job with school and everything. If your really into handling you can't bet coilovers, I had springs on my car and it just didnt cut it, I just saved up and bought my coilovers and absoulety love them. I know you have plans for big power so you may be wanting to save the money for however you plan to do that, but if you really want to destroy corners, coilovers are the way to go. Camber plates and controls arms are also good to give you complete controll over your alignment.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I recommend good tires and sway bars. That should hold you over 'til you can invest in a good suspension setup. Plus if you upgrade slowly you will see how the car will handle/react under various conditions and with the different setups.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:13 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorking View Post
I recommend good tires and sway bars. That should hold you over 'til you can invest in a good suspension setup. Plus if you upgrade slowly you will see how the car will handle/react under various conditions and with the different setups.

I have good tires and swaybars.. mabye I will just wait it out
Old 03-31-2007, 03:27 AM
μ

so I definatly got the uss on my car today and its amazing. I think I need to adjust my rear sway back to the middle setting though. but I kind of like the tailhappy feel around the canyons. my car started pushing alittle on the run during the day and it worried me but it was just due to a huge loss of pressure in my front right tire. not sure how it lost 30 pounds.. but I love it. now for the camberplates :]

omgzz
Old 04-05-2007, 09:55 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to MotoringSpeed

I need some killer camber plates too.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:58 PM
μ

my friend josh and I had alittle touge, not my favorite road but I wanted to test the uss.. and I must say the USS is amazingggg. his only mods are a 15% pully and exhaust

omgzz

Last edited by justintime; 04-15-2007 at 12:57 AM..
Old 04-14-2007, 10:18 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
my friend josh and I had alittle touge, not my favorite road but I wanted to test the uss.. and I must say the USS is amazingggg. his only mods are a 15% pully and exhaust

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...t=MVI_9465.flv

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...t=MVI_9466.flv
lol I<3 inexperienced drivers who can't stay in between the yellow lines If your car cant handle the turns...dont fix that by crossing the yellows
Old 04-15-2007, 12:46 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
lol I<3 inexperienced drivers who can't stay in between the yellow lines If your car cant handle the turns...dont fix that by crossing the yellows
ya, but they were never crossed on blind corners

omgzz
Old 04-15-2007, 12:47 AM
μ

Quote:
ya, but they were never crossed on blind corners
crossing yellow lines on any corners means that you couldnt handle taking the real turn
Old 04-15-2007, 12:57 AM
μ

Quote:
crossing yellow lines on any corners means that you couldnt handle taking the real turn
If you watch it again I (the camera car) only crossed the yellows on one turn (which is highly elevated above) my friend I had to have a discussion with on crossing them as often as he did however. and yes naturally I can go around that corner? but as fast as cutting in? nope. I entirely agree with you on crossing yellows but I make sure I know who is in the lane if I ever do it.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...tougemovie.flv

omgzz
Old 04-15-2007, 12:58 AM
μ

It's cool dude...i was just saying
Old 04-15-2007, 12:58 AM
μ

Quote:
It's cool dude...i was just saying