motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Garage The place to show off your pride and joy. Show us your motoring masterpiece herein!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Garage

Old 06-05-2018, 06:00 AM
μ

Neat!

Click the image to open in full size.
Tit + Bec = '09 AB JCW // '90 964 C2 // '15 R60 CCS // Australia
Old 06-10-2018, 03:59 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

As a supplemental update to last weekend.
Vacuum system is now working perfectly. Ends up that with the turbo you want to either alleviate the crankcase/PCV from the system or add a vacuum pump.
Since our engines are just fine with this turbo configuration and a simple crankcase vented to atmosphere, that was the fix.

With the crankcase in the mix I was getting 1-2 psi vacuum at idle, now without, 11-12 psi.

So configuration is as follows, fuel regulator only to the factory port.
The port I added connects to the vacuum manifold with MAP sensor, Brake servo, Boost/Vacuum gauge and BOV all attached to it.

First test drive was a great success, the car runs perfectly normal and everything functions exactly as it should, both in traffic, stop light to stop light and open hwy. For normal driving, except for a code related to the change, you'd never know I did anything to the car at all.

Only issue to be addressed is heat control related, I need to add a little more of the DEI Form-A-Sheild to the cowl and bonnet.
And for anyone interested, that stuff works stellar, while the metallic side gets just as hot as you'd expect, I can actually touch the back side of the piece that rests almost right against the downpipe and it's only warm to the touch.

Hopefully I'll have time Sun to work on that and some of the other items, but tuning should commence shortly, either way.

Just hope the old one dies a fiery death.
But I'm not bitter....
Old 06-13-2018, 09:15 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Sundays work, the heat situation is sorted, while the ceramic heat coating works well, it alone just isn't enough for the exhaust side of the turbo, so the addition of a turbo blanket, and a strip of Form-A-Shield under the cowl has taken care of the issue.
With that done, it was time for the next phase of testing, and made a mildly hard pull in first and hard shift into second, which brought up a few issues...

First being that this wastegate actuator just isn't enough, it's only a .75 bar which translates to 11 psi max, and while 11 psi breaks the tires loose at 5200 in 1st, even doubling it with a boost controller isn't going to give me as much flexibility as I'd like, so there's a 1.2 bar or 18 psi actuator on the way.

Second and larger issue is that I miscalculated the amount of engine movement under hard shifts, (even though I'm running Ireland upper and lower bushings along with a TSW top motor mount) and the shift from 1st to 2nd pulled the upper radiator hose loose. Since I do all my testing really close to the house, the car never got above 200, but of course this needs to be addressed, so there's a new, longer, flex hose on the way as well.

Maybe not ideal the ideal result, but this is what testing is all about, esp with the amount of custom fab involved in a project like this.
Some updated pics this weekend.

But I'm not bitter....
Old 06-13-2018, 09:15 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Sundays work, the heat situation is sorted, while the ceramic heat coating works well, it alone just isn't enough for the exhaust side of the turbo, so the addition of a turbo blanket, and a strip of Form-A-Shield under the cowl has taken care of the issue.
With that done, it was time for the next phase of testing, and made a mildly hard pull in first and hard shift into second, which brought up a few issues...

First being that this wastegate actuator just isn't enough, it's only a .75 bar which translates to 11 psi max, and while 11 psi breaks the tires loose at 5200 in 1st, even doubling it with a boost controller isn't going to give me as much flexibility as I'd like, so there's a 1.2 bar or 18 psi actuator on the way.

Second and larger issue is that I miscalculated the amount of engine movement under hard shifts, (even though I'm running Ireland upper and lower bushings along with a TSW top motor mount) and the shift from 1st to 2nd pulled the upper radiator hose loose. Since I do all my testing really close to the house, the car never got above 200, but of course this needs to be addressed, so there's a new, longer, flex hose on the way as well.

Maybe not the ideal result, but this is what testing is all about, esp with the amount of custom fab involved in a project like this.
Some updated pics this weekend.

But I'm not bitter....
Old 06-15-2018, 10:00 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD

Rocking that motor. Literally!