motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs Troubleshooting your car's woes.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs

Old 09-27-2017, 02:08 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default Boring the cylinders .. HOW LARGE ??

I saw an add for a "big Bore" kit for the r53 engine. WE have always been told the max over bore is .5mm !! Remember ? ANY gear head knows that 95% of the engine block out there can always take a deeper Bore than that. I like most , just blew it off.. why should I care, right ?

Well even though we only have a 1.6 Ltr 4 cylinder.. cubic inches ALL WAYS matters. So I took two r53 blocks to my Machine Shop for SONIC TESTING
to see what is true !! And I consulted two OLD guys that have been cheating the rules for eons. When the rules were always restrictive, and we just 'cheated' our way around those rules.. I call it American Ingenuity !! LOL

These are my results... these little blocks are a 'semi-siamese' block !! they are solid connected at the lower cylinder, and have a water passage on the top of the cylinder ( approx 2 inches) !! Freaking bullet proof !!

No.. How much metal can I remove on a cylinder wall thickness and still have a long strong engine life >?? Well on the standard Cylinder wall thickness of the two blocks I presented..
I can over bore to a 1.7 Ltr engine. If I get really testy, I can go as far as 1.75 Ltrs !!

Keep the stock Crankshaft.. and Rods,sonic test , bore it and rock !!

Thumper

THUMPER HEAD Nitrous Fed Methanol Injected Screaming Supercharger all BRG 06 MCS!! The fun begins at 4K in 6th

Tags
1.7 ltr, big bore, big pistons, thumper performance