motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Garage The place to show off your pride and joy. Show us your motoring masterpiece herein!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Garage

Old 11-15-2016, 08:12 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Everything is back together, and going through everything didn't gain me anything but peace of mind, I'm glad it wasn't anything difficult to do, and if nothing else confirms that everything is together and working correctly.

I'm seeing 17.8 psi at the gauge (haven't checked a data log yet to see what the map sensor is seeing) and it's steady and consistent.

Already sent an e-mail and the first stage of tuning should commence soon, but even as it is, the motor is really strong and smooth, and I'm sure the tune isn't even close considering all the changes.

Just hope the old one dies a fiery death.
But I'm not bitter....
Old 12-14-2016, 03:58 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

New update....
Well so much for confidence....
We got 2 tunes in and all signs pointed to another leak (vacuum) or bad MAP sensor.

Because of work and weather it took me almost 3 weeks to Finally get it sorted, but I found it and I couldn't be happier.

Ended up being the intercooler itself, it's got some leaks right where the rows meet the tank/ends, probably happened while it was packed away, and the last time I re-assembled everything it pinched those holes closed enough that it was barely noticeable. But after taking it back apart and a few WOT tuning pulls, it became very obvious.

Now the couldn't be happier part...
It's all back together and the boost is right at where I had originally hoped and thought, it should be, I'm peaking right at 19+ psi on my logs, and the car feels really strong.

Tuning has re-commenced, and with any luck, we'll get through it before it gets slippery around here, bought a propane heater and some tarps for the carport, it'll make the next few months work, mainly the W/M install, much easier.

Oh, and props to George my tuner with ByteTronik, he's been really patient and understanding with all these setbacks.

But I'm not bitter....

Last edited by BlwnAway; 12-14-2016 at 06:51 AM..
Old 12-23-2016, 02:55 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Pre-Holiday update to how things are progressing...

Car is running beautifully, pulls exceptionally hard under full boost (5700+ is giving me 19.5 psi at the MAP sensor according to my data logs.)
After a couple of tuning runs, I made a comment about how the power felt as if it was flattening out from 7000-7500 (7500 is the suggested max RPM for the 60mm pulley), but that I was totally expecting that with the stock Cam, so no big deal.(I wasn't complaining at all, just relaying information since this is a remote tune).

For those of you who don't remember or didn't know, I've been blessed with one of those ECU's that just doesn't like Cam changes of any kind. Previously we've spent months trying to get both an NS-2 and MegaMini Cam to work in my car without throwing misfire codes. Since at the time, the car was my DD, and the bottom of the motor was still stock, I finally just decided to stop trying, and stick with the stock Cam, and with the addition of the ACG, was actually really happy with the performance.

Well... that was then... This is now...

With everything else that I've done to this motor, not at least trying another Cam, just makes me feel like I've not given it my all.

Sooo, thanks to the ByteTronik team, they've agreed to put in the extra effort to let me try one more Cam.

After the holidays, on the way will be a 1320 spec'd CAT Cam, a new, properly degree'd ACG from Thmpr, and a set of 650cc injectors.

I've decided to just go with a second ACG so that I can have this current one stay with the stock Cam, and with my current configuration the 550 injectors that I have now, were going to be right at the top of their duty cycle anyway. (Right now they are running at 90% and the motor still wants more fuel)
So no more tuning for now, the car is running just fine and I'm driving it every chance I get. Weather permitting, I'll have everything installed and tuning will resume in about 3 weeks. At least if it doesn't work out, I'll feel better knowing I did everything I could, I just hated the feeling that I possibly hadn't.
Happy Holidays.

But I'm not bitter....
Old 12-26-2016, 07:37 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Keep us updated on the Cat Cam. That is the one I am considering over my current NS1. Glad to see the car running so well. Planning on bringing it to the dragon this year?

-Hayden
Old 12-26-2016, 09:38 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy11 View Post
Keep us updated on the Cat Cam. That is the one I am considering over my current NS1. Glad to see the car running so well. Planning on bringing it to the dragon this year?

-Hayden
Absolutely, it's been 3 years without it there, it's one of my to priorities.
As far as the Cam, will do, it's just a shame that I have the issues I do with Cams, esp if it doesn't work out, then it makes it impossible to give an actual true assessment, since it most likely will just be my car, but fingers crossed.
The MegaMini I had was excellent when it can to power, but I just couldn't WOT the Car in the upper RPM's without throwing a misfire code (basically the same with the NS2, the MegaMini just seemed to work better)

I'll let everyone know, in a couple of weeks, weather permitting.

But I'm not bitter....
Old 05-10-2018, 09:07 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Well, it's been about a year since my last update, so this will be a long one.
I was planning on having the new setup ready for MOTD this year but couldn't get done in time. So with that over and finally setting up a new photo sharing account, I figured it's time to do an update.

First some back story as to what and why:
So I had the car at MOTD last year and it was running pretty well considering it was right after the Cam change and we were just starting the tuning (unfortunately the weather was horrible and only a few people got to ride in it). The only real problem was an idle issue that had popped up, it was acting like a boost/vacuum leak, but I couldn't find anything wrong. And then a week later I also developed a bearing squeal and drop in boost. After a couple of weeks of trouble shooting ends up that all of the problems were internal with the Sprintex. After speaking with them I found out that this unit was one of the last original 1st gen units that was given to me free as a favor from the rep at that time, knowing that my original unit while leaking internally at the oil seal, was well out of warranty for millage and modifications.
So between that and the fact that the unit sat on a shelf in my basement for three years while I went through my motor rebuild, they were understandably reluctant to just "give" me a replacement gen II kit. (I was offered a discount though)
So I was left with 2 choices, spend X$ on the gen II replacement kit or (2x)X$ on a turbo conversion, which if anyone remembers, was the overall plan for the car anyway.
The Sprintex only ever was to be an interim, all be it upgrade, for my failed M45, until I was ready for the motor rebuild with the proper parts for a turbo conversion.
Well, then I find out that Chase is selling some of his parts from Buddy, to go with a more track orientated build, which changed my cost from (2x)X$ to (1.5x)X$ so no brainer, turbo it is.

So last Oct I picked up these parts from Chase:

Click the image to open in full size.

And Feb got this:

Garret GTX2867r gen II.

And then the real fun began, many 35-45 weekends on the carport assembling and fabricating parts. (No laughing and be kind, all I have is a bench top band saw, drill press and grinder, along with the bottom dollar harbor freight flux core welder)

While I was waiting on the turbo I was able to start on the downpipe and T/B adaptor:

Here's the downpipe and hot side of the turbo after ceramic coating:

I'll be the first to tell you the welds on the downpipe are dreadful and I'll be lucky if they last 2 months, but... I've picked up 2 new welders (a mig and AC/DC tig) and that will give me two months to practice on my welding with my scrap stainless steel pipe.
I was going to just mock it up and send it off, but I actually enjoyed doing it and decided to give it a shot, first time welding or not.

Next I removed all the plastic cowling/firewall, sold my JCW CAI and cut the ECU portion from a regular CAI. Then worked up new heat shielding (DEI form-a-shield) for the firewall, brake lines and module.

Moved the MAP sensor, replaced the hard plastic brake booster line and installed a vacuum manifold to take the place of the factory intake tube. (Yes I went overboard on the vacuum lines, but I wanted something that would clamp seal and also match the theme of the other lines I'm adding to for the turbo)

Cooper alternator and new dipstick tab mount:

Fabbed new W/P mount to be able to use the electric W/P from the old Sprintex kit:

Mocked up, then made a mount to relocate the P/S and Coolant reservoir. Plumbed and installed them along with the coolant and oil lines for the turbo:

Made a mount for the Nitrous and Fuel Pressure solenoid:

Fabbed up a new coil mount to relocate it for the wastegate actuator.

Installed the radiator and I/C, and finished the piping and hoses:

But... I screwed up, when I mocked up the radiator to have the necks welded on, I did it without the upper support bar in place, and now the top neck hits the W/P housing along with the fan touching the dipstick tube, when I tried to install the upper mount bar.
Found this out Tues before leaving for the Dragon, so that's where I am now.
I did however start the car, it fired up immediately and idled much better, with codes of course, but that's too be expected without any tuning changes at all.

So that's where I'm at, radiator is coming back out, neck will be cut off and mocked up properly and dipstick tube will be modified, so it'll just be a matter of waiting on my fab guy to weld on the new neck before I can get it reinstalled and finally done for first round of tuning.

Oh, and yes, I still plan on using the Nitrous, along with the new HFS-3 Aquamist system that I have sitting on a shelf right now. I'll go through all that as it progresses.

Sorry for the super long all-in-one post and thanks for reading.

But I'm not bitter....

Last edited by BlwnAway; 05-28-2018 at 04:29 AM..
Old 05-11-2018, 08:11 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Too bad about the radiator, but that's some nice fabrication going on there!
Old 05-11-2018, 09:16 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Yea, my own fault, with work I only had weekends and couldn't do much in the rain or snow because of the carport situation, that and my self imposed MOTD deadline got things a little rushed and it's just one of those small details that slipped through the cracks.

Having it fire and idle remarkably smooth with the old tune, plus only ending up with one simple to fix, minor leak, took a lot of the stress off of the project, so only having this to correct before it's ready to drive, is no big deal at all.

There's still plenty more to do, but all of that can be accomplished over time, while we're tuning.

But I'm not bitter....
Old 05-14-2018, 10:42 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Just a short update, got everything mocked up properly over the weekend and radiator should be back mid week, ready for install this coming weekend. That and the EGT gauge line will be run and connected to the new gauge and data logging software as well.
Plus new CAE "esq" short shifter is in the way from GP Garage in Italy.

Fingers Crossed, car will be in the road this coming weekend.

Once everything is checked over and tuning begins, the next big thing will be the Aquamist install, for the second round of tuning.

Honestly, besides the actual work time, the biggest hurdle is trying to figure out where to mount the nitrous modules and if I even have room for both of them. It's going to probably take some fancy brackets and more plumbing magic to get more than one to fit, but that's the final step and not a priority for a month or so yet.

Oh, Harbor Freight welder is gone, entry level "non-flux core" mig welder has replaced it, along with a small entry level plasma cutter. (Both are basically for body work on my next project, so didn't need much power) and new tig will be here in June (back ordered).

But I'm not bitter....
Old 05-15-2018, 06:34 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD

Thatsalottawork!

Coming along nicely though!
Old 05-25-2018, 09:56 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

So, last weekend Good, Not so good, Good, WooHoo

Good - Radiator came back from my fab guy, installed and everything fit properly, fired the car back up and all seemed well, but it was Sat night and storming so no test drive.

Not so good - Came out Sun morning to a small coolant leak, seems that my fab guy accidentally burned a pin hole in the core, so back out it came and off to the radiator shop.

Good - Back from the radiator shop, got off work an hour early last night, so everything went back in and filled. Came out this afternoon to no leaks, so I'll fire up the car this weekend, pressure test the system as well as bleeding and topping. All the other systems so far have been leak free (knock on simulated faux wood grain).

WooHoo - Shifter got here Tues.....

So, this weekend:
-Finish the EGT gauge install, plus cleaning up some of the under dash gauge wiring.
-Burp, bleed and check all the fluids.
-Update some tuning software
-Install the shifter
-Fab up some fire extinguisher mounts

Besides all that I still have to install the W/M system, figure out the nitrous controller mounting and plumbing, and install my new DT-BBK.
Besides this, the car needs a few non performance item's worked on, but none of that effects driving the car at all.

Fortunately all but the EGT gauge and software update, are things that can be done while we're doing the DD and pump gas tuning.

I'm really stoked to get the car on the road this weekend, and work today won't go fast enough.
New pics this weekend.

But I'm not bitter....
Old 05-28-2018, 02:11 AM
μ

The anticipation...
Old 05-30-2018, 09:12 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Unfortunately I only ended up with 1 day to work on the car this past weekend, so didn't get near as much done as I wanted, but the car is together, and out of the carport, starts and idles perfectly normal.

Only issue is a simple mistake on my part, I neglected to add the intake manifold vacuum into my external vacuum manifold, therefore not enough vacuum for MAP Sensor, BOV, and more importantly for now, the brake servo, so I was only able to drive a block and back.

At idle the cooling system is working perfectly, and it only took 1 Qt to top off. Idled for 20 min, up to 185 fan kicks in, thermostat opens, and right down to 165 .

Sorry, but only a couple of pics:

Here's why I keep the "good" packing foam...

This way the air is forced through either the Radiator or the I/C.

It's always satisfying when the inner fender wells go back in...

Fortunately adding the vacuum line shouldn't require any disassembly and be pretty easy, I will however have to wait a week or so for a piece of tuning hardware I need upgraded, but no big deal, still have those other jobs to finish, plus I want to form some shrouds and covers for additional air flow management under the hood.

Big outdoor project this coming weekend, so I'll just have to work on things when I can.

But I'm not bitter....

Last edited by BlwnAway; 05-30-2018 at 09:42 AM..
Old 06-02-2018, 04:02 PM
μ

That came together nicely!
Old 06-04-2018, 05:53 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

No new pics, but did get some time this weekend after all, had to tap a second vacuum source from the Intake Manifold to run only brake booster, isn't as good as OEM, but works just fine (just a slightly stiffer pedal)
Only thing to really deal with now is if the vacuum in the vacuum manifold is enough to let the MAP sensor and fuel regulator function properly, the factory vacuum connection is now running, fuel regulator, MAP sensor, crankcase and BOV, and after my test drive late last night the BOV is functioning perfectly. If I need to I'll tap another direct line to single out the fuel regulator, but so far seems good.

Tuning piece is on its way and hopefully I'll be able to take my first real drive (not just up and down the street) later this week.

But I'm not bitter....