motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs Troubleshooting your car's woes.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs

Old 05-19-2007, 05:00 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to xxTHIR13ENxx Send a message via MSN to xxTHIR13ENxx Send a message via Yahoo to xxTHIR13ENxx
Default Spark plugs?

Hey everybody... Just wanted to start this thread to get some ideas and opinions...

I've had the car for almost 5 years, and needed my first spark-plugs changed after about 50K miles... Then had them changed once more with the installation of the cylinder head (at 100K)...

At 110K, I took the car in for a check-engine thingy (turned out to be oil-change time, too) but they said that the spark-plugs were shot as well, so I had them replaced... (only 10K miles after their last change)... And now, at 116K, I'm thinking they're shot yet again! Could this be?? Because of the mods the engine is def. running harder, but 2 spark-plugs changes in less than 20,000 miles???

Well, if indeed this is true, what other choices to I have out there for the plugs only that will keep the car strong and last longer than stock plugs??

Thank you in advance,
Leo.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:28 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD

My MCS liked the Iridiums except they vibrated loose/free in the course of ~10K miles or less of use. Blasted one out of the head, switched back to the stock plugs after that until I have more time to maintain... I'm in commuter mode until school finishes in a few more weeks.

How do the plugs look when removed? Crispy or just used up?

Tried the basics - new plug wires & coil?

Any other mods aside from the cylinder head? One assumes so, but knowing so might help garner more responses.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:53 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to xxTHIR13ENxx Send a message via MSN to xxTHIR13ENxx Send a message via Yahoo to xxTHIR13ENxx

Hey man, thanks for the reply...

Engine mods are: (in order of installation)...

Air intake
Cat-back exhaust
Exhaust headers
Shrick camshaft + cylinder head (installed at the same time)...

I've also changed the wires for the Magnacor wires, but kept the stock plugs (this was about 6 months after I had the car; none of the mods above were installed by then)...

Also, if a certain plug is listed under "Cooper S (with mod. pulley) for colder temp." is it ok for me to install those in my non S (fully modded)?? Or should I just opt for the Iridium ones "made for" the non S?

For the non S Cooper (Iridium) or Cooper S "colder" Iridium.

I'm a rookie when it comes to spark-plugs, so please bare with me...

Thank you,
Leo.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:33 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Non S... The main reason for using a colder plug for a reduction pulley in an S, is to take heat out, that the increase in air flow creates. Just my 2cents.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:53 PM
μ

Yeah, what he said.

Done anything with the ECU?
Old 05-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewmon View Post
Yeah, what he said.

Done anything with the ECU?
Working double-time these past weeks to get it done this week now... Just asked Rally for the cable, hopefully he'll send it to me, and I've been speaking to Don about a custom MTH upgrade... Got a Dyno day on Saturday the 26th, and I want the car to be 110% at its best... That means a new ECU, and plugs, too... So I'm gonna go with the ones from my link previously.

Take care, and thank you all for the help(s).
Leo.

*Edit* but now I have to choose! I'm not good at choosing... Help me out: I got 2 from the MiniMania site; the non S Iridium or the non S "multi Gnd platinum" (they're about the same price, but Iridium is a little more)...

The thing that's pushing me is the picture on the site;
Iridium:

Click the image to open in full size.

multi Platinum:

Click the image to open in full size.

Which ones should I opt for?? And what's the difference, really? I mean, I'm just looking for the ones that will last longer with a modded engine non S car....

Thanks again,
Leo.

Last edited by xxTHIR13ENxx; 05-20-2007 at 11:01 PM..
Old 05-20-2007, 11:23 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Just so you know, from what I've heard, NGK is better than Denso with regards to staying put in the cylinder head. Not sure if it has a slightly different thread pitch or what, but better safe than sorry.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:38 PM
μ

Honestly, I think the ECU updates will help abate the eating of the plugs.

I'd opt to say running a new cam in the head led to changes in your duration/spark/etc. and the stock ECU setup is probably getting a bit nutty with what it thinks it needs to deliver/request voltage wise thus causing the plug abuse.

However, others with more knowledge of the MINI's motor can add more than I here. I've yet to do anything that major to my MCS.

I've read better things about NGK too, so I'd grab a set of those given the option.

The multi-ground style of plug you have in the second picture is supposed to help increase the life of plugs in motors requiring the electrode to be offset. Unless the new head changes things, I'd be apt to stick with traditional plug type as I do know the multi-ground plug can decrease performance in motors not requiring that type of tip (discovered that on one of my old Hondas).

You can find a ton 'o info and options on Sparkplugs.com - their prices and service are pretty good too. That's where I've bought my last couple of sets.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:03 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to battle cattle Send a message via MSN to battle cattle

Are you sure they needed to be changed??? You went to a stealership didnt you?
Old 05-21-2007, 02:13 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewmon View Post
Honestly, I think the ECU updates will help abate the eating of the plugs.

I'd opt to say running a new cam in the head led to changes in your duration/spark/etc. and the stock ECU setup is probably getting a bit nutty with what it thinks it needs to deliver/request voltage wise thus causing the plug abuse.

However, others with more knowledge of the MINI's motor can add more than I here. I've yet to do anything that major to my MCS.

I've read better things about NGK too, so I'd grab a set of those given the option.

The multi-ground style of plug you have in the second picture is supposed to help increase the life of plugs in motors requiring the electrode to be offset. Unless the new head changes things, I'd be apt to stick with traditional plug type as I do know the multi-ground plug can decrease performance in motors not requiring that type of tip (discovered that on one of my old Hondas).

You can find a ton 'o info and options on Sparkplugs.com - their prices and service are pretty good too. That's where I've bought my last couple of sets.
that is where I purchase my plugs...
Old 05-21-2007, 03:40 AM
μ

The stealership... That rocks.

Good point actually and without seeing what the old plugs look like, all of this banter may be for not.

Got any snaps of them there plugs?
Old 05-21-2007, 05:00 PM
μ

the ldg/dmh guys were talking all sorts of smack about non oem plugs at the dragon. To be fair I brought the convo up, but they were of the impression that you should stick with "stock" style plugs because the car works best with a certain kind of spark pattern or something.

I don't know if there is any truth in the matter, but because of this i went back to stock plugs from denso's and I'm probobly going to either go with the ngk irridiums or the jcw plugs next time.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:37 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Lucky13

I have never changed mine =)
102650 miles on it =)
Old 05-23-2007, 09:53 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
I have never changed mine =)
102650 miles on it =)
on oem plugs?

if so change them...
Old 05-23-2007, 11:38 PM
μ

Nah, just keep going and see if you can crack one off in the cylinder...

Definitely time to change @ 100K+!