motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Braking Clamping the binders.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Braking

Old 11-01-2007, 10:18 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally
Default The r56 brake situation...

So it's pretty commonly known that the new R56 MCS comes with the same front brakes that were called the JCW brakes for the r53. The R56 Coopers still come with smaller brakes that can fit 15's.

Are the Cooper brakes the same as they were on the r50? Was it necessary to add the larger brakes to the MCS....or did they just do it as a nice upgrade. If someone bought an r56 MCS could they possibly change brakes with an R56 MC owner in order to run 15s?
Old 11-01-2007, 10:38 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
So it's pretty commonly known that the new R56 MCS comes with the same front brakes that were called the JCW brakes for the r53. The R56 Coopers still come with smaller brakes that can fit 15's.

Are the Cooper brakes the same as they were on the r50? Was it necessary to add the larger brakes to the MCS....or did they just do it as a nice upgrade. If someone bought an r56 MCS could they possibly change brakes with an R56 MC owner in order to run 15s?
This raises another interesting question... do the late build r50's have m14 lugs? And for that matter to the r56 coopers have m14 lugs? (i'd bet they do)

I think in most cases brakes that are larger then the stock r50/r53 brakes are not necessary. I had to really beat on them to get fade to show up. Granted when it showed up it was nasty. Even if you needed more stopping power you could do so with pads, ss lines and fluid.

I'd bet the r56's have universal caliper mounting points and lug fitment. So the swap from mcs to mc brakes would be pretty straight forward.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:43 PM
μ

there is a thread on Mini2 where a guy has bought some r56 disks,pads and calipers and is fitting them to his r53 so getting the 295mm disks for $180 off ebay so I would think that you could put r50 brakes on the r56 with no problems
Old 11-01-2007, 11:01 PM
μ

heres the thread:
http://www.mini2.com/forum/wheels-ty...se-i-need.html
Old 11-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

all MINI's built after 7/06 I think got the 14mm bolts. Cabrio's, R56 MC and MCS. Further, the Cabrio's got the R56/JCW brakes after 11/06 or so.

I had 16" Volk TE37 on my JCW kit. I think a 15" of the same would have fit.

If someone with the larger brakes wanted to drop back to the MC or R53 stock brakes, they should also swap the rear pads to the same model app to maintain bias. The JCW kit comes with more aggressive rear pads to balance the mechanical advantage of the the larger front rotors.

I might be selling my JCW kit....if I can get a deal worked for some AP Racing brakes
Old 11-01-2007, 11:21 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGT View Post

If someone with the larger brakes wanted to drop back to the MC or R53 stock brakes, they should also swap the rear pads to the same model app to maintain bias. The JCW kit comes with more aggressive rear pads to balance the mechanical advantage of the the larger front rotors.
I assume the r56 got those same back pads.....those would definitely have to be changed too.....I'm sure it would be easy to find an MC owner that wanted MCS bigger brakes.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

well....maybe not the same, but a matched set, yes. should be easy to tell if there's a diff app between JCW and R56 on realoem.com
Old 11-01-2007, 11:30 PM
μ

the jcw pads are a different compound to the r56 and the r56 pads are about half the price of the jcw pads
Old 11-01-2007, 11:38 PM
μ

According to the new BMW ETK I have at work the R56 Cooper and Cooper S use DIFFERENT pads and rotors....the Cooper uses a 280mm disc and the Cooper S uses a 294mm disc. The JCW pad is a differnet number all together, prolly due to compond. The rear brakes are all the same except for the JCW which is again, for compond.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pobsey View Post
the jcw pads are a different compound to the r56 and the r56 pads are about half the price of the jcw pads
Lord Pobsey speaketh the truth. I just ordered the new JCW bling rotors and replacement pads for my R53 JCW fronts, and the JCW pads are indeed different and more pricey. Well, at least more pricey...
Old 03-09-2008, 10:49 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

fyi the r56 s can not take a 15 atleast not the ones that i tryed