motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Accelerating From engines to gearboxes--tuning the parts that make your car go.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Accelerating

Old 12-22-2011, 02:39 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
Do you have to buy them turn key ? I would of thought Cooper are rare in the USA compared to Cooper S

Is there loads of $$$ up for grabs ?

Never enough money to overcome your costs. But yes they are talking a fair bit of money in B-spec.
I don't think the Mini package is annouced yet but the Ford/mazda package is announced at roughly $2600 (springs, shocks, wheels, exhaust, ecu to delete traction control).
The Kia package was announced and it's $14,400 for the same stuff.

So far all the companies want you to start with Bran new cars so that ups the cost.

Rumor of race entry fee's of $6k for the grand-am races. The good news is the class will run with SCCA, NASA, and Grand-am and it will be available in "pro" with SCCA and Grand-Am.
The cars are all going to be SPEC'd out by Grand-Am to be 100% equal. And prize money should be very similar among them all. So the real choice in purchase of vehicle is reliability and cost of purchase. Since the Mazda/fords are going to have the junk transmission, and the Mini has the Peugeot engine... My vote is for the Honda Fit or Toyota Yaris. (I drove a Yaris... they are good!). Not sure I trust the Fiat yet and it's pretty pricey to purachase (same with the mini). The Chevy Sonic also looks cool but it's roots are a Daewoo soooo nuff said.

One day the Spec class I want will come though for Pro Racing .... Spec Miata's with Crate motor Chevy 350's in them.

As much as I enjoy racing soft slow cars on race tires what works great in Showroom Stock is that all the cars are good at different things. They run the same lap times but they all do things very differently so you can pass without having to force your way though. My issue with Spec miata and Spec racer ford and soon to be bspec. Is the cars are all going to be slow so they will be easy to drive and they all do the same thing so passing requires some pushing and shoving. My opinion is any time you have a close finish the cars are tooo easy to drive and you can't separate the men from the boys.
I want to see a Spec class where the cars are flat out suicidal and it's near impossible to have a perfect race. Like 500whp Miata's at 2100lbs with Open Diffs and 205 tires and BONE stock suspension. Now that's some racin!

Last edited by mrsideways; 12-22-2011 at 02:54 PM..
Old 12-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I like your way of thinking with your Spec class, loads of fun and action and good cross over off domestic & import sponsoship..........sounds like a winner.........get on with it
Old 12-22-2011, 02:52 PM
μ

Has someone got admin rights that can shunt this thread over to NAM??

This shit is ridiculous; it sounds like a bunch of middle schoolers trying to act tough to impress a girl...
Old 12-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

speaking of spec miata - that was what I was imagining this Bspec to be - high stakes spec miata. So a lot of tempers and tantrums.

LMAO @ thread tags
Old 12-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashboomstick View Post
This shit is ridiculousf
there's actually some really good info if you filter out the horse ass.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to AllBlack05S

Nah leave it open to U.S. engines between 300cid and 350cid that way I can show up with a 318 Mopar and win.
why do i have a feeling that's gonna make it into someone's sig...?

I have neither of these cars anymore. 2014 Jetta Hybrid, 2014 Countryman All4 S now.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsideways View Post
Never enough money to overcome your costs. But yes they are talking a fair bit of money in B-spec.
I don't think the Mini package is annouced yet but the Ford/mazda package is announced at roughly $2600 (springs, shocks, wheels, exhaust, ecu to delete traction control).

So far all the companies want you to start with Bran new cars so that ups the cost.

Rumor of race entry fee's of $6k for the grand-am races. The good news is the class will run with SCCA, NASA, and Grand-am and it will be available in "pro" with SCCA and Grand-Am.
The cars are all going to be SPEC'd out by Grand-Am to be 100% equal. And prize money should be very similar among them all. So the real choice in purchase of vehicle is reliability and cost of purchase. Since the Mazda/fords are going to have the junk transmission, and the Mini has the Peugeot engine... My vote is for the Honda Fit or Toyota Yaris. (I drove a Yaris... they are good!). Not sure I trust the Fiat yet and it's pretty pricey to purachase (same with the mini). The Chevy Sonic also looks cool but it's roots are a Daewoo soooo nuff said.

One day the Spec class I want will come though for Pro Racing .... Spec Miata's with Crate motor Chevy 350's in them.

As much as I enjoy racing soft slow cars on race tires what works great in Showroom Stock is that all the cars are good at different things. They run the same lap times but they all do things very differently so you can pass without having to force your way though. My issue with Spec miata and Spec racer ford and soon to be bspec. Is the cars are all going to be slow so they will be easy to drive and they all do the same thing so passing requires some pushing and shoving. My opinion is any time you have a close finish the cars are tooo easy to drive and you can't separate the men from the boys.
I want to see a Spec class where the cars are flat out suicidal and it's near impossible to have a perfect race. Like 500whp Miata's at 2100lbs with Open Diffs and 205 tires and BONE stock suspension. Now that's some racin!
Have very high hopes for Bspec!!! Ian you should definitely try and run this!!!
Old 12-22-2011, 03:06 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlack05S View Post
Nah leave it open to U.S. engines between 300cid and 350cid that way I can show up with a 318 Mopar and win.
To be honest. I was originally thinking sealed Crate motors, but who gives a crap with a 205 tire and an open diff you can cheat all you want on the motor you aint going faster. All your going to do is run out of rear tire before the race is over.

This get the thread back on topic.

The issue here is in a RWD car, Stupid amounts of TQ and having it way over powered it's still fun. Huge amount of wheel spin and TQ and a power band that is hard to manage SUCKS in a Fwd car. That's the whole reason Jan got away from the TVS project and went Rotrex. The TVS is neat as you could spin the tires at will in just about any gear, But you could also spin the tires Against your will in just about any gear. The Turbo is going to have much the same power delivery. The Rotrex comes on so smooth that it makes even 2nd gear usable on the track for even the biggest rookie.
None of that Buhwap buhwap buhwap crap you see in the ABF JCW attempting to make a lap at streets. On off on off on off the throttle. bout made me sick watching the video.

Last edited by mrsideways; 12-22-2011 at 04:11 PM..
Old 12-22-2011, 04:11 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Quote:

I had only heard chatter about this, but lost interest in it when I heard cooper only. I didn't realize they were this far along with the plans now though.

Quote:
Isn't this what kids in EK hatches do on canyon roads?
Old 12-22-2011, 04:21 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post

Isn't this what kids in EK hatches do on canyon roads?
Kids in Caynon roads convert their hatches to RWD, put big V-8's in em and compete with a sanctioning body in large scale races?
That's news to me.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:25 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Miata + V8 = Factory Five maybe?
Old 12-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
None of that Buhwap buhwap buhwap crap....
Personally I think that gets back to this --v Throw in driver styles too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by llabmik2 View Post
building a car to do what it should.

Last edited by goin440; 12-22-2011 at 04:34 PM..
Old 12-22-2011, 04:52 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to justintime Send a message via Yahoo to justintime

Quote:

I think its boring to have to pass without forcing yourself through a tight hole.I looovespec racing. Also if you don't have a close finish look for better competition haha. I will say if spec miata is the only spec racing your familiar with I can see why you would have that opinion. I won my first spec miata race before I even had driven cars much lol. They are very easy to drive relatively fast

omgzz

Last edited by justintime; 12-22-2011 at 05:02 PM..
Old 12-22-2011, 04:56 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I love tight holes. There for, spec racing too by default apparently
Old 12-22-2011, 05:04 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin440 View Post
I love tight holes.
Click the image to open in full size.

Tags
(.)(.), 12 internet dick inches, bench racing, compare schlong size, i need 2 ics, insane in the membrane, internet boy racer, nitro has a creepy voice, pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ sı pɐǝɹɥʇ sıɥʇ, pa loves cake farting, pai sucked of a horse, professional whining, rmw can't build legos, rmw makes shinny things., sinep elprup, sprintex is boss, sprintrex is a pos, tracks are for trains