motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Exhibit Hall A place to display your photography and art.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > The Exhibit Hall

Old 07-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Konstantinos

I thought this would be a very appropriate place to post this:

CameraSim helped me get better at photography, and we've been waiting for version 2.0 to come out for a while. Now, Jonathan Arnold has posted his project to KickStarter. I backed him because he helped me get better with version 1.0, so I hope version 2.0 will help me get even better. Here is his KickStarter post
Old 07-24-2012, 05:52 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD

Very cool.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:00 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD

I wasn't totally sure where to stick this, but since it has photography as a major theme it seemed sensible to plunk this story here.

Enjoy a five minute summary of this man's incredible journey, with his late wife, over 500,000 miles in a G-Wagen here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18910560

Click the image to open in full size.

Gunther Holtorf's 23-year road trip is a testimony to simplicity and takes an entirely unremarkable approach to exploring the world and humanity, which makes it entirely remarkable.

I would love to meet him, hear his stories, and see his images.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

amazing, i wish there was more
Old 08-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

http://1013mm.com/blog/2012/08/image...h-my-bmw-135i/

This will be a bit of an exciting post because in this post I will show you just how I edited a photo for a SSR Wheel ad. Below is the final ad that will be appearing in upcoming European Car magazine issues.

Here is the original image straight out of the camera with no strobes.

Next up I added 4 strobed layers. Shooting a dark car at night really sucks because you can’t really do much to get the color to pop. Keep in mind the car is dark blue.

Then I took out all the distracting elements in the photo mainly with the clone tool.

After that I took the image and lit it up a bit in photoshop.

And when you mess with the lighting in photoshop, you will notice that colors go all whack. So I had to correct all the colors afterward.

Then I fixed the windows because the lighting made them too “see through”.

I decided to add some color grading after that to give it more of a “night feel” with cooler tones. It’s easier to notice if you look at the ground.

Then to spice things up even more and make the image more dynamic and pop, I added some light streaks and effects. Notice that I took, what was in the original photo and complimented it.

After all that, I was left with this final image. Notice that I took out that distracting blob of light on the hood.

The overall hours took to create the final image was 10 hours. I hope this helps shed some light on my post-production process. Go out and take a look at a European Car magazine just to see how it looks on print.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:05 PM
μ

huh, never thought he'd lay it all out like that. most photographers keep their editing process pretty close to the chest
Old 08-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Konstantinos

Wow -- those steps are amazing. What's even more amazing is the fact that it all took 10 hours. I didn't think it took that much time to get a photo where you want it.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:50 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Seeing his step by steps always leave me wondering...

If you have to do that much post processing, why even bother taking the photo? Go grab a stock image of the car from Google Images, lower it, change the color, throw it on an ideal background, toss on whatever wheels you want and BOOM....you have a similar photo.

When you're changing that much about an image, you're basically just doing a photoshop rendering.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:55 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantinos View Post
I didn't think it took that much time to get a photo where you want it.
It doesn't. There's a camp of car photograhers that spend 3 hours setting up strobes, setting up tripods, and taking multiple exposures from the same angle. Then they work in photoshop for 7 more hours merging those exposures to come up with a properly lit, sharp image. But not everyone approaches it from that direction.

I know for our work, we generally just shoot the car for 20-45 minutes and edit each photo for about 10-20 minutes doing basic color correction and minor image clean up. It still returns professional level results. We can knock out a full set of 10-12 photos in 3-4 hours with the actual shoot included.

I can't imagine spending 10 hours on one photo. With 10 hours, I could do a 100% realistic, 100% Flawless (paint, lighting, fitment, etc all being perfect I mean) rendering of a car in illustrator.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
Seeing his step by steps always leave me wondering...

If you have to do that much post processing, why even bother taking the photo? Go grab a stock image of the car from Google Images, lower it, change the color, throw it on an ideal background, toss on whatever wheels you want and BOOM....you have a similar photo.

When you're changing that much about an image, you're basically just doing a photoshop rendering.
this
Old 08-10-2012, 09:07 PM
μ

Most of the time must have been spent setting up the strobes and blending them in photoshop. Everything else he did was some cloning, some dodging and burning, some levels adjustments and a color correction. That's no more (or less) than most of us do.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:22 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr View Post
Most of the time must have been spent setting up the strobes and blending them in photoshop. Everything else he did was some cloning, some dodging and burning, some levels adjustments and a color correction. That's no more (or less) than most of us do.
lol "some cloning" is putting it mildly. Obviously the background was cloned out, but the entire windshield and hood must have been recreated from basically scratch. They were most likely hand airbrushed rather than cloned, though.

I don't know about others, but that's far more than my usual photo steps.

Example of my steps and the result. Probably 30 minutes shooting a full set of photos, and 15 minutes editing this single photo.

1- Open the RAW file and play with the sliders for a few minutes to get a solid exposure and levels.

2- Color correct using "Color Balance" sliders

3- Overlay/Multiply layers as necessary (minor in this example)

4- Sharpen filter

5- Done

It doesn't have the "rendered" or "airbrushed" look, but it's still a clean crisp image fit for print. It's just an example, not one of my best shots by any means...

Old 08-10-2012, 09:37 PM
μ

I'm not saying what he did isn't amazing, because it's well beyond my capabilities. I can't even fathom how he did the windshields. I didn't really take them into consideration since it seems like such a simple change, but I bet it took a ton of effort. The end result is worth it though.

It's funny. If you just look at the difference between his single exposure and the blended exposure with the strobes, you can't tell that it made a huge improvement. But once everything is all said and done, it's the highlights provided by those strobes that put it on another level IMO.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:47 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr View Post
I can't even fathom how he did the windshields. I didn't really take them into consideration since it seems like such a simple change, but I bet it took a ton of effort.
I guess that's my point as well. Half the windshield is white in the picture, which means that it had to be fabricated from scratch. At that point you're venturing into photoshop rendering rather than basic photography techniques.

It's like this photo...majority of it was "rendered" with the airbrush tool and cloning. I didn't even need to own a Subaru to create the end result but it has less than 10 hours work in it probably

Before image:

http://www.pc-wallpapers.info/images...00-212127.jpeg

After:

Old 08-10-2012, 09:55 PM
μ

I guess. I'd still rather start with a photo I took.

Not to mention that it's his personal car, so that would make it mean even more