motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Lineup Bringing you the sexiest rides team has to offer...

Go Back   motoring|underground > motoring|underground Presents... > The Lineup

Old 07-21-2008, 01:48 AM
μ

Default Death of Hal... the fall of a giant killer.

First off, NO I'm sorrys, **** happens, 40k miles at 300% of what the car came with from the factory and what I have been able to do with this community is irreplaceable.

I can not thank this community enough for how much we were helped this weekend, Dan, Eric, Chris, Jan, Josie, and everyone else... THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

It's not what you think. The car over all is ok. It wasnt an accident.

When I was at the dragon I was concerned the car had been hurt. The last day the only gas they had was 87 octane. I only had 20 miles left, and had to get some. While I didnt boost the car knowing full well that's retarded in my case. There are just some hills and stuff that no matter how slow you go the car will boost a little, I didnt think it was enough to do anything. As soon as I could I got 93, however, by the time I got home I felt she wasnt running right. Obviously I was hoping for the best, maybe a little too optimistic.

This week end as I was about 20 miles outside of out destination I pulled into a gas station. As I rolled to a stop the car sounded a little funny, I thought maybe I lost a rocker, no biggie in the grand scheme of things. So I just shut her down and filled up.

When I went to start her back up the first time she didnt start, this happens sometimes with the huge injectors so no biggie. When she started up it was bad it sounded like there was some sort of sedated seal in my motor shaking a box of marbles.

It wasnt too loud at first and thought maybe clutch noise, or again rockers. (yeah optimistic )

About 15 yards said other wise. I shut her down before it got worse.

At this point I am thankful I am so close to Grassroots Garage. Thanks to Dan from Grassroots I was able to get a reputable tow company to come out and pic us up.

At this point I was thinking it was a rod bearing or the flywheel let go, or something. Got to Dan's shop, went to get food, and then Dan was kind enough to give us a place to crash as it was now pretty late and everyone else had left long ago.

The next day we were up bright and early to continue the dyno day festivities. What a great day, I am in awe of what these cars are doing now. Even "the three" (pulley, filter, exhaust) are making amazing power levels! I am blown away.

After everyone was taken care of as far as mods needed by the Grassroots Garage, Dan and I headed over and took a look at Hal. I knew where to start, cylinder #1. That tends to run the hottest, especially with the boost levels I run. I pulled the plug and it was covered with oil. While at that point I didnt really need to go any further. I pulled the other plugs just to see, they were ok. Dan proceeded to pull out his borescope and look down in #1. While there wasn't much to see, I did notice some scoring on the walls of the chamber.

As one final check to make sure it was what I thought we checked compression, sure enough Hal was flatlined.

I am a little sad, sad that my friend is gone. You see, the spirit that was Hal has left. The Motor that brought us the Wednesday build, the JCW killing 162 WHP Stock MINI is officially spent. A car that has been Unpossible under the most insane conditions has passed. Ever so quietly as we pulled into that gas station on friday night.

The good news is, obviously this car is mine... forever.

I already have some plans for what is next. The car will be re-birthed with a new name. The "era" of what has been is done. I have to admit, I am fairly excited. While the new look has been revealed, what I will do is still too far up in the air to say what I am going to do with the motor.

I can tell you, it's not going to be some thing like before, I am done with showing everyone what the MINI is capable of on the HP front as far as going BIG goes. It was an amazing experience, and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Like the Man she was named after, she taught me more than I could have ever asked for while sharing with me a world I would have never enjoyed other wise.

R.I.P. HAL 2004-----------------------------------------------------------------2008
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Bombardier; 07-21-2008 at 01:54 AM..
Old 07-21-2008, 01:57 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

That sucks Chris, but I know you will make him better than before. Although we haven't been around as long as you have in the MINI scene, it is truly amazing what affect these little cars have had on our lives. I look forward to the new era. The king is dead, long live the king

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

"It is better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't." Butthole surfers
Old 07-21-2008, 02:00 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I'm seriously gutted for you bro.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:02 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Hal was a inspiration for me in so many ways. Sad to see her go Cheers to Hal man
Old 07-21-2008, 02:03 AM
μ

Cant wait to see what you will do
Old 07-21-2008, 02:04 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Bummer brother.....losing something like that can be hard.

As always, though, you're outlook on the situation is astounding. Well chosen words. I look forward to the new era and which ever unpossibles you decide to break this time
Old 07-21-2008, 02:11 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Wow, then end of great run, but the beginning of a new adventure. Hal's thread was one of my favorites. I will miss reading about her, but can't wait to see what you have cooking....

Last edited by MiniDaMoocher; 07-21-2008 at 02:33 AM..
Old 07-21-2008, 02:26 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I loved Hal more than I will ever love Jenna....

I cant to see what comes of her
Old 07-21-2008, 02:26 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

rip hal, a truly amazing feat. glad to see you can take your loss so well.

motor on!
Old 07-21-2008, 02:33 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD

Whoa, bittersweet indeed - a storied past about to embark on a new future.

Hate to see HAL tank but trust the new adventures will be even better!
Old 07-21-2008, 02:34 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to kalbone

RIP HAL!
Old 07-21-2008, 02:38 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Send a message via MSN to Big Daddy

So sorry to hear about Hal, Chris. I truly feel your loss as only someone who has been through it really can. I'm sure you will resurrect him with style.

bd
Old 07-21-2008, 02:39 AM
μ

Thanks guys, I am so torn right now, Super excited, and yet, I am truly saddened.

It's strange, I think it's cause the motor was such a virgin, still very stock as far as the MAIN short block. Other than pistons, she was really untouched. It was all out side of the heart of what makes our minis so stout.

heh.... so weird how a car can effect one so much.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:41 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I feel aweful for you Chris but you had me scared for a minute...so in light of what you described, why are you making this sound like Hal's dead? I mean you didn't grenade anything so just stroke the block out and let's get rockn...I wanna see what a RMW stroker with twin charging can do...comeon...chear up and stop whining...let's get the pipe lit!!!
Msfitoy's Profile

Last edited by Msfitoy; 07-21-2008 at 02:48 AM..
Old 07-21-2008, 02:48 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

You've got a great outlook on things.