motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Safety & Race Preparation Roll cages, harnesses, seats, weight reduction, etc. Anything pertaining to taking your car to the highest level of performance.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Safety & Race Preparation

Old 07-19-2006, 11:50 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldaddy
forgive me if I overlooked this but what are the specs on this car; I read about the suspension mods, brakes, cage, etc but how about the engine, etc... what class does this car race in?
I'm not sure that Bob is ready to reveal much, but I can tell you that the engine would be perfectly streetable. There are lots of street MINIs that have more engine work than this beast!

The car will race in the US Touring Car Championship, which provides specs for each vehicle, instead of splitting it up into classes. Check it out at http://www.ustcc.com.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:53 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strom
Is that California Speedway?
Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strom
How did the car run (lap times, etc.)?
A few little quirks to be worked out, but all in all, it was a very successful test day. We got a lot of suspension-related stuff sorted out, so it should be able to shave off a few seconds on the next test.

I learned a lot of good stuff, too! I now know how to fully align a car for toe using some flat plates, two tape measures, and some string.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:03 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I guess that answers my question.........LOL

What is the santioning body for these races? I would like to notify the 2 folks who were told they couldn't use that tow hook because the tech folks at the track said it wasn't "good enough".
Old 07-20-2006, 10:14 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
I guess that answers my question.........LOL

What is the santioning body for these races? I would like to notify the 2 folks who were told they couldn't use that tow hook because the tech folks at the track said it wasn't "good enough".
NASA is the sanctioning body, but as it has not yet entered competition, it hasn't been subjected to any scrutineering by an official NASA scrutineer.

The rulebook can be found here: http://www.ustcc.com/ustcc_rulebook.html
Old 07-27-2006, 12:06 AM
μ

Send a message via Skype™ to CANYON MINI

Sorry I couldn't post till now. Just got back from vacation, we left early the next morning after the race.
I wanted to thank everyone for coming out to help support the race Minis first shake down race!
We gathered allot of valuable test data for tuning. We did have to load the car back on the trailer before the main flag race on Sunday. It seems parts of the motor are not yet "Bob rated". Tomorrow Steve will have a final diagnosis, but preliminary evidence points to a blower/supercharger failure. Special thanks to Ivan & Hollis, Ivan was the guy who made it out to the track & helped out both days! Hollis gets the long distance award for coming all the way from S.D. & his mad photo skills! Max Mini, Steve, Bruiser & (Hawg, nice shutter work too) you guys are all so cool to come out to watch a race in 110 degree+ heat. It was great seeing everyone!
Cheers, Bob
Old 07-27-2006, 12:22 AM
μ

Welcome back, Bob!
Old 07-27-2006, 02:50 PM
μ

Send a message via Skype™ to CANYON MINI

Thanks Ivan. It's great to be home. I hate living out of a suitcase & hotels. Seattle, B.C. & the Washington/Oregon coast is worth the hassle though. We saw it ALL, over 1600 miles on the rental car. By the way,who left the heater on while I was gone? It's Africa hot here!
Old 07-27-2006, 04:44 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANYON MINI
Thanks Ivan. It's great to be home. I hate living out of a suitcase & hotels. Seattle, B.C. & the Washington/Oregon coast is worth the hassle though. We saw it ALL, over 1600 miles on the rental car. By the way,who left the heater on while I was gone? It's Africa hot here!
Naw Africa is a dry heat, what we're experiancing is more South American!!! But no matter what it is friggin' HOT!!!!! welcome back Bob!!!!
Old 07-27-2006, 04:44 PM
μ

Quote:
Thanks Ivan. It's great to be home. I hate living out of a suitcase & hotels. Seattle, B.C. & the Washington/Oregon coast is worth the hassle though. We saw it ALL, over 1600 miles on the rental car.
I kind'a like hotels. You can make a mess, leave, and when you get back, it's magically clean again.

Quote:
By the way,who left the heater on while I was gone? It's Africa hot here!
Hahahah, man... you missed the worst of it! It was 110+ F in the valleys last weekend, and now we're actually cooling down. After 113F in Ontario, suddenly 95F feels downright cool.