motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Braking Clamping the binders.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Braking

Old 06-17-2010, 11:02 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

Default Which Brake upgrade

So after my first track school with the Mini, the front brakes are about gone. So, instead of standard replacements I was going to get something better, but I don't know what to do. Should I get the JCW kit, the TCE 6 piston, or the standard Wilwood?
Old 06-18-2010, 03:45 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

I run the Wilwood 11.75" kit and have had no problems with fade. I run their Poly-B compound for the track.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:05 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

Are the bp-10 the street pads? How does cold braking compare to stock? DinanS, I assume you have all the Dinan upgrades on your car, how do you like them?
Old 06-18-2010, 09:31 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Yes, the BP-10's are street pads. They still need more heat than stock brake pads do, so initial braking isn't as good as stock. After they get to temperature though, they are far better than the OEM brake pads.

The car doesn't have the full Dinan package, just stage one. I bought the car pre-owned and it already had the Dinan mods in (strut tower bar, CAI, exhaust, and a ECU tune). It felt pretty good when I first got it, but I added in a 15% pulley and JCW injectors/ECU flash. The previous owner, who I work with, liked the Dinan upgrades quite a bit and had no issues with warranty and the power bump was noticeable compared to stock.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:22 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

I run Ferrodo DS2500 pads in stock size rotoers in the front (slotted brembo rotors) with Valvoline hi temp. brake fluid (cheaper than the real good stuff). This setup runs great at the track, good stopping at cold temps and no fade at hot temps. Try this before you spend megabucks. All this setup needs is air to the front. I also removed the backing plates to increase air circulation and installed "speedbleeders" to quicken bleeding of the brakes, and the bronze bushings in the calipers.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:56 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

I was thinking of just doing upgraded pads, etc, and it is still an option. But for a little more money I could also get a little more bling or something to that effect. I'm more about performance, but looking good never hurt anything. Thats why I was wondering if it was worth the price. I would like to keep the good cold bite of the stock setup though.

DinanS, how do you like the suspension. I'm trying to get a solid upgrade plan together for the car and the Dinan suspension caught my attention.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:14 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to ColinGreene

R56 brakes FTW.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:56 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
I run Ferrodo DS2500 pads in stock size rotoers in the front (slotted brembo rotors) with Valvoline hi temp. brake fluid (cheaper than the real good stuff). This setup runs great at the track, good stopping at cold temps and no fade at hot temps. Try this before you spend megabucks. All this setup needs is air to the front. I also removed the backing plates to increase air circulation and installed "speedbleeders" to quicken bleeding of the brakes, and the bronze bushings in the calipers.
I have also used the Ferrodo DS 2500 pads and have been very happy with the results . I use them in conjunction with the Ireland Engineering big rotor conversion kit and doing all 4 corners ended up being about $ 1500 . I wanted more of a balance of increased brake performance from all 4 wheels rather than just upgrading the front. Yes , the fronts do most of the work but this setup seems to unbalance the car less when you really get on the binders hard.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:12 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

I looked at the IE setup and it sounds pretty good, especially with the option to do all four corners. Would the IE setup work with the Wilwood/TCE fronts?

I was also thinking about using EBC redstuff pads in the Wilwood calipers if I decide to go that route. Does anyone have experience with these compared to other pads mentioned?

With the R56 brakes being the same as the JCW, are there sources for this setup and is it less expensive then the JCW?
Old 06-21-2010, 09:29 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corse View Post
I was thinking of just doing upgraded pads, etc, and it is still an option. But for a little more money I could also get a little more bling or something to that effect. I'm more about performance, but looking good never hurt anything. Thats why I was wondering if it was worth the price. I would like to keep the good cold bite of the stock setup though.

DinanS, how do you like the suspension. I'm trying to get a solid upgrade plan together for the car and the Dinan suspension caught my attention.
You could just run the Ferodos that a few have suggested here first and see how things go and how you like them first. As for the cold bite issue, just run a less aggressive pad than the BP-10s and you'll be fine. Plus with the money you save, you could put them into tires instead.

I don't have the Dinan suspension nor would I recommend it to anyone as well. There are far better deals to be had on coilovers or spring/shock combos than anything Dinan has to offer for the MINI.

BTW, how many track days would you do? That would help decide what avenue you would go down as far as brake upgrades go. I intended to only do a rotor/pad and lines upgrade, but for a small increase in price and being able to run a wider rotor, I went with Wilwood. Plus when you are at the track every other weekend during the summer, making it easy to swap pads at the pits was a bonus with the Wilwoods.

If you do end up going with Wilwood, I would definitely recommend talking to Todd at TCE performance. He was really helpful when I was trying to decide what brake upgrade I wanted.

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/
Old 06-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

For stock calipers, Carbotech XP10 front XP8 rear is the way to go. But, they're expensive.

For a new caliper, go with a TCE / Wilwood package. The initial price is higher, but replacement pads are much cheaper than Carbotechs in the stock calipers.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:55 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

I have done one trackday this year and I hope to do a couple more. I was extremely easy on the brakes and I was getting some fade at the end of the day. I really want an easy and cheap solution to better brakes with stock like cold bite and decent track performance. I think with bigger rotors the track performance would improve with the better heat dissipation. I was thinking the TCE option gave the most flexibility since it used stock or plus sized rotors and the ability to use smaller wheels.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:18 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corse View Post
With the R56 brakes being the same as the JCW, are there sources for this setup and is it less expensive then the JCW?
I got mine from a guy I know that is a ST at a dealership, they were takeoffs with less than 10 miles on the car and cost $300 with pads and rotors. You just need to look around in the classifieds here, NAM, and Ebay.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

"It is better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't." Butthole surfers
Old 06-24-2010, 12:33 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Adam Send a message via Skype™ to Adam

I had a Wilwood package and after about 40,000 miles and I just had a brake line blow out (Sunday morning) trying to stop for Bambi (luckily missed it.) I figured hell, I'll just go back to stock and call it a day... what a damn nightmare. The aluminum mounting bracket caused the bolts touching them and the steel uprights to galvanically corrode so bad they were frozen... two days of drilling and hammering later I'm back to stock with stock pads and rotors and I'll never look back.

Moral of the story: be wary of BBKs on road cars unless you pay A LOT of attention to them. Also, change your lines every so often.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:35 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Interesting, I hadn't thought about the disimilar metals corroding.