motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Braking Clamping the binders.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Braking

Old 06-25-2010, 03:26 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

How much heavier are the R56 caliper & rotor than the R53?

Do they fit 16" wheels?

I have SSR Comp 16X7 (or 7.5) wheels (about 11 pounds/wheel) and the light weight of wheel/tire/brake is a key factor in cornering - better compliance with the road due to less inertia.

My car is 2003 so it is geared longer in lower gears. With the 16" wheel (with 215x45 tires) the gearing is shortened. Acceleration improved but engine runs a little faster in 6th gear. It is a good way of getting the lower gearing of the later transmission without the cost of a tranny change.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:39 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
How much heavier are the R56 caliper & rotor than the R53?

Do they fit 16" wheels?

I have SSR Comp 16X7 (or 7.5) wheels (about 11 pounds/wheel) and the light weight of wheel/tire/brake is a key factor in cornering - better compliance with the road due to less inertia.

My car is 2003 so it is geared longer in lower gears. With the 16" wheel (with 215x45 tires) the gearing is shortened. Acceleration improved but engine runs a little faster in 6th gear. It is a good way of getting the lower gearing of the later transmission without the cost of a tranny change.
Not sure what the weight difference is. We had 16 X 7 Konig Remebers and 16 X 6.5 Rota Slipstreams with them and they barely fit in the wheel. Stopping was definitely improved.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

"It is better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't." Butthole surfers
Old 06-25-2010, 07:49 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to ColinGreene

I have 16x7.5s they fit fine on my R56 brakes.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:33 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Send a message via AIM to Mini_Chan Send a message via MSN to Mini_Chan

I'm on the same boat as Corse, really leaning towards the r56 brakes, but I would really like the TCE/wilwood setup. But for the price of the wilwood, I can buy 4 r56 brake sets.

04 MCS IB/W, Bonnet Stripes, Premium, Sport, and Cold pkg, HK sound system
Added: Aero Kit, Angel Eye Turn Signals, Dinan CAI, Dinan 15% Pulley, Ian's V6 Mini Circuit, Invidia N1 Exhaust, JCW 380cc Injectors, JCW Carbon Fiber Dash Set, JCW Carbon Fiber Hood Scoop, JCW Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps, JCW Carbon Fiber Boot Handle, R56 Brakes, LOTF Engine Damper, MINI Auxiliary Input, MINI Cooper Armrest, RMW Tune, KW V2's and more to come
Old 06-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Remember to factor in brake pad replacement cost. R56 caliper pads are much more expensive than Willwood pads.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:16 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownMINI View Post
Remember to factor in brake pad replacement cost. R56 caliper pads are much more expensive than Willwood pads.
How much more? Are there hawk pads that fit the wilwood brakes?

Added: Aero Kit, Angel Eye Turn Signals, Dinan CAI, Dinan 15% Pulley, Ian's V6 Mini Circuit, Invidia N1 Exhaust, JCW 380cc Injectors, JCW Carbon Fiber Dash Set, JCW Carbon Fiber Hood Scoop, JCW Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps, JCW Carbon Fiber Boot Handle, R56 Brakes, LOTF Engine Damper, MINI Auxiliary Input, MINI Cooper Armrest, RMW Tune, KW V2's and more to come
Old 06-26-2010, 07:33 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to ColinGreene

Ive driven both, I dident like the way the wilwoods were so touchy. but for track driving they would work great, street driving i would keep the R56, I go thru a set of pads about once a year. really 120 a year is not so bad for decent pads. I havent replaced rotors yet.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:34 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

If I have r56 calipers, do I need to use r56 rotors? I'm trying to find some brembo cross drilled rotors, but i don't know if they will fit for the r56 calipers. If I get r56 rotors, I would need different lug nuts right?

Old 08-03-2010, 04:06 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Alpha Motoring

brembo gt328 bbk kit up front and i.e. rear bbk in the rear with ss lines and ate super blue fluid, great bite, could not have been happier!
Old 08-05-2010, 02:38 AM
μ

I've had three different setups:

Stock Rotors, Hawk Pads, ATE super blue and SS lines
Stoptech ST-40 BBK with BP-20's in the back SS lines all the way around with ATE super blue
Willwood 12" kit with same rear setup same fluid.

The stoptech was I'd say the best. It had the best fade resistance and the best pedal modulation. It is however way over sized for this car, the rotors weigh a ton and replacement/service is terribly expensive. Terrible wheel choice too.

The willwood was a great setup. Really easy pad changing. Good pad selection, excellent service and pricing through Todd at TCE. Fade resistance was very good, however pedal modulation was definitely not as good as the ST kit. Wheel selection was pretty good most all 17"s fit and certain 16"s like team dynamics and such will fit.

The stock setup was honestly fantastic. For autoX use and for pretty serious canyon style driving it will perform fantastic. Parts replacement cost is awesome... wheel selection just about unlimited. Even for track use you should be able to get most of a session out of a pad, line, fluid change.

Honestly a bbk on a mini is 90% bling. That being said I liked having one. It allowed me to do stupid fwd tricks on the track. Granted most of these tricks can be called bad habits by certain racing schools (trail braking etc). I find it pretty solid piece of mind that I could dig into my brakes time after time for 20-40 minutes straight with very little difference in pedal feel or performance. It was quite fun.

If I still had a mini and had it all over to do again I would rock a willwood 11" with the extra thick rotor or I'd run the AP racing setup for endurance racing style bling. However, if you're not actually doing track days with your car consistently, you are completely wasting your money. Oh and for the record, you don't need the rear rotor replacements and all that. Stick with the rear rotors and calipers, they work quite well even with the balance shift a bigger front rotor can create.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:28 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

It depends how often you are going to the track and doing other racing events. For me, the great pad choice and ease of changing them on the Wilwood kit is fantastic. With the 11.75" kit, I can run lightweight 15" wheels, which of course means my tires are cheaper. I can have all my wheels swapped over and change out the pads at the track before tech in ~20 minutes. This also means I can run very streetable pads (BP-10s) and not worry about dust while just putting around town.

Like Minimusprime said, for most people, a BBK is bling if it is just used for the street. Even the stock calipers with proper pads, fluid and good ducting will be more than enough at most tracks.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I had a Wilwood package and after about 40,000 miles and I just had a brake line blow out (Sunday morning) trying to stop for Bambi (luckily missed it.) I figured hell, I'll just go back to stock and call it a day... what a damn nightmare. The aluminum mounting bracket caused the bolts touching them and the steel uprights to galvanically corrode so bad they were frozen... two days of drilling and hammering later I'm back to stock with stock pads and rotors and I'll never look back.

Moral of the story: be wary of BBKs on road cars unless you pay A LOT of attention to them. Also, change your lines every so often.
shouldve put anti-seize on the bolts. sorry you had to deal with that..
Old 03-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
I've had three different setups:

Stock Rotors, Hawk Pads, ATE super blue and SS lines
Stoptech ST-40 BBK with BP-20's in the back SS lines all the way around with ATE super blue
Willwood 12" kit with same rear setup same fluid.

The stoptech was I'd say the best. It had the best fade resistance and the best pedal modulation. It is however way over sized for this car, the rotors weigh a ton and replacement/service is terribly expensive. Terrible wheel choice too.

The willwood was a great setup. Really easy pad changing. Good pad selection, excellent service and pricing through Todd at TCE. Fade resistance was very good, however pedal modulation was definitely not as good as the ST kit. Wheel selection was pretty good most all 17"s fit and certain 16"s like team dynamics and such will fit.

The stock setup was honestly fantastic. For autoX use and for pretty serious canyon style driving it will perform fantastic. Parts replacement cost is awesome... wheel selection just about unlimited. Even for track use you should be able to get most of a session out of a pad, line, fluid change.

Honestly a bbk on a mini is 90% bling. That being said I liked having one. It allowed me to do stupid fwd tricks on the track. Granted most of these tricks can be called bad habits by certain racing schools (trail braking etc). I find it pretty solid piece of mind that I could dig into my brakes time after time for 20-40 minutes straight with very little difference in pedal feel or performance. It was quite fun.

If I still had a mini and had it all over to do again I would rock a willwood 11" with the extra thick rotor or I'd run the AP racing setup for endurance racing style bling. However, if you're not actually doing track days with your car consistently, you are completely wasting your money. Oh and for the record, you don't need the rear rotor replacements and all that. Stick with the rear rotors and calipers, they work quite well even with the balance shift a bigger front rotor can create.
Im with you having had a similiar run of brake setups. I opted to sell my stoptechs and stick with the wilwoods i was running on my clubman. Im not gonna lie i miss the crazy look of the 328 ST40s behing my rims but the wilwoods have been good. although i sometimes have a sqeal on acceleration from the wilwoods which goes away in a minute or so. Calipers are torqued to spec and fresh pads and rotors... Dunno if anyone can help lemme know
Old 03-30-2011, 07:40 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

57027_10150091294373832_573393831_7160286_2465399_o.jpg

r56, jcw factory big brakes, with porterfield r4-s ftw, i've used this set for the whole race season of time attack, and also daily driving. wonderful stopping power, with great pedal feel, and they last... 50,000 put on them from driving, to racing...