motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Paddocks General automotive banter, covering any make and model.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Paddocks

Old 04-21-2011, 12:51 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Another way of looking at it is maybe they're looking to take Scion in a different direction. It's generally been mostly show, not much go. Maybe they felt the brand was too soft, and they want this to be a halo car to bring some serious performance cred to the brand.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:53 AM
μ

This car looks great. As for the Scion argument, you wouldn't believe how many elderly, yes elderly people I see rocking xB's and such around my area. I think that no matter what side of the Scion thing your on, this car will attract one thing, enthusiasts. Consider me anxious to see what the production version will look like and the sort of numbers attached to it.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:02 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion
Inspired by the AE86, the FR-S is built around the core goal of achieving "pure balance," which begins with the strategic placement of a flat 2.0-liter boxer engine in a front-engine, rear-wheel drive configuration. The engine's compact size and shape allows the FR-S' powertrain to be mounted lower and further back towards the rear, giving the car a lower center of gravity and a dynamically favorable front-to-rear weight ratio.

The FR-S' naturally-aspirated engine is innovative, being the first boxer to incorporate Toyota's D4-S injection system, which utilizes both direct and port injection, resulting in increased horsepower and torque throughout the entire powerband, without sacrificing MPG.

The flat-four can mate with either a six-speed manual or a six-speed automatic transmission. The manual offers quick and precise shifts with a short-throw, while the automatic transmission features aggressive, sporty shifts that are initiated by steering- wheel-mounted paddle shifters. Power is distributed effectively via a limited-slip differential.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:10 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Moxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDiaz View Post
Another way of looking at it is maybe they're looking to take Scion in a different direction. It's generally been mostly show, not much go. Maybe they felt the brand was too soft, and they want this to be a halo car to bring some serious performance cred to the brand.
That would certainly be a nice change of pace.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:34 AM
μ

I can't wait to see what the aftermarket does with this car! I'd seriously consider one one day.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:26 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to RFIbanez

I like it, and would consider one.

But will it ever be released?
Old 04-21-2011, 03:33 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to not-so-rednwhitecooper

Thats the thing, Scion attracts two large groups of people. First is 25 and under, might be their first car, if its a tC its probably a teenage girl. The second group is 50+. There is no middle ground for Scion.

Toyota used to be a company that built performance cars, now its anything but. They need a halo car of their own. What do they have now, an Avalon? Thats depressing.

Its a shame thats the only part of this concept thats going to make production is the silhouette.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:41 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to RFIbanez

The profits are in the boring economy cars for the masses. That's what Toyota is known for, the days of fun sporty cars from Toyota are gone. That's why they created the Scion brand.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:51 AM
μ

I'm the eternal pessimist but I really hope what Ivan is saying will come true. This would make a hell of a fun car in the segment from a trusted manufacturer.

However I agree with vegas_sirk, I'm sick of seeing concept cars. Show me a production car and get this thing moving already. I don't know if it's excitement and impatience that's getting under my skin or what but I want to see the real car already.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:55 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDiaz View Post
Hopefully this...
Old 04-22-2011, 04:18 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to not-so-rednwhitecooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFIbanez View Post
the days of fun sporty cars from Toyota are gone. That's why they created the Scion brand.
Say what?