motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Style Share your automotive styles, both inside and out.

Go Back   motoring|underground > Showoffs > Style

Old 09-26-2011, 01:21 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via MSN to Haggis Send a message via Skype™ to Haggis
Default Form / Function Discussion

meh, stance is pointless cant hoor it about as it ruins the handling, both mine have been on coilovers but i use race and track and have it set up like the challenge cars, it defeats me why anyone would want to drive slow
Old 09-26-2011, 02:02 AM
μ

That MINI is fantastic
Old 09-27-2011, 04:44 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
it defeats me why anyone would want to drive slow
It defeats me why anyone would care about the amount of time it takes them to get around a circular road in a car that looks ugly.

It defeats me why anyone would hold the performance of a sub-200hp FWD economy car in reverence as if it were paramount. It's a cute, slow, 1.6L car that handles decently well. Who cares if you don't modify it to be some kind of supposed race car?
Old 09-27-2011, 11:07 PM
µ Leadership

I like driving slow in my really fast car. I only drive fast in my really slow car. Tell me why that is? i havent figured it out
Old 09-27-2011, 11:15 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

^^^ You don't realize you're in the wrong car at the time? Ha Ha
Old 09-27-2011, 11:23 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Cuz the limits of a slow car is so approachable, you don't need much to get the wheels howling. You still look slow at the limit and you don't need to worry about wasting sticky tires or breaking race stiff suspension.

R53 JCW MINI COOPER S & S30 280Z
Old 09-28-2011, 12:51 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via MSN to Haggis Send a message via Skype™ to Haggis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
It defeats me why anyone would care about the amount of time it takes them to get around a circular road in a car that looks ugly.

It defeats me why anyone would hold the performance of a sub-200hp FWD economy car in reverence as if it were paramount. It's a cute, slow, 1.6L car that handles decently well. Who cares if you don't modify it to be some kind of supposed race car?
Why, Because Race Car

mine is a race car, thats why, and darling we dont have ovals, us Europeans know how to used corners in both directions i think its called a track, once le build is finished mine will neither be cute, slow or a 1.6, and performance is always paramount looks always come second

once you stance a mini it becomes totally useless, i can still take mine to work, shops and use it day to day and it even goes over speed bumps, and the best bit, tis on real coilovers too.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:54 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default Form / Function Discussion

For some reason driving a slow car to its max is so much more fun then driving a fast car that you will go to jail if got driving that fast.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:13 AM
μ

Quote:

once you stance a mini it becomes totally useless, i can still take mine to work, shops and use it day to day and it even goes over speed bumps, and the best bit, tis on real coilovers too.
I'd be thoroughly interested in hearing your explanation on how a stanced MINI could be termed "Useless".

Useless literally means having or being of no use.

My MINI is stanced. I use it to drive to the grocery store, I use it for photoshoots, I use it for fun on curvy roads, I use it to go surfing, I use it to carry my business products around, I use it to cruise the strip, I use it for roadtrips, I use it to pick up friends, etc. To label it "useless" would suggest that someone doesn't know what the word means.

I'm glad you're so proud of your accomplishment in building a race car, though. I just hope you take a second to look back on your perspective and ego to realize that you're a bit short sighted and overly presumptuous. A stance car is just as "useful" as a 1.6L FWD "race" car. Not all of use $400 VMAXX's for stance, some of us have custom valved performance struts and geometry corrections to stance our cars .

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:58 AM
µ Leadership

haha. yea, Mike actually uses his cars.

I use my cars too. Some people are just a little ill informed on what can be accomplished with a car that is "stanced".

I mean, have a look at the Cyber Evo. It is a "stanced" race car that is one of the fastest timeattack cars out there.

Also have a look at the RWB porsche's they are all very "stanced" and they race and daily drive them all the time.

I think maybe you are only looking at cars that are improperly "stanced"? Like Rally mentioned about having the suspension geometry corrected etc...
Old 09-28-2011, 02:05 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post

I think maybe you are only looking at cars that are improperly "stanced"?
What happens is people see a style becoming popular and in an attempt to seem unique and important, they do what they can to distance themselves from the "mainstream". In order to convince themselves that they are better than all those "stance" people, they start making broad overgeneralized assumptions about ALL stance owners and then use these misconstrued assumptions to prove why their race car makes them better than someone who lowers their car for looks. They overlook the fact that it all boils down to personal opinions and preferences. All of a sudden they have built this image of a rusted civic covered in stickers on steel wheels that is stuck in a parking lot because it can't get over a speedbump because of its cut springs. The reality is that many of us put in just as much time into our suspension as autocross racers and we drive our cars daily despite how "useless" people say it is.

A true car enthusiast would realize that both track cars and stance cars are cool and should be appreciated for different reasons. I'm not sure why anyone would think that your taste has to be mutually exclusive between the two
Old 09-28-2011, 02:21 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
A true car enthusiast would realize that both track cars and stance cars are cool and should be appreciated for different reasons. I'm not sure why anyone would think that your taste has to be mutually exclusive between the two
Couldnt have said it any better
Old 09-28-2011, 02:40 AM
μ

Quote:
Why, Because Race Car

mine is a race car, thats why, and darling we dont have ovals, us Europeans know how to used corners in both directions i think its called a track, once le build is finished mine will neither be cute, slow or a 1.6, and performance is always paramount looks always come second

My problem with this comment is that you have not only generalized an entire group of car owners, but you have generalized the members of an entire country. And both irrational comments are founded on nothing but sand.

Problem 1) Who told you that your car was a race car? And for that matter.. what IS a race car? I've recently started taking my classic to the track. So I guess it's a race car now. I even did a radio delete. Guess I can convince myself that was for weight savings. Because racecar.

Problem 2) You took the "driving in a circle" comment to a level it shouldn't have gone to. Why must you make a simple comment about circuit racing into an "Americans can only turn one direction" comment. Your ignorance alone truly astounds me as you've come onto this site full of predominantly Americans and insulted us. And You've managed to insult yourself by failing again to understand the meaning of a word. the word circle doesn't necessarily refer to the absolute shape. It could also mean driving in a circuit as in the point of origin and end point are the same.

Problem 3) You say after your build your car will be neither cute nor slow. I'm sure there will still be a Ferrari FXX owner who will look at your "race car" and call it both cute, and Slow and he will mean it in a much more demeaning way than we do. Besides. If looks were never paramount, then you would have the lightest, fastest, and ugliest car available so long as it blew the doors off the competition. Function may take precedent over form in your life, but purely by your choice of platform, the mini, you have assigned some value to form no matter what your argument may say.

And besides:

Old 09-28-2011, 02:55 AM
μ

ZOMG CAMBER AND FLUSH WHEELS?!?!! USELESS STANCE!
Old 09-28-2011, 02:57 AM
μ

Sorry. I should have mentioned these are stationary models of cars. They are for display purposes only and should never Racecar.