motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Garage The place to show off your pride and joy. Show us your motoring masterpiece herein!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Garage

Old 08-26-2012, 08:26 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default All I wanted was S spokes and a standard airfilter

I think I've had the Mini for a year and a half now. I bought it like this:

Click the image to open in full size.

Tbh I thought it was nothing to be ashamed of but I didn't know any better. I knew that the wheels had to go though. It took me 2 days to get a puncture. I knew they couldn't have much strength and sure enough when one was put on the balancing machine, it was all over the place.

The Mini came with this generic looking airfilter cone. Whenever I hit the loud pedal from low revs the car would stutter like it was being choked. I'm no engine expert but I was willing to bet a months wages that the dirty airfilter was part of the problem.
I was on Totalmini at the time. They directed me over to Minitorque when asking about a better airfilter. (If I was going to keep the car for a while I may as well fit something good. Plus the DaveF looked standard.) Sure enough the DaveF meant the car could breathe easily and the choking stopped. After reading for a while I decided to stay at MT.

I soon decided that I wanted a taste of track driving and bought a few parts
MeisterR coilovers
KMT chargecooler
16" Rota Fighters with R888 rubber
SPC camber arms
R56 S calipers, Nitrac discs & Mintex pads.
and a set of 17" OZ Superleggera.s

1320 was the closest recommended tuner so I paid them a visit. The car came out looking like this:

I liked the coils. The Mini was ready for a trackday at Snetterton. I told a mate about it and he brought his Civic Type R. His mate trailered his 2.0l 205 Gti which was more fun than the Mini.

Laugh out loud moment of the day was the first corner. Getting there with cold semi slicks saying “I don’t know what I’m doing!” I couldn’t get any tuition until midday. I tried to remember racing lines from playing Forza 3. It didn’t hurt as the instructor only laughed once. Tuition was the best part of the day though. The Brundle and Nelson corners were giving me grief but it felt like I was flying through after being told how to take them.

The brakes and the tyres made up for the lack in power. The Meisters were doing their bit too until the offside rear damper adjuster came off.

A couple of months later saw me return to 1320 to fit a -15% pulley and the KMT chargecooler. It made 187hp at the wheels. The iat's were well in check and the Mini pulled better. I was happier.

Next I had all of the bushes upgraded. It made such a noticeable improvement it surprised me. About a month later I was booked up for an evening at Brands Hatch. I wasn't sure if the weather was going to stay dry so I left the track tyres at home.

I left it alone for a couple of months until the looks were starting to annoy me. Fuel cap, handles and mirror caps were painted black, black indicator vents fitted and wet weather tyres replaced the R888's. I also had an uprated rear ARB fitted which made a noticeable difference.

Over the Winter I started hoarding a bunch of parts. I also put in an order for a set of these:

February 2012 rolled round and it was time to sort out the exterior. The slightly off colour arches and skirts had trolled me for long enough. I hated the front bumper and skirts and was planning on having a GP replica spoiler fitted so I booked it into a bodyshop.

I was happier.

I also had AP coils fitted. I think I wanted more lows at the front. I went for a test run in a friends Mini running the coils and thought the ride was good. After I had them fitted it didn't take me long to realise that they weren't for me. They weren't firm enough during cornering and the car took a step back. I was less happy.

The next month I got a local garage to fit a CAE shifter and a facelift gearbox. I still haven't got a decent pic of the shifter:

I know some owners don't feel it but having a facelift box made the Mini pull noticeably better. It felt so sluggish with the old box.
I picked up the Mini and headed in the direction of 1320 again. They fitted the Pole Positions I managed to score on Ebay (Again, rubbish pic)

This was all done in time for a road trip to a car show in Belgium. Team MT :

April kicked off and I had decided I didn't want those XXR's I had preordered anymore. I'd gone off the style and was fed up of waiting after 4 months. I decided to hoard some money while deciding what rims were next.
Shortly after this, Sixspeed decided to part out. I scored his KW Clubsports and those teal XXR's of his.

I'd love a better quality interior. The car is 10 years old now and it's starting to look a little tired on the inside. I've replaced the 2 spoke wheel with a 3 spoke. I've got A pillars and a roof liner wrapped in black alcantara wannabe material waiting to go in. I've thought about stickerbombing the back of the seats as they're scratched up a bit. I'm in no rush to make hasty decisions though.

Hope that wasn't a tldr moment.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:41 AM
μ

very nice man; have seen this over on MT many times

Old 08-29-2012, 09:38 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thanks LowCountry.

I just started taking off the headliner bits in order to replace my headliner with a black one. It took me 5 minutes to realise there was an airbag behind the A pillar trim I was tugging at. I'll have another go tomorrow. I had a brief look at the nuts attaching the whatever and it doesn't look promising for my meagre tool collection.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:33 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via MSN to Loui

The steering wheel is the best feature!!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Always enjoy reading someone's pregression. Nice MINI.

What bolts/stud conversion do you have?
Old 08-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Ha Loui. I do like the wheel a lot. It isn't quite straight though. I tried unbolting it but I only succeeded in ruining my rubbish socket.

Sketch I bought these studs from Rally Design. They don't poke past the nuts which is what I wanted.
The nuts are Muteki SR48's. The finish isn't very good. Everytime I unbolt/bolt the wheels on, a little more pink is worn off

It's so much easier to mount wheels with a stud conversion. I bolt them up with 120nm torque.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Blame Loz lol. Joking aside I think it looks great! It just needs a manly engine and some pink rims lol
Old 08-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Engine will have to wait until next year. I'm in no rush though. I'd like an engine build like Batou. I think that would be more than enough power for me. I've actually got some pink powdercoat but I'm waiting for the right wheel to deploy them on

I just won some facelift xenons on ebay without actually seeing them. I might have thrown a wad of cash into the dark here.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Pretty much like mine was before the turbo then. That sort of spec engine is a great all rounder instant go, plenty of grunt and it didn't matter too much what gear you were in
Old 09-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I didn't know you had that engine spec before the turbo. How different is the driveabilty compared to a turbo R53?

So I've been talked into a quilted headliner now and I've already found a buyer for my plain one. If I had a half cage fitted next year I'd always be annoyed by having an ok headliner as opposed to an awesome one. I've been watching too many video's on Canibeat like sites and it's influenced my idea of how I want this Mini to turn out.

I've looked into "panther black" (reminds me of that aftershave in the movie Anchorman) sunvisors and they're £51 each ($81)
Old 09-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Yeah i was the first in the uk to make over 270bhp with an M45 long before others did. The turbo is completely different to an m45 mini. You have to keep it over 4k revs to get the best out of it where a well tuned m45 is just so flexible
Old 09-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Love this car!
Old 09-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thanks man. You know what I think of yours!

Recently took a risk on some facelift lights on ebay. The guy didn't have any pics but had a decent amount of feedback. He said they looked like the stock pic he used in his ad so I took a punt and offered him £350. The box arrived today and I hurriedly ripped it open to see if they were actually facelift xenon's. They were. next I was desperate to find out if they actually worked so quickly plugged them in:

But now I don't have the right tool to undo the bit that swings out from the bottom of the light unit so it can fit through the bonnet hole. I'm in no rush though and am happy I got the lights at a decent price. Thinking of ccing the rings? Once they're on I'll power up Photoshop.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:44 AM
µ Leadership

I love this car. Keep up the good work man. Killer stuff
Old 09-06-2012, 05:49 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thank you for answering my question