motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Paddocks General automotive banter, covering any make and model.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Paddocks

Old 09-06-2012, 08:42 PM
µ Leadership

Default JCW GP Take 2

Click the image to open in full size.

So as the details trickle out on the new GP I thought it merited its own thread. Besides the overuse of red highlights & overdone graphics, I think it's a pretty interesting package.

Here are the parts that interest me the most from the latest MF article:
Quote:
The MINI John Cooper Works GP’s exclusive suspension technology relies heavily on motor sport. For the first time on a MINI, it features an individually adjustable coilover suspension, which allows ride height to be lowered by up to 20 millimetres. Among other things, this means the suspension set-up can be fine-tuned to different circuit conditions whenever the MINI goes out onto the track.

The front shock absorbers are mounted upside down in the tube, with the piston rod pointing down, in order to increase longitudinal and lateral stiffness.

The front camber has been increased compared with the regular MINI John Cooper Works, so that the performance potential of the sports tyres – which differ significantly from road tyres – can be used to full effect, without the penalties of early understeer, inevitably leading to increased tyre wear. Other features include reduced front-wheel toe-in and increased rear camber, which alters the forward weight transfer so as to give more speed and more neutral steering when driving close to the limit. At the same time, the reduced toe-in improves agility and cornering confidence.

Track-worthy braking performance is provided by the MINI John Cooper Works GP’s racing-derived sports brake system, featuring six-piston fixed-calliper disc brakes, vented at the front. The front discs are 330 millimetres in diameter and 25 millimetres thick, with 280 x 10 mm discs at the rear. The low-weight 17-inch alloy wheels, again exclusive to the MINI John Cooper Works GP, run on high-traction 215/40 R17 sports tyres. Optionally, standard-size 205/45 R17 tyres are available on the same wheels, offering a good sporty balance between performance and good handling in wet or low-temperature conditions. The 7.5 x 17 H2 ET45 wheels, which were specially developed for the MINI John Cooper Works GP, are derived from the MINI Challenge race car, and feature lightweight contours on flow-formed rims.
Quote:
The aerodynamic body parts like the large front and rear aprons, striking side sills and model-specific roof spoiler not only add to the appearance but also play an important part in controlling air flow. The rear diffusor, together with the underside panelling (some of which was taken from the Cooper SD) and the roof-edge spoiler, reduce lift forces at the rear axle by 90 per cent, for impeccable handling control even under high-speed cornering and when driving at or near the limit. We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again; this GP isn’t about weight loss as much as it is suspension and aero.

A six per cent reduction in drag is reflected in improved fuel economy and a higher top speed. The air flow round the front of the car has been significantly improved with the help of a large spoiler and full aerodynamic shielding of the engine compartment underside. This aerodynamic shield not only reduces drag and front axle lift, but also improves air flow through the engine compartment. Slits in the centre of the shield help to expel air from the intercooler. The slits are situated in an area of fast air flow and high vacuum force, so that the air is literally sucked out of the engine compartment, thereby improving the performance of the intercooler.
Quote:
Even though the styling of the new GP is very reminiscent of the old, MINI’s making a clear change in direction with this GP. This is a car that was engineered from the ground-up to be exceptional on the track as well as the street. The first GP was created quickly with a number of accessory parts. The new GP seems as it’s cut from a noticeably different cloth. Designed, engineered and then tested over two years, the new JCW GP is a car much closer to an M product than any MINI before it.

No there’s no weight loss. And no there are no big power gains. But in talking with the GP’s head of development, Jorg Weidinger, it became clear that he wasn’t just a product manager for MINI but a racer with more than 15 years experience at the professional level. A quick online search and you’ll find Mr. Weidinger’s personal racing site with his full history dating back to 1994. Why is this a big deal? The GP’s development wasn’t led by a marketer, but by a racer with years of experience at the ‘Ring and throughout Europe’s best tracks. This is why the GP has 17″ wheels, non-runflat tires. This is why the suspension is full adjustable and why the brakes are unusually large for such a light car.

Even if final power and weight figures disappoint some, we expect this GP to easily be the fastest and most track focused MINI to date. And we can thank Mr. Weidinger and his team for bringing new thinking reminiscent of BMW M to the JCW GP brand.
http://www.motoringfile.com/2012/09/...pecs-revealed/
PDF Spec Sheet: http://s3.motoringfile.com.s3.amazon...rks_GP_ENG.pdf
Old 09-06-2012, 08:47 PM
µ Leadership

Personally, if I had one I'd strip off the graphics & red highlights, save the OEM wheels to the side, put some other light wheels & sticky rubber on it & drive it like I stole it.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:51 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamez View Post
Personally, if I had one I'd strip off the graphics & red highlights, save the OEM wheels to the side, put some other light wheels & sticky rubber on it & drive it like I stole it.
No doubt. Looks like a good time!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:17 PM
μ

Yup yup. I'd leave the side view mirrors, ditch the rest and have a blast.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Konstantinos

The red brake ducts were too much for me. I'd also rip off the stickers on the sides. Other than that, it's the best MINI that MINI has come out with, I think.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:53 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

It is not doing it for me.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:34 AM
µ Leadership

Quote:
EVO Track Test: The MINI GP Against the Best Hot Hatches

EVO Magazine – perhaps our favorite car mag – not only got its hands on a JCW GP but managed to get it to a track and pit it against the best hot hatches from around the world. The results speak volumes of what we’ve been saying about the GP. After our reviews (track drive, video review, road review) we’ve been blown away by the performance and the feel of the thing. Tiff Needell and Richard Meaden seem to agree. In fact even the raw numbers give the GP the edge over the much more powerful 350 HP Focus RS or the AWD 256 HP Audi S1 hitting the highest top-speed and having the quickest time around the track.

Check out the video after the break.
Video here: http://www.motoringfile.com/2013/03/...t-hot-hatches/
Old 03-04-2013, 03:50 AM
μ

apparently just like the first gen - awesome car with questionable styling.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:00 AM
μ

We had one at our local Sunday morning GTG . Nice but like the first gen GP could have been so much more .

Randy
Old 03-29-2013, 07:47 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Just arrived...

Old 03-29-2013, 07:48 PM
μ

We're waiting on 4 to show up this evening, and another 3 to go next week!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:16 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I gotta say...the interior is really nice.

The car itself is nice, but I don't think $39,950 nice.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:21 PM
μ

Needs more low.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:45 PM
µ Leadership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
We're waiting on 4 to show up this evening, and another 3 to go next week!
It has adjustable coilovers standard.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:29 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I think you quoted the wrong post...

...we're going to see how low it sits spun all the way down...