motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Safety & Race Preparation Roll cages, harnesses, seats, weight reduction, etc. Anything pertaining to taking your car to the highest level of performance.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Safety & Race Preparation

Old 07-11-2006, 06:08 PM
μ

Send a message via ICQ to KiLO Send a message via AIM to KiLO Send a message via MSN to KiLO Send a message via Yahoo to KiLO
Default Corbeau 3-Point Harnesses

Anyone have any experience with these? Outmotoring.com has them for $99.95. How do they match up with the Schroths as far as effectiveness? They look very similar.

http://outmotoring.com/corbeau_3_point_harness.html

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:17 PM
μ

Send a message via ICQ to KiLO Send a message via AIM to KiLO Send a message via MSN to KiLO Send a message via Yahoo to KiLO

Ooops, I guess this should be moved to "Safety and Race Prep"... Sorry...
Old 07-11-2006, 07:18 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to RFIbanez

The main difference between those and the Schroths is that the Schroths buckle into the Mini's stock seat belt locations, making it easier to install. With those Corbeau's it might be a lil trickier to install. Do you have your rear seats removed? I had a Sparco 4-point harness in my Cooper, I had to remove the stock seat belts in the rear's and bolt the Sparco into those locations.

Also, I'd probably go for a 4-point over a 3-point. You can usually find some for a good price on ebay. Got my Sparco for about $60.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Retired

I'm a bit confused what that inertial wheel is being mounted to.

Justapooper

I'm not lurking. I'm controlling the action.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:52 PM
μ

probably somewhere in the rear, but it looks like it needs to be mounted in the middle directly behind you to work properly. I don't know where that would be mounted.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:00 PM
μ

Hmm... I see what you mean. Seems like you're paying for better design/engineering with the Schroth. I definitely don't want to remove the rear seats just yet.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:12 PM
μ

Ahhhhhhh another one of those to good to be true products...at least for that price!!!! That whole Inertial wheel thing has me spooked If you don't wanna splurge for a full harness....consider a CG Lock!!!! I got one and I love it!!!! It held my ass inplace last Saturday really well!!! And at only $40....it'll do till the harness....
Old 07-11-2006, 09:07 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

And i remember reading that because the schroth is in the stock belt recepticle, it retracts a little in the case of an accident.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:40 PM
μ

And it's DOT approved, cops can't hassle ya!
Old 07-12-2006, 02:55 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I'd consider any harness type thing a closed course only product. You cannot look over your shoulder when backing up, you cannot reach the door handle to pull the door closed if you open it further than the first resting point. You cannot pick things up off the floor. etc, etc. These are all things I discovered the first time I put on my 6-point at the track. It was pretty comical. I got strapped in with my gloves on the dash, then realized I couldn't reach them. Loosened the shoulder belts to reach the gloves, then dropped one on the floor in front of my seat, which I couldn't reach. Finally got the gloves on and the belts tightened up again, then couldn't close the door. My instructor must have been a little worried at that point.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:55 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Agreed. 4 point harnesses look cool, it's true, but their use should be limited to the track. Click the image to open in full size.

Although maybe I'd let Ray install them for a show. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:09 AM
μ

Yeah, I'd definitely be getting them for Autocross... What do you think regarding the Corbeaus Sid?
Old 07-12-2006, 06:06 AM
μ

Hmmm...can I still get a refund Jerry?

haha!
Old 07-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLO
Yeah, I'd definitely be getting them for Autocross... What do you think regarding the Corbeaus Sid?
Neither the Corbeau nor the Schroth are approved for racing because of the acute angle of the rear securing straps. Regs call for a 5 or 6 point harness secured to a horizontal bar of the roll cage just behind the driver's head.

That said, both are better than your stock belt to hold you in place for a closed course event. Corbeau has one rear strap which will need a secure mount welded or bolted to the chassis, and two side mounts again welded or bolted. Schroth belts use the stock MINI seat belt anchors front and rear and allow you to use your stock seat belt for highway cruising, which is more comfortable and safer on the freeway.

I keep my Schroths in a box and snap them in at the track, returning them to the box at the end of the day.

Just remember that the belts need to be TIGHT. Pull the lap straps very tightly across your hips, then exhale and pull the shoulder straps so tight you think you can't breathe. It may sound uncomfortable, but you'll forget all about the discomfort once you get on the track and they will hold you in place. Then loosen the belts after your session to prep for the next time.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:38 PM
μ

Cool, thanks Sid, that helps me. Sounds like the Corbeaus are just impractical mostly. Since I would be putting them in and removing them, the Schroths sound like the ones. Man, I just wish they weren't so expensive!