motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 11-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Geez thats intense. Like Drew I have a ton of respect for what you do. I remember back i middle school my best friend and I had walked home to his house to come home and find his dad laying on the couch. We thought he was merely sleeping. My mom called me and I had told her that we could not wake him up, no matter what we did (we even dumped a cup of ice on him, no affect). I assumed he was just very exhausted and a heavy sleeper but my mother convinced me to call the paremedics. When they got there i was stunned at how precise and quick they were at what they did.

It turned out that my friend's father had tried to kill himself on an overdose of prescription medication. It was thanks to the quick work of the EMTs that day that saved his life and gave him a chance to get to the hospital and recieve the neccessary care.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:48 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Camaro Send a message via Yahoo to Camaro Send a message via Skype™ to Camaro

A little back story I joined the Plainville Rescue Squad a few months ago. They needed younger people as most of the original members were getting older.

So for the past few days my car has been in the body shop getting the busted bumper fixed from when I hit a cat a month ago. So tonight pager goes off. I respond ....oh wait no vehicle and the shed is 5 blocks away ( very small town)so I jump off my porch and start dead sprint for about a block and realize I am so out of shape. I get to a gas station on the corner and I see a friend just pulling out I flag them down and get a ride the rest of the way. I get to the shed hop in the Jaws unit and proceed to the scene with 3 fellow members. We get to the seen with the jaws ready to go and work lights all ready. Find out the male driver middle aged who had been ejected from the vehicle was DOA so we ended up assisting the FD with deactivating all power and fuel systems on the truck.

Then the interesting part. While driving back to Plainville. The driver spots a person in the ditch laying down. We all are like what the hell? We turn off the road and turn around. We stop to see whats up and its some really drunk lady walking either to Palco 4miles west or to Zurich 5 miles east. So we ask her if she knows anyone who can come pick her up. We radio the sheriff just incase she has no ride. So we wait there for her ride about 30 minutes pass finally some relative shows up and gets her.

WOOOOO what a night I still feeling the rush.

Last edited by Camaro; 11-11-2009 at 03:53 AM..
Old 11-11-2009, 03:50 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to jC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldnSlow View Post
Being an EMT before mandatory seat belts was no fun.
...and very dangerous. One of my co-residents did a research study on the frequency of seatbelt use in ambulances and mortality of EMS providers that get in accidents themselves...very startling...needless to say the captain's chair was the safest spot and place most likely to wear a belt.

Great stories Chris. Being on the receiving end of EMS at a level I trauma center, you realize quickly who is doing the job because they love it and who is there just because, and it's clear you're firmly of the former.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:51 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Thanks for the cool stories.
I have seen threads like this on other forums, but this one is especially cool as I have met most people posting in here. It makes everything more believable. Keep up the good work.
I briefly thought of getting into the EMS field but I have a weak stomach for blood and guts.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:32 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to TheWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jC View Post
...and very dangerous. One of my co-residents did a research study on the frequency of seatbelt use in ambulances and mortality of EMS providers that get in accidents themselves...very startling...needless to say the captain's chair was the safest spot and place most likely to wear a belt.

Great stories Chris. Being on the receiving end of EMS at a level I trauma center, you realize quickly who is doing the job because they love it and who is there just because, and it's clear you're firmly of the former.
Oh ****! What's up doc? Do you guys let students and/or future students shadow you?
Old 11-20-2009, 11:09 PM
μ

Got one coming at ya Doc.

Just Medevac'd the person in a car vs. person MVA with one of the gnarlist tib-fib fractures I've ever seen.

Story to follow.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:26 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to OldnSlow Send a message via Yahoo to OldnSlow Send a message via Skype™ to OldnSlow

Oh man, I had a tib fib mess a long time ago in a person v train accident. Drunk college kid tried to jump on a train that was heading through campus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
Got one coming at ya Doc.

Just Medevac'd the person in a car vs. person MVA with one of the gnarlist tib-fib fractures I've ever seen.

Story to follow.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:41 AM
μ

The story for aforementioned Medevac.

PSA: Look both ways before crossing the street.

So I'm hanging out at home letting the PS3 update when my pager goes off with "An ALS provider is needed for a pedestrian struck at (location)." Now I'm not an ALS provider yet (Paramedic) but these calls are the best for seeing cool trauma. So I call in and say I'm headed to the scene direct in my car. I put my bunker gear on, hope in the MINI and put my little green first responder light on. I book it to the scene, which wasn't far, in about 3 minutes.

I get on scene to see a silver 2008 Scion xB stopped in the intersection, flanked by three cop cars and one of our ambulances, driver still in it. On the ground in front of me is a gaggle of 5 EMTs and a 60ish year old woman in a great deal of pain. I survey the scene and see that no one has gotten the stretcher out and prepped yet, so I do that. I come back to the patient and grab an EMTs ear who had stood up and asked what her status was while I looked down. When I looked down I saw the patient's right leg, from the knee down, was splinted but facing the wrong direction. I say "Holy ****, that's awesome!" Next I hear one of my fellow EMTs say that the bird is 3 minutes out. I did a little dance in my head because, up til that point, had never flown anybody from a scene. It was also at this point that I looked up at the driver of the Scion that hit this woman. His hands were still on the steering wheel, he was looking straight ahead, and looked as if he was frozen in that position.

So we get the patient on to our backboard, stretcher, and in the ambulance. The patient was quite a trooper considering the amount of pain she was in. The helicopter was landed about 500 feet from the scene so we had a very short drive. When we got to the landing zone, the flight medic came aboard our ambulance to take a set of vitals, do his assessment and get our report. As the saying goes in medicine, trust no one. As he takes out his trauma shears and goes to cut off the patient's leather jacket I hear "Oh NO YOU DON'T!" I love people. You're worried about your jacket? Really? Your foot is facing the wrong way!

Anyway, I grab a helmet and with the assistance of some of the other crew members unload the patient and head towards the copter. Our Medevacs are rear loading versus the side loaders that you see on alot of TV shows. Probably because our Medevacs are also the county police choppers. This comes into play because you can't go directly to the back of the copter because the rear rotors would be right over your head. Not the best place to be. So we kind of snake around according to the pilot's hand signals. I say "hand signals" because it is the loudest place I think I've ever been. As you are approaching the copter you get blasted with rotor wash then the wash stops and the noise starts. Exceptionally loud once you are right there. So we slide the patient off of our stretcher and into the copter, clear the rotor wash and stand back.

Now I had never seen a helicopter lift off before. It wasn't what I was expecting. It is alot less elegant than you'd think. The pilot sped up the rotors and it sort of lifts off the ground and hovers back and forth for a second or two then stabilizes and slowly climbs to about 50 feet or so, then tilts forward and it's off. Very cool. I was fascinated by it, as you can tell.

The patient was at our county's Level 1 trauma center in about 10 minutes probably. Which is important seeing as you only have about 30-40 minutes without a pulse before you start to lose function in an extremity and she was pulseless in her crooked leg.

I wonder how she's doing...
Old 11-25-2009, 04:49 AM
μ

niiice!

(that noise is awesome ain't it? )

helos are a very inelegant flying machine and take a very smooth hand to lift off/land totally smooth with no bobbles or hesitations

hope the woman and her leg are ok, and totally understand her point about the leather jacket . I mean c'mon, from her point of view the leg is already screwed, why mess up the jacket to?

Old 11-25-2009, 03:16 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

was it one of these leather jackets.. maybe it was a MJ original

Click the image to open in full size.

crazy though..
Old 11-25-2009, 03:37 PM
μ

Cool ass story.
-G
Old 11-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to kalbone

cool story..
Old 11-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Camaro Send a message via Yahoo to Camaro Send a message via Skype™ to Camaro

Nice one
Old 11-29-2009, 12:44 AM
μ

If she was wearing the MJ jacket, we woulda had to airlift the driver of the car.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:14 AM
μ

This was an interesting one just because of the people. Made me think for a second about the world.

Call comes over as manpower needed for a pedestrian struck on a street that isn't in a very nice area. 12 year old African American boy was walking in the street wearing dark clothes when he was hit on his upper left leg by a slow moving car. Car couldn't have been gong too quickly cuz the kid said he caught his balance after he was hit. His brother was with him, although not at the time of the accident. Now, my immediate reaction was what the **** are you doing walking in the street in the dark wearing dark clothes? Then I think, well maybe the driver wasn't paying attention. We board and collar the kid as a precaution even though we probably didn't have to. He's fine but bruised. The brother gets talking a little in the ambulance on the way to the hospital (maybe three years older) about when HE got hit on the SAME street a few years ago and how it was a little worse. So now I'm thinking we are merely interfering with Darwin here.

It was the first time I thought that all of the advances in medical care over the past few decades are probably slowing evolution down quite a bit. Seriously, I'm not joking about this. Evolutionarily, I believe that we have plateaued. It was a strange thought. By no means do I think what I do, what EMS providers do, is detrimental and should be stopped but at the same time I think back to points in history when massive amount of people were wiped out (Bubonic plague, Influenza, even AIDS to some extent). The stronger people survived and the human race is better for it.

I hope that in the next few decades we can push further into our medical bag of tricks and create better, healthier, longer lives for people. I want to be a part of that. But sometimes I just look at the people we are saving and the situations they get themselves into and just wonder.