motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Garage The place to show off your pride and joy. Show us your motoring masterpiece herein!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Garage

Old 01-02-2009, 05:26 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to FlattOut
Default '02 R53

Here is what I have done so far

Promini CAI
Promini Stressbar
Borla Street Exhaust
OBX Header
Alta 15% Supercharger Pulley
Wahlen Custom Knob
B&M SSK
V-Maxx Coilovers
Belt line back out
Lisence Plate relocator
"Supercharged" badge
Carbon-fiber S overlay
18" Exel TZ-10s
Italian Air Horn
Black Bonnet Stripes
Alta inlet hose
Carbon Fiber Stubby Antenna
SUPRCHRGD custom europlate
Aerokit
Twin Cowl Scoops
Halo Projection Headlights
Magnetic Motoring Badge Holder
Smoked Tail lights
M7 OCC
Alta Top Mount Intercooler
Alta Rear Adjustable Control Arms
MSD coil pack
Magnecor wires
TSW Carbon Fiber Engine Damper
Racing Dynamics Rear Stress Bar
Cobalt Skid Plate

Here is what it looked like before:

Click the image to open in full size.

Winter/Early Spring '09

Summer '09
Fall '09

Last edited by FlattOut; 11-14-2010 at 10:03 PM..
Old 01-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Smile NICE RIDE!!

Thats pretty sweet man! Im liking those halo rings on the lights...
Personally I would leave off the 'Cooper S' banner, but thats just me. At one point I had 6 different LARGE decals on my MCSa, but after some friends helped me realize that it was just a bit much, I toned it down and removed all except for the 'PolePosition Raceway' decal on my hatch. Just a thought about that. Also I would keep the aero grills on and spend the saved money from the m7 grills on something else (coilovers)!

Anyway good luck with your Mini and keep us updated on its progress! Happy New Year!

Last edited by Sketch; 01-02-2009 at 10:56 AM..
Old 01-02-2009, 09:02 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Alpha Motoring

I'm not quite sure what to say of the taillights but as long as you like them, it's your car after all!
Old 01-02-2009, 09:06 AM
μ

I like the power on badge
Old 01-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Motoring View Post
I'm not quite sure what to say of the taillights but as long as you like them, it's your car after all!
Oh believe me, they are by far not my favorite. They are ebay tailights and they were mad cheap so I grabbed them up. I hate the stock taillights ('02-'04 ) and I wasn't into smoking them out but after looking around, smoked out taillights don't look so bad. All of the other "euro-style" taillights either had uber chrome or were mad exspensive. Also, at the time of the purchase I had absolutely no idea which way I wanted to go with modifications so they are more or less "buffer" lights. I keep all of the stock parts (until I'm happy with the mod) so do you think that I should smoke them out? Save up for better ones??

*Does anyone know the law regarding tinted lights in NJ? Thanks..
Old 01-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Konstantinos

for the tail lights, you could go cherry red:

or smoked:

I think the dark tint would look good on your car. You can get it from Lyle, who sells a few different levels of smoked as well as the cherry. Where did you get that 'supercharged' badge? I've liked them, but never looked for around.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Cherry red is pretty cool....hmmm...but so does smoked.....

I got the "Supercharged" badge from a Chevy dealership (it's off of a cobalt SS)

I have connections..

They have larger "supercharged/Turbocharged" badges at MOSS but I found this...

Cobalt SS Supercharged
Old 01-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

So Prestige Mini just called......

The clutch cables are seizing when it gets below 32F. So all the above mentioned modifications will not be happening in near future....

so its $610 to replace the cables
and there happens to be a few oil leaks and thats $850 dollars to fix
and my control arm busings are cracked and that $700 to fix..... my day is going great!

And my belt tensioner is going.... yupp
Old 01-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I wouldn't quite worry about replacing the clutch cables if it's so expensive. I see the issue as an inconvenience rather than a problem. If you've got the resources, do it later down the road. I don't believe there will be any harm done if you just let the car warm up when it happens.

Where are the oil leaks coming from? If it's gaskets that need to be replaced, maybe you can do them with your dad since you guys do your own stuff. No need to pay someone for what you can do yourself.

Control arm bushings are not a big deal. Get the ALTA PSRS and replace them yourself. All you need to do is make sure you have access to a hydraulic press while doing the installation. It should turn out to be a nice weekend project, and you'll feel a nice difference in stability.

Belt tensioner is a common replacement part, another thing you should look into replacing on your own. Seeing as you've already done your own pulley, this shouldn't be a big deal.

Personally, I don't like the stripes or banner on the Dark Silver, and do not like the m7 grille either. The best looking DS I've seen:

Old 01-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantinos88 View Post
I wouldn't quite worry about replacing the clutch cables if it's so expensive. I see the issue as an inconvenience rather than a problem. If you've got the resources, do it later down the road. I don't believe there will be any harm done if you just let the car warm up when it happens.

Where are the oil leaks coming from? If it's gaskets that need to be replaced, maybe you can do them with your dad since you guys do your own stuff. No need to pay someone for what you can do yourself.

Control arm bushings are not a big deal. Get the ALTA PSRS and replace them yourself. All you need to do is make sure you have access to a hydraulic press while doing the installation. It should turn out to be a nice weekend project, and you'll feel a nice difference in stability.

Belt tensioner is a common replacement part, another thing you should look into replacing on your own. Seeing as you've already done your own pulley, this shouldn't be a big deal.

Personally, I don't like the stripes or banner on the Dark Silver, and do not like the m7 grille either. The best looking DS I've seen:

Eventually I will have to replace the clutch cables and since we are still in the beginning of winter, I feel that now is a good time to replace them. I don't want to get stuck at the mall or something (although it only takes 20 minuted to warm up). Its a pain. I'm not really too familiar witht the transmission yet (this could be a time to do so) but it does kill me to spend money on non-important things.

The guy said that the gasket needs to be replaced along with the oil pan. He said this is something that is important and needs to be done now (I know, I know. they will tell you everything needs to be done now) This is the most expensive "procedure" I don't know if that means anyhting.

I have looked into the Alta Positive Steering Response System but for the time being I'm not sure if its necessary. There was something with the strut towers too. On my mom's R53 the samething happend, i guess from hitting potholes. I have had a lot of vibration in the car (in the sunroof and I can hear buzzing in the rear), are the damaged struts causing this?? (this could be from the previous owner or me...idk)

I am definitely doing the belt tensioner myself. I have familiarized myself with that part of the car so, I feel comfortable working there. I see you have the 17% pulley installed, was there any engine "squealing" after the installation. I don't know if I put the tensioner back in wrong or forgot something. I will find out.

We are going to call the insurance company, maybe they will cover something. Maybe not. I will look at other options. I know they have already begun work on the car. Now that I think about it, I guess if I get these things replaced it should be safer, have a better ride and hopefully last longer. It's just that I had these big dreams but they are put on hold. Maybe the dealership might want to hire me or something lol. It's a good thing I really love my car and that I save my money lol.... I just can't wait to have it back

It's like I want them done now..but I dont. lol

BTW that Dark Silver S look awesome. I like it clean. IDK about body color headlight rings, they're different. But it is better than chrome!! I like the black roof. Here is where I think I went wrong. Maybe I will change the roof color (to black) one day....maybe one day. Although in a parking lot you can spot the white roof very easily.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:56 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to MrBattle

it looked super clean stock all it needed was the wheels you have now and a drop

Old 01-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBattle View Post
it looked super clean stock all it needed was the wheels you have now and a drop
Yupp....atleast everything is easy to remove

Okay so regarding the tailight. My friend can smoke out the tailights for me (but he can't get cherry red)so for like $20, should I go with 35% or 20% (darker)?
Old 01-02-2009, 10:51 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to MrBattle

depends on how bright the lights, at 20% it might become a safety issue

Old 01-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterxsin View Post
The guy said that the gasket needs to be replaced along with the oil pan. He said this is something that is important and needs to be done now (I know, I know. they will tell you everything needs to be done now) This is the most expensive "procedure" I don't know if that means anyhting.
Not sure there's much you can do about this, it sounds like you should just get it done, dunno if anyone else can chime in here. I've never had a problem with anything like this before, besides with my cousin, who busted his MINI's oil pan after getting 3-feet of air going too fast through an unevenly paved intersection...

Quote:
I have looked into the Alta Positive Steering Response System but for the time being I'm not sure if its necessary. There was something with the strut towers too. On my mom's R53 the samething happend, i guess from hitting potholes. I have had a lot of vibration in the car (in the sunroof and I can hear buzzing in the rear), are the damaged struts causing this?? (this could be from the previous owner or me...idk).
R53 sunroofs are known to have some buzzing problems, nothing to do with the struts. The strut towers are also known to mushroom, and can be hammered flat again, which should solve the strut problem. Then you can get some STDs (as you can see I have them ) to keep them flat (strut tower defenders)

Quote:
I am definitely doing the belt tensioner myself. I have familiarized myself with that part of the car so, I feel comfortable working there. I see you have the 17% pulley installed, was there any engine "squealing" after the installation. I don't know if I put the tensioner back in wrong or forgot something. I will find out.
I have had no squealing since it was done, but I did it with my cousin, who's very familiar with the MINI, so everything was done right for sure. I did have some squealing before it was done but it went away after I changed the serpentine. Have you changed your belt?

Quote:
We are going to call the insurance company, maybe they will cover something. Maybe not. I will look at other options. I know they have already begun work on the car. Now that I think about it, I guess if I get these things replaced it should be safer, have a better ride and hopefully last longer. It's just that I had these big dreams but they are put on hold. Maybe the dealership might want to hire me or something lol. It's a good thing I really love my car and that I save my money lol.... I just can't wait to have it back

It's like I want them done now..but I dont. lol
You should call the insurance company, but make sure to find out the deductible and how much / if your rates will go up. Did you authorize the dealer to begin the work?

Quote:
I like the black roof. Here is where I think I went wrong. Maybe I will change the roof color (to black) one day....maybe one day. Although in a parking lot you can spot the white roof very easily.
I like your white roof because the DS/W MINIs are pretty rare. To kill some white, you could paint your mirror caps DS (or black).
Old 01-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I agree on the smoked tails and I vote for removal of the windshield banner.

Looks great for sure!!!