motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Checkered Flag Track-related discussion, including both racing and high-performance driving events.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > Checkered Flag
Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:08 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldnSlow View Post
FIA confirms Renault being investigated for fixing the race last year in Singapore.
This might be interesting after all.

Randy

RACE-FIXING PROBE AS PIQUET'S OFF THE WALL31/08/2009

The fia has launched an investigation into allegations of race-fixing at last year's Singapore Grand Prix.

Brazilian TV has claimed officials are studying events surrounding Nelson Piquet's crash on lap 14 of the sport's first night race. The timing was crucial in handing victory to his Renault team-mate, double champion Fernando Alonso, who had just pitted for fuel.

Last night Renault boss Flavio Briatore was not available for comment.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:25 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to OldnSlow Send a message via Yahoo to OldnSlow Send a message via Skype™ to OldnSlow

Fisi replacing Badoer at Ferrari for remainder of 09.

And possibly getting ready to be there for 10?
Old 09-03-2009, 05:25 PM
μ

lets see, an investigation almost a year after the race, but 1-2 weeks after Piquet got the axe and is a bit upset? Surely they have a radio transmission of the crash request...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmini View Post
This might be interesting after all.

Randy

RACE-FIXING PROBE AS PIQUET'S OFF THE WALL31/08/2009

The fia has launched an investigation into allegations of race-fixing at last year's Singapore Grand Prix.

Brazilian TV has claimed officials are studying events surrounding Nelson Piquet's crash on lap 14 of the sport's first night race. The timing was crucial in handing victory to his Renault team-mate, double champion Fernando Alonso, who had just pitted for fuel.

Last night Renault boss Flavio Briatore was not available for comment.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:41 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldaddy View Post
lets see, an investigation almost a year after the race, but 1-2 weeks after Piquet got the axe and is a bit upset? Surely they have a radio transmission of the crash request...
Looks like the crash has been suspect long before Piquet was ousted.
Quote:
"He crashed in a very strange way," TV Globo commentator Reginaldo Leme is quoted as saying. "It struck me when I was talking recently with Felipe Massa. Felipe had gone to Briatore and said, 'This crash was not right, it happened because you wanted it to'."

Leme also said other drivers had been suspicious of the Piquet crash.
Read more: http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...03120026.shtml
Old 09-04-2009, 06:22 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I think this is all bs.^ there are team orders but no driver will crash on purpose. Renault wasn't even in the running for a championship. If they were, I might be able to swallow this crap. Also there would have been transmissions. There is no way you can plan something like this, let alone pull it off without a lot of people being involved...
Old 09-04-2009, 01:39 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpetzold View Post
I think this is all bs.^ there are team orders but no driver will crash on purpose. Renault wasn't even in the running for a championship. If they were, I might be able to swallow this crap. Also there would have been transmissions. There is no way you can plan something like this, let alone pull it off without a lot of people being involved...
I don't know whether it was intentional or not but there very well might be radio transmissions out there. And why would you need a lot of people to plan and pull it off? It only takes the directive from the "boss" and the driver to crash the car. No one else needs to be involved and you can't really plan ahead because you have no idea how the race will play out. At best it would be a more or less spontaneous decision made by one or two people then dictated to the driver to execute it.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:28 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to OldnSlow Send a message via Yahoo to OldnSlow Send a message via Skype™ to OldnSlow

I'm not so sure, here is an interesting speculative (yet reasonable) article on the subject:

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_feature_item.php
Old 09-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Looks like I was wrong.

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...04184025.shtml

Wow, if this is true Renault could be suspended from the series. Not what F1 needs right now. What kind of driver will crash on purpose, orders or no orders?
Old 09-04-2009, 07:48 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

I'm a little confused here. Why exactly are they just now debating and doling out punishments for something that happened last year? Is this just some sort of weird plea to bump Formula 1 up to the top of the Sports headlines? Whether he purposely crashed the car or not, shouldn't this have been settled a long time ago?
Old 09-04-2009, 08:29 PM
μ

Unless they've got a recording of the engineer telling Piquet to "put that bitch in the wall!" there's no way they're gonna prove crap. It's all he said\she said (or he said x2 if it was Piquet that leaked this one out.)
Old 09-04-2009, 08:35 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to justintime Send a message via Yahoo to justintime

theres no way he would put a car in the wall... thats the most retarded thing Ive ever heard of. maybe a nascar? but a formula one car? noo way... driver wouldnt crash cause crashing is embarrasing for starters. then theres the risk of injuring yourself on purpose, andd then your destroying a very valuable car for a team mate

omgzz
Old 09-04-2009, 08:53 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintime View Post
theres no way he would put a car in the wall... thats the most retarded thing Ive ever heard of. maybe a nascar? but a formula one car? noo way... driver wouldnt crash cause crashing is embarrasing for starters. then theres the risk of injuring yourself on purpose, andd then your destroying a very valuable car for a team mate
the theory goes that Renault hadn't won in a while, Alonso hadn't won in a while, Renault was thinking about quiting, or Sponsors perhaps pulling out... so how can "we" change things around, perhaps win? ...how about thinking up a plan that is based on a certain race situation or very specific strategy, then let Piquet crash and maybe Alonso will come out on top... they are looking for signs of a plan, maybe a certain conversation or key words via the radio that could trigger the crash. remember Piquet was under pressure to perform as well, to please his boss, to stay with the team...

it's all theory but apparently the FIA has found something to call for a meeting...

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:05 PM
μ

And we were having an interesting season without this crap too..

And I agree with Justin, you'd be hard pressed to believe a driver would punt it intentionally, granted the cars are safe and the chances of injury are less than in past years (look at Kubica in Canada) but still those cars are effing expensive! That'd be a pretty large flushing of money for the possibility that your other guy would win... I've got no love for Flav (SOB knocked up Heidi Klum, that's my job!! ) but I think that this story has the odor of bull**** about it.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:11 PM
μ

lol the cars are safer but it still knocks them up pretty dang good and hurts them. ontop of that you dont "know" whats going to happen in a crash. or atleast thats what your mindset would be. lol this reminds me of kid karts.. the things parents tell their kids to do to win...

omgzz
Old 09-04-2009, 09:13 PM
μ

its the part that they were looking for a crash that would cause a full course yellow, thats a dangerous crash. theres also the possibility of seriously injuring one of the other drivers OR having one of them run you over.. inwhich case.. lights out

omgzz
Closed Thread