motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Garage The place to show off your pride and joy. Show us your motoring masterpiece herein!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Garage

Old 06-30-2013, 04:28 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

got a few more bits on the car. changed a couple things and threw in the towel on the wing build...

ended up going to the dealership to see if they had any r53 aero wings left and there was only 4 left in the U.S. so i bought one! LOVE how it looks, real similar to what I was going to fab up. now just needs painted!
Click the image to open in full size.

new wheels, decided to ditch the kosei's after these came up on the local craigslist. 15x8 +20 TRM C1's. a little wheel gap at the moment.

picked some 12.2 wilwoods up off of nam for 300 bucks! surprisingly they fit the 15x8 trm's quite easily. havent installed them yet, waiting until my current brakes are on their last leg

GP intercooler and M7 strut bar getting a m7 polished CAI off my buddy in a couple weeks as well. hoping a ddm works Diverter for the GP intercooler comes up on the forums for sale soon. it would match the polished CAI nicely.

did some ruby red taillight tint, really cleans up the boot nicely so i dont have to look at the orange lenses.

for the wheel gap issue.....saving up for some coilovers at the moment, right now there's very minimal rubbing on the 195/55 tires lowered on my H&R springs. hopefully i can get away with not having to buy adjustable rear control arms and camber plates once the coilovers are on the car, but i doubt it.

Last edited by Roosey; 06-30-2013 at 06:45 PM..
Old 06-30-2013, 06:41 PM
μ

Brother it looks awesome! Just need the suspension dialed in
Old 07-01-2013, 07:08 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thanks man! I'm new to this coilover/camber/fitment stuff. Should be a fun new experience can't wait to see it all squared up.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Nice updates, small wheels just look so right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOSEY View Post
hopefully i can get away with not having to buy adjustable rear control arms and camber plates once the coilovers are on the car, but i doubt it.

I'd definitely go with camber plates, they make a great difference to the way MINI's handle!
Old 07-03-2013, 02:24 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

ya im really leaning towards fortune auto coilovers or BC's just because of the price and how they come with camber plates. heard great reviews on FA's and theyre also like 45 minutes from me so if i ever need a rebuild theyre just a short drive away!

i hit the buy it now button on something i probably shouldnt have tonight ...lol sadly it wasnt coilovers...yet.

Dropped the wing off at the shop to get painted today and bought a couple little things as well for the car
Old 07-03-2013, 02:51 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Nice! I was wondering how the wing was coming along.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:33 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

was hoping i'd get my wing back from the paint guy today so i could install it this weekend but seems like ill have to wait until next week now.

since i dont have that project to do this weekend im gonna tackle the joey mod on my headlights. I'm actually typing this as I'm trying to pry them apart...just removed the headlight rings. This is nerve racking as SHYT! i feel like I'm gonna break something.

She's blind at the moment (sorry i really need to buy a nice camera, it's on the list )

if anyones done this before and can give me any additional guidance it'd be much appreciated. I've read about 5 different how to's on this so i have the general idea of how it's done just dont know the little tricks behind it. figured i could substitute a blow dryer for the heatgun but it's not getting the job done at all.

Last edited by Roosey; 07-05-2013 at 11:08 PM..
Old 07-05-2013, 08:36 PM
μ

Dude preface lights suck to get apart. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I'm starting to learn that haha

EDIT: well that was a fail, tried heating with a heat gun, the oven, and more prying..no luck jack. seems the only way to do this would be to cut them open...kinda bummed. hate to just give up on them but it's not worth breaking a lense or a headlight.

Meh.

Last edited by Roosey; 07-05-2013 at 11:04 PM..
Old 07-07-2013, 02:45 AM
μ

Yea I ruined my original pair
Old 07-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

dang man that sucks. those aren't cheap either. since they were out of the car i ended up refinishing them(they were getting quite cloudy). got some 800, 100, 1500, and 2000 grit sand paper and wet sanded for a few hours until they were clear again. now they look pretty much brand new.

I've run into a small problem with my xenons though, it's been happening for awhile now...when i turn them on the pass side doesnt come on. i gotta flick them on and off a buncha times until it turns on, sometimes it takes minutes. swapped the bulbs and still the pass side does this...thinking maybe it's the ballast.

still waiting anxiously on getting the wing back from paint, hopefully within the next couple days. then ill be making a trip to the dealership to get their special $390479587349857348 dollar betalink polyurethane adhesive and get that sucker installed. ordered carbon door handles and gas cap along with some oem euro tails that I'm waiting to come in. will post pics as soon as i get them! I'm waiting to hear back from a guy in town who's got a set of AST coils he's giving away. they need rebuilt but for free you cant beat that. me and him have been playing phone tag for the past three weeks..

also going to look at a pepper white 2004 mini cooper this weekend...possibly buying it for my girlfriend for her birthday if all the financing works out. she's been talking about a pepper white mini for forever now....hopefully there will be a new mini to this forum!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Are the door handles replacements or covers? I've changed door handles twice now and hated it. Imagine some guy with his hand inside a door while he sits on the door sill laughing alone.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:34 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

nope just covers, I've heard fun stories about changing out door handles though....i'll pass
Old 07-11-2013, 09:10 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

got the hook up today and installed my Carbon fiber door handles and gas cap.

an older gentleman in my local mini club decided to give me his AST coilovers FO FREEE!!! we met up today and told me some things about them and right when i saw them i saw he did the swift spring upgrade as well!

told me he was just going to throw them out. they have 15k on them and in pretty good shape. informed me that they didnt need a rebuild when they were on his car and rode great. thinking i might throw them on the car and see what they do. i gotta by some camber plates and adj control arms in the mean time.

there is a couple issues they have though which is why he didnt keep them. nothing major

one of the rear coilover strut studs is semi stripped and the other side isnt in the best shape either but definitely not as bad. both of the dampening adjuster knobs for the front are lost, and one of the front dampening adjuster shafts is loose and pulls out. is it supposed to do that? all the other ones are stuck in there? *first time coilover owner*

anyone ever strip the top of a strut before and fixed it? thinking maybe getting a tap and dye kit and using that to rethread it back but dont want to hurt anything. also is there any remedies to prevent this from happening? he told me that some spacers might work?
pic of the strippage.

super siked! cant wait to get them in tip top shape again.

got a new mini owner as well! the lady(GooberGirl) and I bought her a Pepper white r53 yesterday...15 minutes later and back to the dealership..i was driving the car home with her and noticed white smoke in the rearview mirror, looked at the temp gauge and it was spiked all the way up. pulled over did some inspection. it ended up being a rad clamp came off and drained the coolant...were very worried at the moment this overheating could have warped the head or damaged the head gasket..its at the mini dealership where we bought it getting fixed i guess we just have to cross our fingers that nothing else got taken out, god knows how long it was spiked like that. i only noticed once i saw smoke and we were halfway home. told us we'd have it tomorrow or saturday and fixed the cam sensor that was going bad as well. we got 30 days so if the cars gonna tank it better do it soon. Dealer was very helpful though, were not paying for any of the fixes(which we shouldnt) so that's good.

50k, one owner, all the maintenance records, dealership maintained! beautiful car...
Old 07-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

That area where the threads are stripped is hollow... Not very strong to begin with... And now with the damage.... Well...

Since you got them for free.... I would send them out and get them rebuilt.... My $0.02