motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Accelerating From engines to gearboxes--tuning the parts that make your car go.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Accelerating

Old 11-23-2012, 09:21 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default Pulley "Drawbacks"?

Hey guys, just wanted to ask a quick question.. i'm looking into getting a 15% pulley for my MCS, but my dad thinks it may take years off of the car's life. is that true? all i've seen is how great the improvement is after the switch. are there any issues long-term that i would have to worry about? thanks guys.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:50 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I can't think of any drawbacks, except maybe doing it sooner. The super chargers are rated to go 100,000 miles, my first one lasted 192,000 miles, with a 15% pulley on for about 140,000 of those miles. My second charger has been on now for about 100,000 and going strong. I would suggest running a step colder plugs and a smaller belt.

There are a few threads around about super charger maintenance that might be worth looking at. Main thing that breaks is actually the gearing for the water pump.

Good luck,

Nik
Old 11-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Did you regularly change the supercharger oil as a part of maintenance?
Old 11-23-2012, 10:28 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Nope, likely would last longer if I did

Nik
Old 11-23-2012, 10:31 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Haha gotcha. my dad has his concerns about them
Old 11-23-2012, 10:37 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Konstantinos

The supercharger pulley would innately reduce the life of the supercharger, because it makes it run harder all the time. This being said, I've been running a 17% for several thousand miles, and nothing has gone wrong. The thing with the supercharger oils is that they are not a maintenance item -- i.e. MINI says that the supercharger oils never need to be changed. There is much debate about this, and no one has come to a conclusive answer as to what the right thing to do is. Superchargers naturally have a lifespan, because, as Nik said, the gearing is mated to the water pump and that whole cluster usually fails all at once -- this leads in having to replace both the charger and the pump.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:00 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

So my mini has almost 96k on it. So if I run a smaller belt to go with the 15% as well as colder plugs, would I be good not to worry about anything? What sare the chances of the water pump breaking
Old 11-24-2012, 12:03 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Konstantinos

Chances are 100% -- it will eventually fail, it's just a matter of time. There is no magic way to know exactly when it will go, but it will at some point.

But what I will tell you is that hundreds and hundreds of people run smaller pulleys. I would install it, have fun with it, and drive like there's no tomorrow because you will end up replacing the supercharger and waterpump at some point anyway--they will fail even with the OEM pulley.

In the end -- do the mod, it's well worth it.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:34 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Ahh should have seen that coming. Lol. but thanks for the help guys I'm definitely gonna look into this. I wanna go into smf for autocross next season.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:49 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

And to appease your dad, get a spare charger along w/ the new pulley!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:07 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by zch_R53 View Post
Hey guys, just wanted to ask a quick question.. i'm looking into getting a 15% pulley for my MCS, but my dad thinks it may take years off of the car's life. is that true? all i've seen is how great the improvement is after the switch. are there any issues long-term that i would have to worry about? thanks guys.
Yes, if you spin something faster, it will wear out sooner..... but it's worth it! keep in mind that MINIs very own JCW uses a 14.9% pulley so you know they've explored the pros and cons. 15% pulleys have been in use on many cars for many years now. Safe bet. I've had one for about 60k. Car has 112k on it now. My only regret was not doing it sooner.

One suggestion. Check out the condition of your belt tensioner and its bushings. While you're at it, put on a Detroit Tuned belt tensioner stop cable to protect the crank pulley in case of a broken serpentine belt. (Been there, done that)

'02 R50, '05 R53, '12 Cooper R60, '13 JCW GP
Old 11-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnna View Post
One suggestion. Check out the condition of your belt tensioner and its bushings. While you're at it, put on a Detroit Tuned belt tensioner stop cable to protect the crank pulley in case of a broken serpentine belt. (Been there, done that)
Or the Alta Stiffy Adjustable Tensioner Damper Replacement. Ask Professor, he has one installed. Sorry to be getting OT.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:08 PM
µ Leadership

I would have no worries at all running a 15% pulley on your car for the rest of its life.

Technically it will wear your charger out faster, but it wont wear out that much faster. i ran 100k with a 16% pulley on my charger and it was still very very clean and working fantastic. Just change your fluid in the charger when you put the pulley on. Examine the charger when it is out to see if it is all still in order etc and youll be fine.

Most people find out that around 100k on their mini, when they pull the charger they see that the oil is gone. So it is a good idea to check the oil level on your car as soon as you get the chance and putting a pulley on would make that chance come sooner haha
Old 11-24-2012, 06:20 PM
μ

Just do it. That is all I commend you for researching in order to understand the pros and cons good sir
Old 11-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Only drawback I know of is........once you feel the extra power with the pulley.....you will want more! Just ask most of us